SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

I need bromeliad tips

annafl
12 years ago

Everyone seems to find bromeliads easy but me. Don't get me wrong, I have a few clumps that I don't do anything to and they are indestructable and just keep expanding. Now, other ones I've bought and have put under trees for filtered sun haven't done so well. I either leave them in the pot with freely draining media and just bury the pot part-way, or I plant them very high by just securing them to high ground with a rhizome clip. The problem seems to arise not from planting them too deeply, but because leaves from the oaks fall in the cups and eventually rot out the centers. New pups will form, but these pups are even smaller that the mother pup that never reached her size potential. This happens to me a lot. Eventually, they either stagnate and don't expand, or shrink and eventually die a slow, ugly death. What is the secret? Someone once told me I should rinse out the old leaves with a pressure nozzle weekly and change the water in the cup weekly. I just don't have the time to go around the yard, lug the hose around and do that each week. Is this what I need to do? I love bromeliads and wish I had more, but I am not confident in taking care of them like others here. Help!

Anna

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths