SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Rose recommendation to replace M. Sunrise

prairie_love
11 years ago

Hi all,

I live in North Dakota, zone 3. In the last few years we have become enamored of roses and have tried several "cold-hardy" ones with varying success. Ones that do well for us are Morden Fireglow and Hope for Humanity. Both of these come back reliably with good growth. Winnipeg Parks has been less successful - it comes back but as very small plants with little growth. I am hopeful that they will grow more during the season.

The one I have been struggling with and am saddest to see this spring is Morden Sunrise. I have 10 of these. They all returned last spring and performed reasonably well last summer. We then had a dry fall and winter, probably less snow cover than usual although I do mulch heavily. Only 3 of the 10 Sunrise came back this spring and they are tiny plants. I am frustrated because this is an expensive replacement!

Do you have recommendations for me either (1) how to care for them better so they return reliably, or (2) other roses to replace with? I love the unique color of Sunrise and would like to stay with yellow/peach in this area.

Thanks for any help!

(cross-posted to Rose forum)

Comments (22)