SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Feeling those blues.

While I work on my Florida-Friendly/Native garden beds, I have a lovely wife who keeps saying, "Ooh, what if we had this?" or "Do you think you could grow me some...?" Often times I do my research and come back with an answer and more often than not it's not a very positive answer. One of the things she absolutely LOVES is berries of all sorts. I currently have raspberries and blackberries growing in containers for her. But what I'm looking at adding for her is blueberries.

I know that in general blueberries tend to do quite well in Florida, but I imagine it is much like most 'crop' plants in that it all depends on what variety you plant. Currently at my local Sam's Club they have a $16 special where you get 4 plants of two varieties (I'm guessing male/female of both types). They are both Rabbiteye varieties, with one being the Climax variety and the name of the other one escaping me at the moment. I almost purchased them on impulse, but after making numerous other mistakes in the garden/yard, I wanted to do more checking. According to UoF, Rabbiteye sees a fair bit of success in north and central Florida, but they don't really recommend the variety for locales south of Ocala (which I am by about 30 minutes... so probably 'safe').

So I wanted to check with you folks on the forums who are in the central area of Florida. What varieties of blueberries do you grow and/or which ones do you have the most success with?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County