SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yourstilniagarafalls

How do you feel about those personalized photo holiday cards...

...that feature numerous pictures of the family, dog, cat, holiday trips etc., but are otherwise absolutely blank, without so much as a signature or "Happy Holidays" written on the back?

I'm always somewhat deflated after opening these cards. They feel so impersonal, as if we were just another name on the sender's mailing list. Why bother sending anything if you can't take the time to at least write a few words to show the recipient you are thinking kindly of them?

Comments (49)

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

It all depends on who they come from. I receive a few of these from friends that I keep up with throughout the year and I like the pics that always seem to capture what they've done during the year, or show just how much the kids and pets have grown. I do receive one photo card from a woman I went to school with almost 40 years ago and haven't seen or spoken to in almost that length of time. I find that a bit odd -- we are pretty much strangers at this point, yet she keeps me on the list to receive a card showing her and the hubby (I have no clue what his name is) and the dogs.

On the other hand, with so few people sending cards anymore, myself included, I do still enjoy opening a card, even if it's just from my dentist's office. ;-)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I figure at least they got that far. Which is better than I did this year!

• Related Discussions

Perennial Lovers- how do you feel about annuals?

Q

Comments (71)
    Here's Western-y poetics for ya..... Snakeweed, Shindagger, Horsecrippler, Dogweed, Cowblinder, Rattlesnake Master, Flameflower, Scullcap, Starvation Cactus, Antelope Horns, Mosquito Grass (or Skeeter Grass if you're a real hick), Barometer Bush, Rabbitbush, Winterfat, Mormon Tea, Indian Blanket, Mexican Hats, Scrambled Eggs, Texas Yellow Star, Locoweed, Bitterweed, Scorpion Flower, Devil's Claw, Navajo Tea, Prince's Plume, Leadplant, Indian Tobacco, Desert Spoon, Beargrass, Soap Tree Yucca, Buckwheat, Firewheel, Deergrass. Beargrass and of course Sitting Bull Falls Cardinal Flower. Its not really poetry but its a bit of brief story telling. I'm not in the horticulture or nursery business so unless I need to specify or pin a species down for some reason I use the vernacular, some people frown on this. I do look them up when necessary. Semi-arid, wide skies & flat windy landscapes sounds like it would be perfect for many of the natives around here. What kind of soil, I'm interpreting that you are saying there is a lot of natural peat? BTW, wantanamara is in a primo-de-la-primo spot for native plants-- the Texas Hill Country-- the place is famous for their natives. They've got the Lady Bird Johnson Native Plant Demonstration Gardens and everything. Lady Bird did more for stirring up interest in natives than anyone else I know of. Our highway wildflower plantings, among other things, show her influence. Each year I collect gobs of seeds stored in several ziploc bulk sized baggies with various SW & prairie natives to keep my populations in check since I have more limited space than some lucky people I could mention. If I lived on an acreage, I'd just let them fall. I'd be glad to to send them later in the year for fall sowing, I try to pass them along to anyone really interested in naturalizing natives. Most are easy, low growing & long blooming making them good for naturalizing with reliable color. This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Thu, May 8, 14 at 18:20
    ...See More

How do you decorate with photo Christmas Cards?

Q

Comments (16)
    I agree with you, Oak. I did..do..love the cards that contain a letter with some photos to see like you mentioned. But I have always loved cards, silly cards or pretty cards. And just knowing someone took the time to pick out the card and write a few lines always has meant a lot to me. The cards with the name imprinted on them, and the photo cards seem to say "we're too busy for this". In fact, both my DD and my DDIL do the photo cards because they ARE extremely busy. I do understand that being the case these days. I just don't have to like it. LOL. Like Bleigh said, sometimes its physically hard to sit and do a stack of cards properly. Or at least the way I want to do them, with a short personal note and not just a signature. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even do my cards this year. I'd bought a box of them several weeks ago, and then with the decorating taking 3 wks and now Dad this week, the box just didn't even get opened. I sent a special one to my MIL in FL as we always do, and one to my very best friend in the world in OK. But looks like no one else is even getting a real card from me this year. I feel terrible about that. hugs, Karen I think a lot of folks have stopped sending them, maybe the economy? I've only gotten a few this year myself.
    ...See More

Do You Do Holiday Cards with a Pets Theme? Rescue Orgs?

Q

Comments (4)
    My brother, who owns a successful printing and publishing company in Central NY, had all of his employees bring in their dogs for pictures. He hired a professional photographer for the occasion and had Xmas props (antlers, scarves, etc.) for those who wanted them. The pictures were done on an individual basis, but put into a company card together (with the owners' names). It was SOOOO cute. On the inside of the card, Bob informed the recipients (his many clients) that a donation was being made in their name to the Wounded Warriers organization. Rather than receiving a ham or gift basket, his clients loved the card and the donation enormously.
    ...See More

Help with custom photo holiday cards

Q

Comments (15)
    With what you are looking for, you might be better off using a local quick printer like Minuteman Press. You can create an 8.5 x 11 card that folds to 8.5 x 5.5* pretty easily in any word processing program. You can import the picture you want and the border you want and then put the message you want on another page for the card interior. Print proofs on your printer until you are satisfied, then give Minuteman Press a high-quality PDF of both pages and a sample from your printer of what you want your card to look like. Ask them to create a proof for you to approve before they print anything. Quick printer staff do this all the time and should be able to help you with your project too. * Ask the staff for help if you would like to do other sizes. The printer should be able to hook you up with envelopes too.
    ...See More
  • deeinohio
    8 years ago

LOL, auntjen. I joked to my husband that, as we get older, we get more cards from those we spend money with--insurance, financial guy, real estate, dentist, new car dealer, etc--than from family and friends. But, I like them all, especially those with pictures!

• eld6161
    8 years ago

I don't mind them. They usually come from those with children so I get to see the recent pictures of how they have grown.

What I don't like is when they take the picture on a summer day and use that as the Christmas card. This just looks silly to me.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

@ellen, I got one of those--family with another family river rafting. I like any and all cards, even if from dentist. But on some, I wished they put a caption on who all is in the pic. No biggie. Strangely, I would never do the picture thing. I'm also way too lazy to write the family letter but I like reading them, even if I can only relate to a portion of what theyre talking about.

• gsciencechick
    8 years ago

I enjoy them! My graduate advisor also still sends a Christmas newsletter, and I enjoy that, too. Social media has made that a lost art.

• hhireno
    8 years ago

Actually, I much prefer them over a regular greeting card.

Nowadays, people seem to squeeze too many photos on a card so they're all small and you can't really see anyone. Pick one, maybe two photos that represent the best of your family for the year.

I don't mind if they don't write a message or if the picture is from another season. I enjoy seeing the kids grow up and the addition of in-laws and grandkids.

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Interesting! Thank you for showing me a new perspective. I guess I need to lighten up.

• User
    8 years ago

I like 'em too. The exception this year was the one 4x6 photo card with 24 photos on it. If you need a magnifying glass to view the photos you're using too many!!!

• bpath
    8 years ago

Niagara, I agree with you; I like the photo cards, but just 2 photos please and a "Happy Holidays from Aspen from Tonio and Helen, and Tim (7), Tanya (14) and of course Scooter" or something!

• 4kids4us
    8 years ago

I send them. With dh having been in the Navy for years, and with both of us far removed from most of our college friends as well as our extended families, this is one way to keep in touch as well as see each other's children grow up. For anyone we don't regularly keep in touch with or see, I do write at least a quick paragraph on the the back. I always include at least one personalized line handwritten. I try to only have one large picture, but tough getting a decent photo of all four of my kids. This year, I had three photos but they were all large enough to see well-one of my boys together, and individual ones of my girls, one that had our dog in it. I also include their ages. One of the biggest reasons I still send them out is because I love getting them in return and fear I'll eventually be dropped from the list if I'm not reciprocating. Sadly, it seems that this year, many decided they didn't have time for it (several apologized on Facebook for not doing them this year). I probably got 1/2-2/3 of what we received last year - I send out about 120 cards. My kids love getting them as well...they enjoy seeing the pictures of old family friends and extended family.

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I take issue with those who only sign their name (regular or photo card) with no update on the family, especially if you only hear from them at Christmas. It's not that difficult to write a few sentences or to craft a short version of the proverbial Christmas letter.

I got 21 cards this year....used to get 40-50. I'm sending out fewer each year as well. I think it's a tradition that is dying but if people aren't going to catch you up on how their year was, what's the point?

• dees_1
    8 years ago

I like those photo cards and feel a little bit more effort went into it than those who have their names pre-printed on the inside of a card, stick it inside an envelope, slap a return address label and a printed label with my address on it. At least some thought went into picture selection (either grouping of photos throughout the year or a posed holiday picture)....

I only got about 12 cards this year; most of them photo cards from co-workers (in different states). I had too much going on this year to send out cards but when I do, I usually write a personal greeting inside the card (including the recipient's names), hand address the envelope and slap a return address label on it. Very rare occasions, I will send baked goods to some people. That's when I have more time to manage!!

It's becoming a lost art.....

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

It's a lost art for sure. I haven't sent cards in 30 years, but I still get a few. I got a couple really nice ones - one handmade by my SIL, and another card with a picture showing wife, hubby, child and new baby. Nice. But now what do I do with it? I feel funny throwing their picture away.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

I've sent photo cards of Christmas decor I've done in the past few years and this year, I couldn't resist having one made of my 'kids', who I adore. Each person I send a card to gets a handwritten note on it, sometimes filling the entire back side, and all envelopes are addressed by hand. Add a holiday return address label, holiday stamp, and I mail them. I also receive some photo cards with an address label and nothing at all written by hand. I just couldn't do that. I also labeled each dog in the pics below on the cards I sent, so friends would know who's who!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I don't mind them at all, and in fact I look forward to ones I receive from some of our friends every year. And we even sent one last year and had several people comment on how much they liked our card. I did try to write a brief note on most of them. As to the seasonal photos, I don't care when the photos were taken. Most have been taken on a family vacation of some sort. And you do need to do some planning ahead to get an order placed by the first of Dec.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm actually about half ready to stop sending cards all together for this reason. Some like them and some don't. I've heard so many strong opinions on cards I felt like we should have sent out a poll so we're not annoying anyone in the future. I also feel if something gets to that point why bother. It's supposed to be a nice gesture.

I like both! I especially enjoy seeing photo cards from people we don't get to see often! Yet I've talked to people that think it's strange to receive photo cards when you DON'T see someone on a regular basis. "Why would I want to hang a photo of their family?"We've been doing the photo cards the past few years. I make sure there's something more than just Merry Christmas and our names printed on the card. I also hand write on the envelopes. Some people send family updates - some like that and some find it bragging and annoying. In general, if the motive isn't right for sending them, then they shouldn't go out in the first place. Some people prefer a regular Christmas card with photographs inside. You're just not going to please everyone.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 years ago

I don't mind them at all, and I'm finding I'm receiving them from the children of friends now, grown and with photos of their own growing families. And usually a pet ;) I'm happy to have them, and will often include a note in a card to them that I appreciate their effort to keep me apprised of their lives.

I would rather have those than the card I will get from a friend I see twice a week - Merry Christmas, Love S & H. Yes, Thank you, and you have told me that in person twice this week already ;)

I did get a card from friends we haven't seen in a few years, believe I talked to them once this year. A lovely photo of the two of them, their Christmas stockings hanging from the fireplace behind them, and a new return address 300 miles from where I thought they still were. No note, signature, no indication of the move, no reason as to why....so I'm left wondering, but I do know where to reach them ;)

• dedtired
    8 years ago

I enjoy the cards with photos or at least a note saying what they have been up to in the past year. I think, however, this is the last year I am sending cards. I do get some Thanksgiving cards and New Years cards from business people and from friends who are not religious (although they all exchange gifts at Christmas!). Oh well, always nice to know that someone thought of you and you have not fallen off their list.

• justgotabme
    8 years ago

YoursTilNiagaraFalls, though I enjoy getting family photos in any form, I do find it disheartening when nothing is handwritten at all on the photo card. It's funny how the more we are connected via social media and such, the less we find time to be personal in our real lives.

• lana_roma
    8 years ago

If it's a mass-mailed photo holiday card with a hurried signature only, I don't care much for it. Same goes for the mass-mailed Xmas "executive memo" type letters.

For me, holiday cards are a way to connect with people who are important to me. I write each card by hand like a short letter (6-8 lines or so). It's my way to show the person(s) I remember them and care for them. I never do mass-mailed Xmas "report" letters. What matters for me is the personal connection, not one-size-fits-all updates on someone's glorious happenings over the past year.

This year I sent 40 cards to family and friends. I have a more or less regular contact with about 20 of them throughout the year. Speaking of the rest, I have a direct contact with each of them perhaps once every 2-3 years. Nevertheless, those people played a significant part in my life at some point, like former co-workers or classmates.

Most of the people on my holiday list respond with cards in the same way, and some of them write letters on the backs of their personalized photo cards. I always enjoy reading their cards, smiling at their humor and re-visiting old memories they bring up in their notes. Some even write poetry! :-)

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Gee, I didn't realize people were so judgy over getting a card. I sent out only a few non-photo cards this year, meant to send more, but getting even those few signed, stamped, addressed and in the mail right at the deadline was all I could handle this year. It was a tough year for a lot of reasons. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Was actually happy to have actually mailed them, now, I guess not so much. : {

• 3katz4me
    8 years ago

I like them. What I find a little odd is when I get any kind of Christmas card or letter that has absolutely nothing hand written. Computer generated label, preprinted card without so much as a signature on it - makes me wonder if the people even knew they sent me something.

• User
    8 years ago

Slightly OT - I wanted to ask, those of your that make gift tags out of the old cards, how exactly do you go about that? Do you cut out something from the card? Use the entire front? Fold the front? I received some really pretty ones this year. I actually cut up and framed a gift bag that I plan to use for Christmas art in the years to come. I've never found something like that attractive enough to want to hang on my wall.

• aok27502
    8 years ago

I like the photo cards. Mostly they come from people near us, so we know how the kids have grown. But I have an album of pictures of family and close friends over the years, so it's fun to see the changes.

dees_1 said "little bit more effort went into it than those who have their names
    pre-printed on the inside of a card, stick it inside an envelope, slap a
    return address label and a printed label with my address on it." I can top that. I used to do some clerical work for a lady who had a successful business. She would get the cards printed, pick them up at the store and bring them directly to me, with the stamps and address labels. Between business and personal cards, there were probably 500. And she never touched them except to open one box and check the printing. OK, maybe for the business, but personal? Why bother??

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I'm bothered by the ones that have only pics of the kids, i.e.: the parent(s) aren't in the card as well, as if they're not part of the family. To me that card then becomes less a holiday greeting from a family than yet another instance of, "look at our fabulous children! Couldn't you just die?!"

• arcy_gw
    8 years ago

With the advent and use of Facebook the NEED for a yearly update is gone. Most people already know anything that would be shared in a Christmas letter. I am not on Facebook--so wrote my usual. In return I get cards signed, some with pictures some store bought and JUST SIGNED! It drives me INSANE. Why did they spend the $$ to send their signature out into the world? I have been anti-hallmark cards since social justice club in college. This makes me appreciate the time and thought that goes into the picture cards much more than I would ever appreciate a signed stock card. Still I like DETAILS and a good story. A well written Christmas letter if a REAL gift IMHO

• BB Galore
    8 years ago

I think the photo cards are a lovely way of showing changes in kids and grownups as we age. I love when images include a captured moment of something that happened during the family's year. I don't read any sinister meaning into store-bought cards, or photo cards, or a family newsletter. They are all a way of staying in touch, letting people know they still hold a place in their heart.

• deeinohio
    8 years ago

I'm always happy when I'm remembered in any fashion.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

we send photo cards every year-- sometimes all of us, sometimes just the kids(and pets!) i used to feel, geez, why do people need a picture of me when they know what i look like, but the kids are constantly changing!

also, it is really, really, really hard to get a pic where multiple children and pets AND both parents look decent!!! at least it has been for us! :) i try to handwrite a personal note on most. i usually haven't sent them locally to friends over the years since i always felt like 'why would people want a picture of us when they see us every day/week!?'

i tend to save almost all cards every yr(except from places like our insurance co or dentist unless it is a particularly beautiful card)... i hate to throw away pics and i do like to use cards for gift tags... shee- i cut out particular parts of the card- never use a whole 1/2... i tend to get creative with gift tags- both with what i write and how i cut them-- pretty time consuming! :/

• Bluebell66
    8 years ago

I like receiving any sort of card at all and don't mind if it's photos of just the kids or if they were taken in July. A nice photo is a nice photo, right? I have friends in Hawaii who send a photo of their family on the beach near their home - it doesn't bother me that it looks like a summer day even though it's November or December. My siblings and a few friends who have kids usually send photo cards with photos of just the kids - I don't feel at all as they're parading their fabulous children. I love to see those fabulous children! I'm just happy to be remembered and don't question the how's and why's. I do send traditional cards to a dozen or so people with a very quick note written inside.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

We've sent personalized photo cards every year since our first child was born. I find it charming that a couple people that I know actually keep them in an album. More than I can say for myself.

I do agree that a card that seems to be completely computer-generated can be a little disappointing. But you should know when you order these cards they keep marketing to all these different services so that you have to do less and less. And it is tempting. As it is I keep my address book electronically because that's only practical way to do it, I don't really see the particular charm of a handwritten address. But, I always do sign our cards. And I usually write a sentence or two.

Agree with whoever said the pictures are getting smaller and smaller and harder to see. I was guilty of that this year. And last year worse yet I had one large picture but I waterlogged it… Caught up in the trend. My husband and I are not usually in a picture… I like to think we aren't changing that much from year-to-year… Of course we probably are, but who wants to see that? I am sensitive to the sentiment by some that these cards can veer into bragginess. That's one reason why I would never do a family letter… Because after all no one would put the bad stuff in there… So it is braggy, isn't it? It doesn't I mean don't like to receive them, who isnt a little bit nosy?

• hhireno
    8 years ago

One year friends sent a funny picture card of only the parents with a message about how much they've changed. It was a bold and amusing move.

I know it's hard to get everyone looking ideal in one photo but a card with too many photos, because someone can't edit, is hard to appreciate.

My husband saves the old cards for a year or two then throws them out. I go through and save the photo cards of closer friends and relatives. Once I couldn't figure out who the people in the photo were. The one picture of the adults was from a distance so I couldn't get a good look and the kids were generically cute kids but not anyone I knew. It was preprinted with first names only and I didn't recognize the names. Hours later I realized it was someone who had been in an organization with me but she went by a nickname and the card had her formal name. She wasn't in the organization very long so that's why I forgot about her within two years. Needless to say, I didn't save the card but I did enjoy the little mystery (who is this? Do you know them? Why do we have it?).

• mayflowers
    8 years ago

I got one from a niece and her husband. It had three photos-- one of their cat, one of them at a summer wedding, and a close-up of their faces of the same photo. The caption read "Making Spirits Bright", which made me laugh because it's certainly not her brightening anything. She has ruined a few Christmas get-togethers because she's so spoiled, so now my sisters don't even do Christmas together. All the photos had been posted on FB for her 200 friends and relatives to see, and the life update printed on back had also been chronicled on FB.

I'd rather have a pretty card. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Sheeisback - thank you for what you wrote: Instead of assuming someone is sending a card for wrong reasons it might be nice to just be thankful someone thought well enough of you to want to send a card. If their motive was wrong that's on them. And previously you noted: "It's supposed to be a nice gesture." Yes, exactly that. It's supposed to be something nice on it's own. You pay for the photo or regular cards, stamps, look up addresses of people to whom you want to give a wish for a happy holiday, fill out the envelopes, sign the cards stamp and mail them. And then some get annoyed.

Yes, of course, adding a personal note would be ideal, but really, it's sad to think recipients would be so affronted if just the greeting is all some can manage.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

gramarows, I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. I always appreciate that someone thought of me and included me on their Christmas card list, and I enjoy seeing how their kids have grown and changed...

AND I feel the way I described above when I receive a card that has a pic or pics only of the kids.

This thread specifically asks what we think about these cards. I think we're all just expressing how we feel when we get them. I don't think people should be corrected for saying how they really feel when they get a card in a thread asking how it makes them feel.

In fact, it might be interesting for some to learn how their cards are being received, for good or for bad.

• jooanie5
    8 years ago

I don't think a Christmas letter needs to be braggy. I do one every year and it is "just the facts, ma'am." A sentence or two about each kid...I do mention graduations or weddings....i.e." Connie graduated from Any University and is working in marketing. John got married in May and he and wife Katie, a nurse, have settled down in Cityville."

I have a friend whose kids are all super bright and accomplished and she would get carried away in her annual letter. It really did come across as bragging when she would mention awards, scholarships, they are class president, and the like. Ugh! I just get photo cards from her now, no letter, so not sure if she's just not sending the letter to us or has stopped doing them.

And obviously I don't mind xeroxed letters....it seems silly to handwrite the same thing over and over. I do add a few handwritten sentences to personalize it.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

That's fair, Joanie. The ones I've received are a bit different. But even so, I'm happy to receive them I just would feel odd writing them.

• jooanie5
    8 years ago

Sheeisback.....I use old cards for gift tags. I will do the half card usually or will sometimes cut out a design. I use a hole punch in the upper left corner and attach with ribbon or cording.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Oooh, great idea, Jooanie5!

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Exactly. It's nice to see even a smiley face or signature, just something handwritten. We mail stock cards, and it would seem very odd to send them blank, with nothing at all written inside. Do people (other than our stockbroker and dentist) do this?

• hhireno
    8 years ago

Only one of the cards we received had a hand written note. The others just had signatures. I think that's why I prefer photo cards, I enjoy seeing your picture more than just looking at your signature. A picture shows me something that happened during your year, even if it's just we went to Olan Mills in matching Xmas outfits. A card preprinted with a greeting and your signature only tells me I'm still on your mailing list.

If it brings you joy to stay in touch with people via cards, then for heaven's sake, keep doing it. Don't allow an anonymous internet chat make you feel badly and doubt yourself. Assume the best that they will fondly think of you when they receive it. If it's a burden, then stop.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Tib, I'm not "correcting" anyone, just giving my own opinion on some comments that were not about photo cards per se, but on people's reactions to getting cards with only a signature instead of a personal note. Since I've already admitted to doing just that this year, (but actually also over the last several years) and thought I was doing good each year to just getting the cards out, I am really surprised at those reactions because it never ever would have occurred to me that any of the recipients might have been complaining when they received mine, because I've been very happy just to get a signed card as the sender was obviously thinking enough of me to send one.

• bossyvossy
    8 years ago

About braggy letters. Well, do you really want to hear that Timmy failed algebra, DH lost job, you got sued b/c Fido bit neighbor? People who write those letters want to share the good not be the Christmas Debbie Downer. Better that they be braggy than depressing.

• YoursTilNiagaraFalls
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not to that extreme bossyvossy, but I do appreciate more candid letters (sharing real life's ups and downs instead of the highlights reel). I don't find it depressing.

• nini804
    8 years ago

I have sent photo cards since my oldest was a baby. I love receiving photo cards...I had no idea that there are people who don't like them! In my demographic, which is families in the midst of raising children...photo cards are the norm. People do some amazing layouts and really creative cards... It is so fun to see what everyone has come up with. I love them all. Makes getting the mail so much more exciting in December. One of my best friends and her husband are incredibly funny and creative and come up with the most amazing cards each year. Last year they did a Downton Abbey theme, but changed the name to Downton "Their street name." They and each child dressed as a character (photo shop was involved) and the whole group was photoshopped in front of the real Downton Abbey house! It was awesome!

i have another friend who is so smart and wickedly funny, besides being an incredible writer. Her Christmas letter has had me literally laughing out loud with tears streaming down my face it was so funny! Who wouldn't love getting that in the mail? I love Christmas letters, even the ones that might be construed as a bit braggy....who cares? It it interesting to hear what everyone is up to!

last thing...I try to put a little note on most of my friends' cards that live far away, but I never judge people who don't! We are all busy and who knows what might be going on right then. Getting a Christmas greeting in the mail is just a fun tradition, and I hope it never goes away entirely!

• K Sissy
    8 years ago

At least they aren't as bad as the newsletters that some people send, to just show off. It reminds me of that episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond", where Ray and Deborah receive one of those newsletters that we all hate to get!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

For years now, I have sent out photo cards, but they are the folded kind like regular greeting cards. Inside I have a haiku I've written that relates to the cover photo. If there is a pic of us, it's on the back of the card. I'm pretty sure some people don't realize it's a card I've made...but I enjoy doing it. Often they are photos from our property I've taken in winter after a particularly luscious storm.

This was one I sent after our Danube trip...the pic of the statue of St. Elizabeth, Alzbeta Durinska, a 13th century princess who renounced her title and led a life devoted to the poor, located on the grounds of Bratislava Castle, Slovakia.

The haiku:

A time to reflect

Compassion stirs gratitude

Love's whispers bring joy

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert