SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Perennial Lovers- how do you feel about annuals?

I posted this question some years ago on a different forum. Thought we could kick it around here too...

So I assume we all love our perennials here (this being the Perennials forum after all, lol). But how do you guys feel about annuals?

*And by annuals I mean plants that are truly annuals and those that are tropical (etc) grown as annuals by those of us in cooler zones...*

You...

1) use them as much as perennials/rely heavily on them for extra color.

2) use hardly ever- you would prefer to plant something only once. If you do have annuals they are likely to be natural re-seeders...

If you do enjoy annuals, do you plant them amongst the perennials or plant them all in a special bed? Maybe all or most of them are confined to containers and baskets? Do you buy your plants or prefer to start them yourself?
---

I have mixed feelings when it comes to annuals. Some years I get excited to try a whole bunch of different ones and get all artsy-fartsy with color combos. Then other years I ask myself why I spend so much $$ when I could get some super special and pricey perennial I've long lusted for instead.

For awhile there I got into starting my own annuals (indoors and WS'ing). I've gotten too busy for that lately, except for a few curiosities I can't buy locally. I'm hoping to start some variegated corn and direct sow a few other things this year ((if I don't procrastinate...again)).

I'm lucky in the fact that I work at a nursery and have a nice discount on purchases. I have a tray-full of annuals tucked away in one of our greenhouses that I will stuff in a few hanging baskets and pots. I don't plan to plant up all my pots with annuals this year though- many pots are designated for my hot pepper starts and basil!

I like having some in smaller containers so I can move them around the garden when an area lacks color or a raggedy looking plant needs to be hidden.

I overwinter a number of annuals too, things I can't live without/can't bear to throw out every year. Variegated Abutilon, Oxalis triangularis, Iochroma, a few favorite coleus, unique fuschias etc.

So how do my fellow perennial lovers feel about annuals?
CMK

Comments (71)