SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Walter's Viburnum and Simpson's Stopper

manature
14 years ago

Just wanted to "report" that of everything in my yard, the best looking plants after our 8 nights in a row of hard freezes would be Walter's Viburnum and Simpson's Stopper. They both look better than ever, like they enjoyed the cold snap.

I think my WV is a dwarf one, though that wasn't what I intended to get. The Simpson's Stopper will make a small tree. Both have nice smallish white blooms that seem to attract bees and butterflies, and the stopper has an attractive orange fruit on it. I will definitely be getting more of them.

I'm hoping I can find some full sized WV at Lukas or somewhere, as I could use a larger shrub here and there. The glossy green leaves on this are very pretty and make a great backdrop for annuals or flowering perennials.

More WV, more Simpson's stopper, and more coral honeysuckle for me. And maybe more Carolina jessamine. Those guys outperformed everything in my yard. Except for all the the rudbeckias: trilobas, lanciniatas, and submentosas. They didn't lose a single leaf, either.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of starting nearly from scratch every spring, so I'm taking good notes here on what I want to replant with. I'm getting too old for this!

Marcia

Comments (16)