SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Hardy 'Tropical' shrubs

Well, my tropical corner survived the winter and is putting on some good growth now that spring is in full swing. It's on the southern side of my home with my lanai blocking winds from the east. But from the west there's not a lot to stop the winds. There is a large sand oak and some red cedars about 100-150 yds away and they do break the wind some. But thanks to the layout of the park I am in, a few times during the winter, northwestern winds would get funneled between my house and my southern neighbor.

What I would like to do is put a fairly dense shrub or two on the western edge of this tropical plot to break the wind. There are loads of options available for this job, but I am looking for ones that help give that tropical feel. I had thought maybe Ixora, but it seems that this is a tender shrub that would only stop the first or second cold front before needing to be replaced itself. Another option would be a Simpson Stopper, but while Iike the look of the Stopper, it doesn't really say "Tropical". It should also be noted that during the summer months the spot they will go in will get hard sun from about 9:30 through the rest of the day.

Comments (15)