SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walteryensid

Need Help with an Evergreen Tropical Tree/Tall Shrub in Zone 7...

walteryensid
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am hoping someone has some thoughts on my need here considering the nurseries around here either think I am crazy or they do not know what to offer. I am in NC, Zone 7a/b.

I have created a pretty tropical looking area around my outdoor bar. I have fatsias (which are really looking amazing), bananas (getting tall now), cannas, cast irons, plum yews, etc. Problem is that everything, except the fatsia die to the ground (I think I have created micro-climate for the fatsias due to their location as they grow even in the winter). I do wrap the bananas in bubble wrap, so they start out of their big stalk, but look like Stormtroopers during the Winter (at least my son thinks they do. haha).

I am trying to find an evergreen that will be green throughout the winter and be fast-growing. I have looked at several options and want to share if anyone has any of these, have opinions, or has some good ideas for something better. I have searched the Internet to come up with this list.

Lastly, the location I am trying to fill is on the corner of a pathway where people enter the bar. I really want something that is an impressive entrance. Next to it is a hydrongea and across the path are fusion cannas. I wanted to get something that could get tall and create a canopy (trim the below branches when big enough). This location will be protected from the sun, but will get some late day sun. Also good protection from wind.

So, what I have looked at is Schefflera Taiwaniana/Yuan Shan (which Monrovia says is very hardy...love the leaves on this one), Schefflera Delavayi, S. Arbicola. I have also thought of going with another fatsia, trying to find a variety that gets bigger (saw a few pics of ones you can really create a canopy). Also wondered about a non-running bamboo. Bed is only 4 or 5 ft wide.

I appreciate any help someone can offer. Really want something tropical, that is evergreen, has a signature look when people come into the bar area, etc.

Thank you ahead of time.

Tom

Comments (2)