SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

tall 50 foot zone 7 tree that produces food for squirrels and rabbit?

Going to plant something large near where a V-shaped Maple was that had to be removed due to a crutch rot.

Was just going to plant maple saplings I have but figured I'd plant something that makes food for squirrels etc. Zone is basically between 6 and 7 New Jersey.

Photos are a list of ok'd tree to plant in this town but I don't think they'd care if I planted something similar not on the list surely there must be hundreds or more similar trees they wouldn't list them all.

Main thing I want is a large tree which can eventually reach at least 50 feet. and if it can produce food that's a plus. An acorn oak would be a good choice but for some reason isn't on the list. Surprsingly Sweet Gum is listed and those spikey things are outlawed in some states I've read.

I know it takes like 20 years even for acorns to produce but at least one day it will. Same for pine nuts etc, I wanted a pine tree to begin, pine nuts or not, but also Pine is not on the list for some reason and ones which produce pine nuts might be too cold here for (and hard to find not from seed and I want to buy a starter plant online now to plant in the next few weeks). Neighborhood large trees above about 30 feet are almost all Maples about 50 feet tall, and there's one or two Pines which are slightly the tallest.

Each section in the pictures on the right shows Large Medium or Small. I also want about 3 Small trees for along the curb where trees once were planted by the developer but many have been removed for damaging sidewalk or maybe growing through powerlines too much. I will definitely stick to the Small trees only on the list which are all ok'd for sidewalk AND underpower lines (about 25 feet up). Medium trees are OK'd for sidewalk where there's no powerlines but I wouldn't risk a Medium because could buckle sidewalk and then remove it to re-do sidewalk. The soil here is rather clay like about 2 feet down so things tend to root sideways.

For the sidewalk, I'm between planting something that can produce food and something that just smells good from a distance. I prefer white flowers not pink, but if it changes from pink to white is fine. Might plant 3 fragrant flowering Small trees and one Crabapple along street.

do you have any suggestions? I want to buy online now remember and hoping not expensinve. There are plenty of nurseries around here too maybe they will happen to have what I'm looking for so I don't have to pay shipping and also will probably get a larger starter. thank you

Comments (15)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor