SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wannabegardnr

My questionable purchase: Picea Omorika Pendula Bruns

wannabegardnr
10 years ago

This plant was on my list, and the nursery was recommended here last week. So I went as soon as I learned their new shipment had arrived. But they did not have a Picea Omorika Pendula Bruns in their new shipment. They had this old one sitting there for who knows how many seasons. Nursery owner called it ugly, and said it's obviously unhappy in the pot, but he thought it should do okay once in the ground. He said it still has buds.
What I thought - the top looked healthy, and if it grew a little sidewise, it would hide all the old growth, as the plant is small enough. I did not slip it out of the pot to look at the roots.
Is this a goner, aka lesson learned for next time? Do I have a decent chance with proper planting and watering?
It has an Iseli tag on it if that matters.

Is bamboo stick and Velcro plant ties okay for staking? How far from the base does the stick go? Or do I attach the new stick to the old stick? Is there a trick to minimize root damage? Do I stake now or wait until planted in 3 weeks or so? All the tops are beyond the existing stakes and bending.

This post was edited by wannabeGardnr on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 10:30

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting