SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artbysheryl

Moving to 1b-2a

sheryl_ontario
11 years ago

This summer I will be living in zone 1b-2a, having moved last summer from southern ON, zone 5b-6a. It's a change for me and I am already finding it a bit frustrating. It's not so much the temps as the short time span that is the problem!

Last summer we decided it was time to up stakes, sell all of our belongings, and become semi-retired. We now live in a big 5th wheel camper all year long in BC. We operate a campground in Stone Mountain Provincial Park in the northern Rockies during the summer and plan spend the winters in the Okanagan.

The place we work for the summer (started there last year) is across the Alaska Hwy from the campground and is zone 1a-2b. Since this is our summer home, even though we don't own it, I will be starting a few small raised gardens there this year.

I had huge gardens in ON and would like to do just a little gardening up here, but the season is so short and the ground is rocky, not to mention the prolific ungulate wildlife that eat everything!

Anyway, I'm determined to give it a try and am looking for seeds for things that will grow up here. I am going to start an asparagus bed (I know it takes years) and grow some herbs like mints, feverfew, chives and oregano.

I will build a small greenhouse for seedlings to get a start before going into the ground. I will also scoop up all the wild poop piles from last year, laying around everywhere to add to the garden soil and chemical free too!

I plan to make these raised gardens, filling with local soil from woodland pockets, storebought and old manure, etc. The soil is thin there and it's rocky, but there are pockets of good earth in the woods, although it's fairly acidic from the spruce. I have a box of garden lime to add to it, for the tomatoes anyway.

Any recommendations as to plants to grow? There are lilacs and wild roses already there, as well as wild alpine blueberries, wild strawberries, fireweed, yarrow and potentilla. I have some haskap seeds that I know will sprout as I have grown them before and plan to start a few of those to go with the wild berries. Not sure if they will survive there or not. We move into the Park compound in the next couple of weeks. I already have spouts to start with.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor