SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

New Tornado WATCH Until 2:00 A.M.

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

I thought I was through posting these, but then this one popped up...and my county is included this time. Oh good, now I'll sleep really well.

Y'all be sure your weather radio's Alert feature is turned on. We don't want any storms sneaking up on anyone.

You can see the 20-something counties in this new watch at the link below.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tornado Watch Until 2:00 a.m.

Comments (3)

• p_mac
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Holy #$!@!%!!!!! This is getting really, REALLY old. Those weather radio's can get annoying...but they can save a life. Hope all our GW members over in those directions use theirs anyway. I've got mine on...at a really low volume. Thank goodness I'm a light sleeper and can listen in...then go back to sleep or get up and check the radar as warrants.

Try to sleep well, Dawn. You've worked overtime this night. (yeh, I know. I bumped this thread down a bit, but thought it was worth it.)

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

WOW, What a night of storms. It was hard to know which ones to watch since they were all over the map tonight. So far, we have had rain, thunder and lightening, but nothing more. We are still getting a lot of thunder and it now appears that the worst part of the storm will go just south of us. At least, that's what I'm banking on. LOL Our ground was already saturated so this will just add to the problem. I will probably be out there 'trenching' and trying to move some water tomorrow.

Dawn, I was wondering if your blood pressure was going up as you were trying to keep up with the storms. Your efforts are appreciated, however, since you know a lot more about weather than most people do. Thanks for trying to keep everyone safe.

• Related Discussions

Tornado Watch Thru 10 PM

Q

Comments (3)
    Several tornado warnings are up, including a tornado on the ground near Newcastle headed towards Moore. KFOR live chopper video showing power flashes.The other tornado-warned storm as I type this is headed from the Duncan area eastward, including several other counties like Garvin County and NW Carter County. Geez, I go to Texas for an hour or so and y'all let all kinds of storms pop up while I was gone. Who was in charge of storm suppression today? Go to NWS Norman webpage to see tornado warning areas. D Here is a link that might be useful: Norman NWS Webpage
    ...See More

Monday's First Tornado Watch Just Issued

Q

Comments (4)
    This is making me just a bit nervous! I have moved all my plants to reasonably safe locations. I have lots of beautiful babies for my butterflies that I have painstakingly grown and tended to this year. Plants that you do not find anywhere local, and some that only have 1 source for them at all. So, I will hope for the best since I've done what I can. I have no shelter near by - or that's what they tell me every time I call to ask for info. They say, "there is none in your location". So, I have plans to use my interior hallway and a mattress, if need be. Hopefully, they will go around me as they have in the past. Y'all take care out there, too! Susan
    ...See More

Northern OK New Tornado Watch Thru 4 A.M.

Q

Comments (1)
    Bumping this down.
    ...See More

Northern OK Tornado Watch Fri Till 1 a.m.

Q

Comments (1)
    bumping this down
    ...See More
  • Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have to laugh at myself here because the weather radio woke me up at 2 a.m. and once the 16-year-old dog and I were awake, we couldn't fall back asleep. So, she's falling back asleep here on the floor finally, and I'm wide awake and just hoping to fall back asleep before sunrise. We're under a T-storm watch here until 9 a.m. and I see lightning to our west/northwest but the radar shows the storms well north/northwest of us. This line of storms runs from southwestern OK all the way to Little Rock and still looks pretty wicked.

The Ada and Pototoc County area have had trouble with their storm cell all night long. This is a storm that started in Stephens County, went through Garvin County and slowly meandered across southern OK all night long. It was still throwing funnel clouds off when I went to bed sometime after 10 p.m. but the primary threat seemed to be hail because the funnels by then weren't touching down, although earlier ones had. I bet the folks in Pototoc County haven't slept well tonight.

Paula, We have our weather radio set for all the counties around us....Love (that's us), Carter, Murray, Bryan, Pototoc, Jefferson, and -- in Texas, Cooke and Montague. Normally our most damaging storms come from Montague County, enter Love County/Jefferson County to our west and then tear up Love and Carter counties. Sometimes it is annoying, but I'd rather lose some sleep than wake up as our house is being torn to shreds around us...or, even worse, never wake up again. If severe weather is really threatening, the County Emergency Mgmt Dir. has the dispatcher set off our fire pagers too so the spotter can go out and storm spot. Sometimes in the spring I feel like I never sleep.

Carol, It certainly was a night to remember. I had my TV on The Weather Channel which, naturally, went wall-to-wall with Oklahoma storm coverage for hours (which I appreciate), and hopped back and forth from the Norman Enhanced Weather Page to watch for watches/warnings to this forum to post them. Every now and then I pulled up the WFAA radar to see what the storms looked like on radar and it was just awful. Meanwhile, it was hot, mostly sunny and almost quiet here. We'd had riproaring winds all day long transporting clouds heavily laden with moisture from Texas to OK so I knew it would be an awful evening when all that moisture hit the fronts up in northern OK...and it was. Oddly, once everything went nuts up there, the weather quieted here. Storms tried to build up to our SW in Wichita Falls and the towering clouds were starting to scare me, but by then the sun was setting and they lost the daytime heating that would have fueled them.

I wouldn't say my blood pressure was up, but I definitely felt like I had to keep posting watches or warnings as long as I could keep up. You never know when someone who's not paying attention to the weather might log on to our forum and see severe weather is approaching them. Last week, here in Love County a lot of people lost their satellite TV reception (we didn't) so could only follow the weather on KXII if they still had it or via the internet or social networks like Facebook or Twitter. I am amazed at how many ways we can try to follow weather and stay safe.

One of my neighbors often reminds me that the used to have to rely on how the weather 'felt' or 'looked' to know if they needed to spend the night sleeping on the floor of the in-ground storm cellar. We have it so easy by comparison.

I hope this was our last big round of wicked weather for May, but know it might not be. Unless they changed the forecast overnight or change it with the 7 a.m. update, at least part of OK still will be in the 'slight risk' area. (sigh)

At least all the researchers from OU, Texas Tech and others affiliated with the VORTEX 2 tornado research project had a chance to track and observe more storms. I wonder how many tornadoes there were here in OK yesterday? Ten? Fifteen? Twenty? If no one died, then we have to be the luckiest state in the union because those were some intense storms.

Anybody want to bet we now start seeing the June-like hot temperatures arriving and ruining our garden fun?

Carol, you don't have to thank me...but you're welcome. I suspect today will be a flooding day...there's flood watches and warnings all over and more rain will fall today. It sure would be nice if we could have received some of this May rain in July or August instead of getting it all at once in May.

I'm hoping we can focus a little more on gardening and a little less on the wicked weather, but you know that here in Oklahoma, more so than in some places, the two are intertwined. I know every geographic region has its own weather-related gardening challenges, but our weather seems so violent this year. Heavy rain alone would be challenging enough, but then we have had endless tornadoes, high wind and hail in every size you can imagine. It makes me wonder what's next. A plague of locusts? Probably. And that reminds me. I'm seeing a new hatch of little hoppers and need to put out Nolo Bait in the next day or two.

Dawn