SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nebancsvirag

No more gardening for this girl.............

nebancsvirag
18 years ago

Well, the verdict is in.

Irene is not permitted in the garden ever again.

OK,

I can live with that,

as long as irene happens to be YOU.

What do you mean no???????

according to all these magnificient MD,s that is the final verdict.

Dear Ladies.

to whom I owe plants,

do come and get something wonderful, before the landscapers do away with everything they can not take care of.

You can nor believe the number of orchids they disposed of , not knowing what they were taking, or throwinf out.

I will love seeing you all, having tea,

coffee

hungarian vine

or whatever with you,

most of all,

i wiould lcve to vist with you again.

Happy thoughts to all,

i domt see as well as i would like, if i mad lots of mistakes, forgive me,PLSIrene

Comments (23)

• fuzzy
    18 years ago

Oh, Irene. I am very sorry to hear this. I hope you find a landscaper who will let you keep at least a few of your low-care favorites... and perhaps your husband can help tend them while you watch??

• Seavee
    18 years ago

I am terribly sorry as well. I always hate to hear that people can't keep their gardens because of health. I wish I could help somehow. I do hope you get to keep a few and find good homes for the rest.

• Related Discussions

Little garden girl (pics)

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks everyone, she is my little buddy. It is so nice to see how excited she gets over the littlest things. Jordan has been carrying bean around the house since yesterday. She announced the he is her "best friend". We started 2 seeds on paper towels so she could see the roots start to develop and then transplanted into the plastic cup last weekend. When she came over yesterday it was really tall. It is so funny to watch her move it around the house so "he" can watch her play. He was also a tree for her cars and later a tree at her playhouse. She will have her own very little garden at their mobile home. We are growing some peas in paper pots we made and they are ready to be planted (been hardened off). The problem is the weather is not cooperating...way to wet between the snow and now rain. The peas are going to need a trellis soon. She will also have a rainbow of bush beans in yellow, green and purple. We also have some broccoli ready to plant out as it is one of her "favorite" vegetables. "Favorite" and "best friend" seem to be her nicknames for quite a few things lately. I am also going to let her grow some special things at my house too. We have Jack-be-little pumpkins, baby boo pumpkins, tigger melons, sugar baby melons, pumpkin tree, many kinds of flowers and lots more veggies. She likes "little" things thus the small pumpkins and small melons...besides melons "are my favorites" LOL. (There is a long story involved in pumpkin picking last fall over not finding one little enough.) It is quiet time right now as she is finally taking a nap...I wish I had a tenth of her energy. Kim
    ...See More

My first totem - Glass Garden Girl

Q

Comments (13)
    Adorable!! Love the colors for her!! My Garden Ladies have so far been clear. You definitely will need something flat and large on the bottom to keep her from being tipped over. I mostly use microwave trays that I pick up at GW. They can be covered with mulch or dirt. Here are a couple of my Garden Ladies that I've covered the bottom plates on. Seal well with silicone, so they don't sweat. Ladies don't like to sweat! LOL Mine are a couple of years old and holding up well. I do take them in for our winters here in Ohio. They're a lot taller than they look here! LOL Poor angle...and a tall planter! Poor lighting too...you hardly even notice the little one in the top part of the planter! ~Sandy~
    ...See More

One more shot of Hula Girl blooming strong

Q

Comments (2)
    Wow! Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    ...See More

Update from me, who used to play with her girls in the garden.

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Stacey, not sure why you would have been banned. That is really a strange thing. But in any case I am glad you are back and hope you are strong and continue your recovery and enjoy those little kids of yours. Thanks for letting us know. Take care, your friend, Duane.
    ...See More
  • AmberSky
    18 years ago

Oh Irene, I am so sorry. Perhaps you can madly container garden in the house?

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Irene, I wish I lived closer. I would adopt you! I'd take care of your garden for you. I'm so sorry.

• nebancsvirag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Afternoon Everyone.
    Well, i managed to walk around outthere a little bit this morning.
    What a pleasant time, the temperature was just right for a walk with a cup of coffee, and dreams floating around in my head.
    Our neighbors convinced one of the "landscape" companies working in here, to consider taking us on as clients.
    You have no idea, when we interviewed the so called landscapers, the first thing from them was- we dont weed, we dont take care of those plants, we dont, etc
    This one came in, and first cleaned up, de-weeded the gardens, trimmed the bushes and trees etc.
    I managed to loose dozens of orchids, they did not realize the ones hanging from the trees were supposed to be there. also lost most of the azaleas, and a whole lot of plants i wish i could have kept.
    But,
    I still have a garden, even if i cant be a gardener.
    All i have to figure out, is how i am going to keep 150+ rose bushes happy, and the orchid garden, which we have just recently completed, taken care of.
    these areas no one wants responsibility for.
    Never mind, somehow we will manage.
    I shall continue to read all about your adventures, if i may, and garden through your fingers.
    You all stay happy,
    Irene

• julieyankfan
    18 years ago

150+ roses!! Wow! Are they all yours?

Since I've been home, gardening is my distraction from life (and reading). I don't know what I would do without it. It gets my mind off of all the crap I'm going through.

So, how are you doing? I think the last time you posted, you were having surgery. Did it go ok?

Julie

• nebancsvirag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Julie,
    Yes I had one surgery, they cut into the optic nerve of the right eye. Was sort of a success, i have some vision improvement.
    Now the left one has to be done, and then a shunt needs to be placed in the brain, to reduce the pressure of the fluids.
    I have to wait with both, untill my lungs feel like cooperating.
    As things stand, i can not undergo general anesthesia.
    Things could be worse, so we go on each day, and look for the rainbow that is sure to be around the corner.

Yes, i have all those roses, they are a pleasure to see from the rooms.

I love gardening so much, and for me, getting my hands into the soil was the sure fire way to forget everything, and renew myself.
    Looking forward to the days again, as i refuse to believe the finality of these experts.
    Chin up--
    Irene

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Irene, I hope you heal, and I hope your new surgeries are a success. You've been through so much. I remember your stories from last year's hurricane season.

I'm curious, are your roses Hybrid Teas? Or are they Antique roses like Chinas, Teas or Noisettes? I grow Antique roses for a few reasons. They don't need much, and they grow big and voluptuous. I just don't have the time to garden like I want to, so my plants need to be fairly tough.

If your roses don't make it through this transition in your life, you might get enjoyment in a few Antique roses - I'm sure we could arrange to have a few planted in your garden for you... :)

Nicki

• bruggirl100
    18 years ago

Irene, knowing "landscapers" the way I do, I doubt if their taking your orchids was a mistake. That's an old scam. Just cut the limb out of the tree and sell the orchid. They know what orchids are, and they'll steal 'em in a heartbeat! My neighbor, God rest her soul, had a landscaper who tried to do that once when she was up north. I caught him and asked him where he was taking the orchids. He turned about 20 shades of red and said "I'm moving them so we can prune the tree". I said "It's not the right time of year to prune that grapefruit tree, and you know that. If you don't, you shouldn't be calling yourself a landscaper. Now put the da#$^ orchids back before I call the police." I told her about it, and she called them. This was a new guy who had been working with them less than a month. They checked out his house, and he had about 200 orchids there, probably all stolen from someone's trees. If someone has a lot, and you take one or two, they think you won't notice.

I wish I was there so I could help you, but I can't even take care of my own yard! LOL

• Lady
    18 years ago

Oh Irene I am so sorry to hear you can't enjoy playing in the dirt anymore. I am not sure what I would do in your position, possibly there is another hobby that you can find great joy in. I hope you find someone who can tend to your garden so you can enjoy it, try calling the local garden club to see if they can recommend someone. I hope you heal quickly and any remaining surgeries are successful!

• nebancsvirag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Afternoon Everyone.
    Nicki, My rose selections were based partly on whim, hoping for fragrance in colors i liked.
    All of them are on fortuniana rootstock, and there are some HT, mostly floribundas and grandifloras.
    There are some, i know i will be saying so long to in the very near future, and replacing them as you suggest is probably a smart thing to do,
    Where do you find your roses? and do they also have to be on fortuniana rootstock?
    'I would love to find out more about antique roses in Florida.
    Bruggirl,
    While we all want to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, it seems to get harder and harder.
    This is the only "landscape"company working in here who also will do weeding and maintenance of the shrubs/trees.
    This is important to us, as i am so limited to what i can do and when. We all hope for the best.
    Lady10,
    So nice to hear from you as well.
    The last time i walked in the garden, i looked at the ice cream banana you have so kindly shared with me, and can you picture this huge stem looking back at me, but wait, there is a companion, almost the same height. Looks like she is happy. Perhaps soon, she will surprise me with a nice bunch of bananas/ I have the ice cream maker on stand by.
    The cluster of red cannas are blooming their head off as well.
    The walking irises from the same afternoons treats is in her permanent spot, and has become 3 nice big clusters already.
    The guilt for still owing you all a trade is weighing on my shoulders.
    Wish you could all stop by and relieve the stress.

On a really up-side,
    My orchid garden is nearly complete, only the irrigation has to be hooked up.
    The fried lady slippers were placed in their new home first, and every single one has taken off and started to grow like i have never seen before.
    The phals have just finished flowering since last Christmas, and i see the beginnings of buds forming on most of the flower stems. the oncisidiums are blooming unexpectedly, wandas have burst with the most wonderful shades of color, even the cats look like they are expecting.
    All in all,
    there is a huge sigh of relief from the orchids.
    I am so happy for them.
    I realize i got carried away, and have way too many of them.
    If we come across someone who really likes them, perhaps we can share..
    You all have a great weekend,
    Irene

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

Hi - so sorry to read of your troubles = (

Forgive me if this is way off base, but is there any way you might find a neighborhood kid to work around your garden for money - doing the extra little things the landscaper won't?

• julieyankfan
    18 years ago

Irene, don't let the doctors get you down!!! I can't tell you how many people I know who have proven them wrong.

Carolb had a great idea. If not one kid, how about a girl or boy scout troop? From what I remember, that might help earn someone a badge. Also, a lot of the high schools have a community service requirement before you can graduate. You might be able to arrange a whole list of kids who need the hours.

I planted my first rose in Florida this past spring. It's a lavender Neptune, but it's on Dr. Huey rootstock, so I don't know if it'll last. So far it has been beautiful. Next spring, I'm going to try an antique rose or two.

Julie

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Irene, your orchid garden sounds really lovely.

The roses I grow are on their own rootstock. The China class is especially resistant to nematodes. I've bought most of my roses locally at the Seminole Springs Antique Rose and Herb Farm in Sorrento. I've ordered some through mail-order from Antique Rose Emporium and Chamblees Roses out in Texas. I take cuttings and root them over the winter. I have a rooted rose here at the office ready for me to pack up and send out to someone... I can't believe it's taken me so long to get this plant out in the mail! Shame on me...

But my garden is over six years old now, and the roses are unstopable. They are beasts... and now I see I planted them all way too close. :)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

Oh boy - I can't believe I forgot about the Girl & Boy Scouts - those kids are awesome!

& the older Boy Scouts are required to do a community service project that involves organising others to work together.1 boy I know(16) said he & his troop worked together on digging a new drainage area for the parking lot @ the church where they meet.

• Lynn_Z9
    18 years ago

Irene - if there is a community college nearby that has a horticulture department, I bet the students would COMPETE to get to spend some time in your lovely garden. From the sounds of it, they could learn more there that in any classroom. Give the school a call - college kids are always broke and in need of a little cash.

• nebancsvirag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your great suggestions.
    If i could depend on being able to be outside any given time, that may work really well.
    As it is, it would be unfair for me to expect anyone unfamiliar with the gardens to do anything without direction.
    The landscape company is sending one of the owners back today, with a crew, to complete the work left unfinished or done in an unacceptable manner.
    We shall see....
    They did a lot of work removing the contractors odds and ends, weeded the entire garden, removed small plants passed their prime and trimmed the pittosporum and some of the podocarpus.
    Also repaired the irrigation lines, which has to be reworked today.
    For this i have paid almost 16,000.
    The monthly maintenance charge, which will be for cutting the grass, trimming all small bushes and all palms, there are lots, fertilizing everything, weeding and edging will be 375.00
    I really have little choice at this point, but to be grateful.
    My orchid garden is complete, the irrigation lines are to be fine tuned, and then care of the plants will be as automatic as i can make it.
    Sure hope everything will work out.
    You all have a great gardening day,
    Irene

• fuzzy
    18 years ago

Wow. Wish I lived near you, Irene! I'd be volunteering to be your gardener!!

• nebancsvirag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Fuzzy
    I KNOW you would be FABOLOUS...
    Wish i could have you as a neighbour.
    Would you like to move?
    Although with Walmart moving in so close, you probably wouldn't want to.
    Still, I wish,,,,,,
    Perhaps you could visit??
    Irene

• fuzzy
    18 years ago

Just saw this, Irene! Sorry about the delay in the reply.

I'd love to visit, but I'm afraid I'm at the end of my traveling days. After this month (whose weekends are booked), I'm not allowed to be more than an hour from the hospital in case I go into labor. (My mom had me, her first, six weeks early-- I think my doctor's being a little overcautious, but I'm under orders, so home I stay!)

Thanks for the invite, though! Wish we could be neighbors!

• nebancsvirag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dear Fuzzy
    At least you are confined in the old fashioned sense of the word.
    Which of course means, that you will have something precious at the end of your wait.
    When you and your treasure are up and about, and feel like a trip, do come and say hello.
    I am concentrating on the positive.
    Refuse to accept anyone's word for anything anymore.
    If in my heart i feel doubt, then the doctors will have a "tough patch to hoe" in convincing me of anything.
    The orchids are loving their new home, and have begun to grow like mad, and blooming so well, it warms my heart.
    Also put 2 great big shallow round bowls to good use, i planted salad seeds in them last week, and you should see how they are growing.
    Mother will be arriving on the 23rd for her winter visit, she will be so pleased to see that at least somethings are doing quite well.
    You hang in there, Listen to lots of Mozart.
    Let the baby listen as well. It has been well documented, that babies whose mothers listened to Mozart had a higher IQ, and were more well adjusted and turned out to be happy people all around.
    Anyway, it cant hurt.
    Irene

• carmiewest
    18 years ago

Irene,

I had never been to the Conversations page and I just saw your message. How are you doing? Hope you are doing fine. Where do you live? I am in Delray Beach. Let me know if you are in Southeast Florida. I would love to visit you and help you weed or something. I don't know much about gardening but I would gladly help with anything you would want me to do.

Let me know ok?

Carmen

• nebancsvirag
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning Carmen
    We are in heaven with this perfect weather at this time of the year.
    My "toned down" garden is doing well, I think.
    The landscape company accidentally cut down my huge papaya, loaded with fruit, "cleaned"up my banana, by cutting off some of the huge clusters of banana, cleaned up the persimmon, by removing the almost ready fruit, and the same goes for the figs, which were to be our treat for the following evening.
    But, they show up regularly, cut the lawn, do weed control. I just wish they would stop spraying my alstromeria bed, and have fewer accidents with the spray gun.
    Palms do not like their roots sprayed with weed killer.
    All in all, we make the best of everything.
    The new orchid house is working out well. I have to tweak it some, but the orchids seem happy, and are re-blooming readily.
    It is a pleasure to see them flourishing.
    The vegetable/herb garden is responding to Mothers touches, and she is happy to be here.
    I am so happy to have her for the winters, wish my father was still with us. they would have such a good time together.
    We are in Osprey, which is a way away from you, but if you are in this part of town, please stop in, well have a lovely cup of tea in the rose garden.
    Happy gardening to all,
    Irene