SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam_56

Norway spruce.... died in 3 months!

pam_56
16 years ago

We have 3 Norway spruces at the front of our property. Because the power lines run through them they were topped many years ago. Subsequently they have just have had the branches that are in the way removed. Even topped they are 50+ feet tall. While we were in FL the property on the other side of our driveway was clear cut. Because they owner owns a strip of land between us and the road they parked a lot of heavy equipment near our trees..and I hear they had gas cans sitting all over. But when we came home from FL in mid-May the trees were all green. But by the beginning of July the one closest to the driveway was getting brown and losing needles (from the top down). Now there is one low branch that has some green left...but is brittle. There is no damage to the trunk that I can see...nor any blight on the branches. But about 6 feet from the base of the tree is a circle about 10 ft. in diameter where nothing is growing. The soil does not have any petroleum smell...so I don't think there was a fuel spill. Do you know anything that could have killed this majestic tree so quickly? I have two more sitting next to it and I am afraid for them. I have called my extension but they only do soil testing for planting...Any ideas? Suggestions? What killed my tree?

Comments (2)