SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradarmi

BB Norway spruce dropping needles 3mo later

bradarmi
9 years ago

Hey All. One of my favorite forums, you guys (and gals) are the most informative and conifer obsessed people I know. Thanks for all the info over the years.

In April I planted a B&B Norway spruce from HD. It was "right off the truck" and had minimal torture in the parking lot of HD since I picked it up within an hour or two of being unloaded. (I verified with the stock guy). Anyway, it was about 4.5 feet tall and I thought it was container grown (I didn't realize it was B&B until I took it out of the container at home). It was planted in full sun before bud break and about 4 inches or so above soil level due to high clay content. No amendment except a handful of manure thrown in to the wheel barrow as I mixed the soil to backfill. The container was essentially sand so I pulled as much sand out without disturbing the root ball and added the leftover sand to the clay and manure mixture working it really well so I was mixed up and put everything back into the hole.

A few weeks ago bud break occurred ( seemed late to me) and now the new growth is droopy and loosing needles. I shook a few branches and the ground is littered with needles. Both new growth and old growth seem to be loosing needles. Any ideas? Do you think the tree is a total goner? I have planted lots of conifers this way on this property over the years and never saw anything so dramatic.

In other news, some of the conifers I thought were goners came back after this terrible winter. with much more needle damage...so not to worried, I just have this tree in a prominent spot.

thanks

Comments (5)