SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_williams27

Norway vs. Black Hills Spruce

Joe Williams
5 years ago

I'm looking for some more real world information on Black Hills spruce tree. I live in zone 5b, central Indiana area. I have one side of the property that I had planned on planting 3 Norway spruces. It is a large property, so there is plenty of room for 3 norways. However last fall and this spring I cannot find a local source for norways. A couple nurseries will special order 6-8' specimens, but I prefer 3-4' specimens. However they all are carrying Black Hills spruce, including the box stores. I understand the size differences and growth rates differences, but everything I read talks about Black Hills being not very adaptable to clayish soils and hot humid summers, which is typical of the midwest. The area I want to plant is a good distance from the house, so after the first 2 or 3 years I'm not interested in something I have to baby during a hot summer. Norways are growing everywhere in my area, so I'm curious as to why no one is selling them. Anyone in the midwest had success with Black Hills spruce?

Comments (14)