SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Indoor Sowing & Propagation Part 2

Crazy_Gardener
18 years ago

Gil, what species are you sowing? Some Columbines can be difficult to germinate, particularly indoors. I only wintersow Columbines from now on as I have had awesome results with throwing them outside. Same with perennial Alyssums ;)

HereÂs what Tom Clothier site recommends...

Aquilegia alpina , buergeriana, canadensis, flabellata, formosa, glandulosa, nevadensis, saximontana, transylvanica, viridiflora, and vulgaris, Sow at Max. 5ºC (41ºF), germination irregular, often several months

Aquilegia atrata , Sow at 18-22ºC (64-71ºF) for 2-4 wks, move to -4 to +4ºC (24-39ºF) for 4-6 wks, move to 5-12ºC (41-53ºF) for germination

Aquilegia bertolonii, caerulea, clematiflora, laramiensis, longissima, rockii, scopulorum, and siberica, Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), germination slow may take several months

Aquilegia chrysantha, , Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4ºC (24-39ºF) for 2-4 wks

Aquilegia olympica , Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4ºC (24-39ºF) indefinitely.

Sierra, what a great idea to start mini-roses this time of the year, I noticed our Extra-Foods still have lots of pots in stock, I guess left-over from Valentines Day.

Hmmm, your Discaria should be up by now???

Sharon

Comments (150)

• savona
    18 years ago

A friend sent me seeds she collected off her purple majesty millet..I sowed them on wednesday and the nest day they started to germinate..this picture is from this morning...savona
    {{gwi:732356}}

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

I don't expect anyone to remember this but last Sept. long weekend, we went to Saskatoon and I came back inquiring as to what kind of orn. grass were in the city's half barrels. I got the answer back from Sharon that it was Pennisetum setaceum Fountain Grass. The funniest thing happened today - OK, not that funny. Taking my son to school, I discovered I had a flat tire. I changed the tire and went digging thru my glove comp. for sales receipts/work orders, etc. on any tire purchases for said vehicle. When I pulled out the plastic envelope they were in, I noticed all of this fuzzy looking stuff in the envelope. Looked closer and here was all of the Fountain Grass seed I collected when we were in Saskatoon. Planted those up right quick, today. After I went and bought two new tires, of course. : ( There goes more of the garden budget!

Better check your car and your purse, all of you seed snatchers! Don't want to miss planting something your forgot about.

Shauna

• Related Discussions

Indoor Sowing & Propagation 2008

Q

Comments (78)
    Yesterday I was at home with my kids (5 and 3) and we tried to plant some seeds together. We planted some Rudbeckia Spotlight as well as 2 types of Marigolds. I am also going to try to wintersow some of these seeds at the end of April or beginning of May - so I won't be too unhappy if they don't grow that well. I was more the act of planting that was the fun for the day. I also started some dahlia roots, 8 yesterday and 2 other ones a couple weeks ago. The kids had a lot more fun planting the dahlia roots because they got to shovel a lot more dirt with their spoons! The first 2 roots I started at the beginning of March, and I pinched them off between 3 and 4 leaf pairs. I was reading about dahlia's on the net recently so I am going to try to pinch out the growing tips of the dinner plate dahlia's the way it is recommended for a more branched plant. The last time I planted them I didn't pinch any of them, and I planted them a bit late so they barely flowered before the frost got to them. I have high hopes for this year if they all start well and transplant well. Janet
    ...See More

winter sowing in the far north part ii

Q

Comments (106)
    It's a lousy day weather-wise today so I did the last of my winter/spring sowing: Baby Snapdragon (Toadflax)'Northern Lights' Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Ace of Spades' Poppy, White Double Poppy, Ruffle Mixed Zinnia hybrid 'Magellan Mix' Zinnia 'Dreamland Rose' Tahoka Daisy (Machaeranthera tanacetif) Blue Pimpernell (Anagallis monelii) Candytuft, mix (Iberis umbellata) Cosmos 'Ladybird Mix' Convolvulus 'Rainbow Flash' Crimson Clover (Trifolium incarnatum) Flax, Scarlet (Linum grandiflorum rubrum) Sunflower, dwarf 'Yellow Spray' Four O'Clock, yellow Thunbergia 'Salmon Shades' Nasturtium, Tall Trailing Balsam Shoofly Plant, blue (Apple of Peru) Cosmos 'Bright Lights' I see that the container count deadline is 8:00 am eastern tomorrow. I read a thread where Ron said that if you are going to be sowing after the deadline: "Just figure out how many you will be sowing and add them to the count before May 1st". Susan
    ...See More

Indoor Sowing, Winter Sowing & Propagation 2009

Q

Comments (135)
    Hi! My name is Karen and I've posted some questions on the geranium forum and got some good advice, but noone is terribly chatty over there so I was wondering if this is a good forum for me to join. Are you taking new members?? I'm in IL and we started over 700 (agh!)pelargoniums, or whatever they are called. We call them geraniums. Anyway, I was told to pinch and went to town and I hope I did it right because I have some sad plants. And it's about time to start hardening off...and I haven't a clue what I'm doing! We have two portable greenhouses outside with heaters in them and we put the impatiens and pansies, I think, in there. But the geraniums are inside under grow lights and in sunny windows (as sunny as it gets during the long awaited IL 'Spring' if that's what you call it!) Can anyone help me keep them alive?
    ...See More

Winter Sowing vs. Indoors Sowing

Q

Comments (7)
    The other advantage to wintersowing, besides being less expensive than buying (what pathetic selection they have available) at the nursery, and also having the space to coddle seedlings all over inside--messing with supplemental lighting, etc., and that your plants will be hardier and already hardened off, is this: your plants will also be hardier through the hotter months, and more resistant to the cold at the end of season. My wintersown tomatillo survived a pretty hearty frost last year, but the indoor-start one (yes, same seed/variety) didn't make it. However, one of the drawbacks is that, for some plants, there won't be enough head start to get big enough to get some harvest. For example, if you have longer-to-ripen tomatoes, they might not be ready to go before the first frost. Also, peppers will have a later start, etc., and something that didn't occur to me until a few days ago, is that my "120-day" okra (it's not really that long to harvest since it's a continual thing) will be so far behind the 8-ball that it might be August before we get our first okra, whereas if I have indoor or nursery starts, they are usually flowering in June. This might be particularly true if your actual growing season is shorter, like Bonnie's. The other thing to remember is that not all things are suitable for true wintersowing--basil and some herbs are a little too intolerant of the cold that if they sprouted then there was a freeze, they might not make it. However, if you're starting now, I think you're good to go on just about anything from the cold-intolerant timetable. That being said, I always start some stuff inside, and try to put it outside for as much natural sun during the day as possible, then bring it in at night until the nights are warmer. I do "backup" starts for the tomatoes that I can't live without (so then, will someone please explain to me how I have over 40 starts? Oh yeah... the SWAP!), and ALL my peppers and herbs--and certainly, the cherished okra. Also, I stupidly started some cipollini onions WAY too late (but I bought the seeds, and they'll be no good next year) inside, so we'll see if those guys turn out. Of course, Trudi D will tell you that she started wintersowing as a great experiment because she was going cabin-crazy in the deep of winter and just wanted to make some mud pies in January... (My husband now wonders, since we move our tomato containers into the garage and harvest until February, if he will ever see his wife's fingernails without any dirt under them... I'm goin' with NO)
    ...See More
  • northspruce
    18 years ago

So further to my complaint about the Seed Centre, I phoned them today and the fellow was very nice and apologetic, and apparently their spam filter sometimes blocks good e-mails and also lost my order. So I faxed it and he swears up & down it will be shipped Monday. That would make me happy! It's a bit of a hassle but the place was SO cheap, free shipping and good selection.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Hopefully they do come through for you Gil.

My boys have Venidium sprouts this morning.......thank goodness!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Things have really started to take off here.......and seeds that are being sown seem to be popping up in two day...eeekkksss.....slow down will ya.

Whats with the Delph seeds I got this year....I have sowed them twice and still not a single sprout....the ones in the pic in the gallery I started from seed with no problems. Hmmmm

DH and I filled 14 blooming bags this weekend...when we were done I found one more. LOL. Now they have to hang for a couple days to settle, I guess, before I can start planting them up....I'll probably start planting them tomorrow.

Gil.....I have to tell ya....I found phlox seed twinkle mix on the weekend.....and yes I got them and started them this weekend too. See you paid me back. LOL! One more try...now how does the phlox dance go?

Sierra :-))

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sierra, I think I have a couple of blooming bags in the shed somewhere, I really need to dig them out this spring. Thanks for the reminder ;)

Today, I indoor sowed Verbena bonariensis, will be WS'ing some too ;)

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

The little grandguy's bachelor buttons have sprouted already, and i'm going to bring them to school for him tomorrow for his show and tell. :) The gazanias i planted the other day have sprouted too, but i have no room under my lights right now. Dh was making some more brackets for the new lights i bought but he hasn't finished yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

I'm really disappointed in the pansies i sowed awhile back. Very few have germinated. They were in the dark for about a week, but when the sprouts started, i uncovered them. But the ones that had sprouted are the only ones. >:(

Re: bloom bags. How do you water them? I tried putting a piece of hose in mine (we put nail holes in it first), but it hasn't worked too well. Someone else said they dunk theirs in their pond. Last year, i lay mine in a seeding tray and watered that way, but i'd like to hear some better ideas! I only have one, and last year i got the bright idea to root impatiens cuttings in it, and it worked. So i'm going to invest in a few more of them this year to hang along the back of the house.

• savona
    18 years ago

Finally with the turn around in our weather I got the woodstove going in the greenhouse..what a relief to get some flats out there to make room under the lights to start more seeds and to transplant some of the others.
    Marcia I saved seeds from my own pansies last fall but some of the seeds looked light in colour and I didnt trust them to be fertile..I figured to give them a week and if they didnt start germinating I would buy seeds...I was at a nursery and bought some seeds anyway..but needless as mine did come up nicely, I transplanted 6 dozen and gave a couple dozen to my neighbor to finish up in her greenhouse..I do the same thing..as soon as a couple germinate I take the cover off them and give them some light..hope they are just pokey and will still come up for you...savona

18 years ago

These were sown almost a month ago, so i guess there's not much hope. I guess this weekend, i'll consolidate what has come up into a couple of four-packs so i'll have more room for other things. Time for tomatoes and peppers soon!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Marcia,

To water the blooming bags.....I use a water wand and just tuck it into the back of the bag and then turn on either soaker mode or shower mode lightly till the water starts running out the bottom of the bags. They are a bit of a pain that way, if you arn't careful and forget to turn the water off...it can ruin the plants in the top of the bag. I water the pots the same way...tuck the wand in under the plants and then turn it on gently....it can take quite a while to water this way. While I am standing there, I dead head and have a nice close look at the flowers...so it all works out well .........

Hmmmmm last time I looked at the bowl of pansy seedlings...I was thinking they needed to be transplanted...uhhhhhh that was ummmmm last week, I think...guess I had better find them and get that done. LOL.

Sierra

18 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Sierra, but i'll need another one! We water with water pumped from the beaver pond into a 250-gal. tank, and then pumped out to the gardens by hoses. One's on a sprinkler and the other's on me! I get to drag the hose around to all the flower gardens, so no wands or anything fancy. Maybe soaking them in a tray is my best bet.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Marcia....if the water pressure isn't strong enough to use a wand.......then the flow should be just right, to tuck into the back of the bags....just a soft gentle flow so it doesn't up-root the roots or wreck the flowers. You could always just use a watering can...then you have complete control of the flow.

I drag the 100ft or is it longer? hmmm heavey rubber hose around to water the planters too.....its good for keepin me in shape in the summer. LOL!

and you know this is commin' haha.......You could always just do the rain dance.....then you don't have to worry about watering anything. hee hee

Sierra

18 years ago

Heh heh - i should dance up a "storm" right now and maybe melt some of the snow! LOL

Marcia,
    off to shelve some more books, with a little twist in her step :)

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Gasp! Marcia you aren't on GW at work are you?? LOL me too.

My Seeds arrived in the mail today! Hooray! Of to plant lobelia, delphiniums, nicotines and phlox. Some will get WSed, we'll see.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

HaHa..I post from work too, but shhhhhhhh.

Gil...I dunno about sowing seeds at work though. LOL! Uhhhh the phlox I sowed and put in the dark.....there seems to be only one seedling.....you didn't tell me the steps to that dance.....see I told you I can't grow phlox. That one seedling is probably a weed seed....:-(

Sierra

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Ok ok it's my day off today. But I do check in from work too. :0) Especially in the winter when it's boring.

Today I planted phlox, delphiniums, coleus and lobelia. I dunno about phlox in the dark Sierra, my seed pack doesn't say anything about dark. I just sowed mine shallow and put them under the lights. The only dance I have ever done to get phlox in the past is the "boogie down to the greenhouse and pick up some flats" dance. LOL.

I was going to mention, aren't salvia seedlings beautiful? Sigh... I sowed exactly 65 seeds and exactly 58 came up. Now that is a pretty good germination rate!! Compared to about 300:5 for Alyssum saxatile. The 5 are coming along splendidly though.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Hmmmm . . . I can't grow phlox very well, either. I had exactly one plant last year and that was w/s. I decided to try again and I also have put mine in the dark this year to germinate. So far, no germination but I think there might be some really intricate moves to the "germinating phlox" dance. But, many of the information sources that I have say that phlox germinates better in the dark. I covered mine with paper. I guess it's a wait and see?

Shauna

18 years ago

I've never tried growing phlox from seed but i winter-sowed some this year, just seed that i had saved from one plant. I was looking in the container the other day, and the seeds are on the surface and some of the hulls have broken apart. I wonder if i should have covered the seeds all the way, then, if they germinate better in the dark. I guess i can still remedy that. What do you guys think?

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Marcia, can you put that one container into a dark plastic garbage bag? I just looked at the Stokes catalogue, for example, and it says to put the flat in total darkness. It's certainly worth a try. I think that's why my germination was so bad last year.

I may be wrong, Gil, but it's just what I've been reading. It's one I checked specifically on because my germ. was sooooo bad last year.

Shauna

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Oh I'm not saying you & Sierra are wrong Shauna, just that my seed packet didn't mention dark so I didn't know. I will give the darkness a shot. How long? Until they sprout? Or what? I'm guessing they want to be warm-ish too?? Please advise!

18 years ago

I was just thinking that i could stick them in the barbecue because no one uses it. Hah - that would be about the time someone would decide to barbecue wieners or something. Barbecued phlox! Okay, i guess i'll do something else - maybe stick a large pot over top of the container or something like that.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whew, IÂm exhausted and my back is killing me from bending over transplanting several kinds of seedlings into 4" squares and jumbo 6 packs. My racks are now filled, its time to start the alternating method every 12 hours tomorrow.

According to my journal last year I took many flats out to the greenhouse on April 15th, thatÂs when IÂll start the tomatoes and the rest of the tender annuals since IÂll have more room downstairs by then.

Sharon

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Hey Sierra, you sowed your phlox about a week ago right? When your one seedling appeared did you bring it all into the light? Would that stop any more from sprouting? I have mine in a garbage bag now but I might also bring them upstairs where it's warmer.

And the dance, isn't there a backwards rotation of the left arm? Were you doing that? And the twist in the step?

Just wondering, has anyone here successfully sowed phlox drummondii? And if so how?

-Gillian (who is afraid of being phlox-less!)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Sharon......I have been doing the 12 hour alternating for a little over a week now. LOL! Who ever says gardening isn't excersize needs to try actually doing this every spring and summer. ;-)

Gil.......Yes I sowed the phlox last weekend. No I didn't take the lid off, nor did I put it under lights, when the first seedling appeared. I was suspicious this one seedling wasn't a phlox.....I did spray the seedling with chamomile tea every second day though so it didn't dampen off. Yesterday I took the lid off and placed beside the lights not under the light. Might put it back in the dark today. LOL!

I have tried several dances ...with no luck. :-( I only sowed half the seeds.....so if someone comes up with steps that I haven't tried...I'll sow the rest. I'm about to try the forward seed catapult into the garbage can. LOL!

All of the blooming bags are planted, except for the last one...which is only half planted. LOL....I ran out of good sized seedlings for it.....so will have to wait a week or two for some of the smaller seedlings to catch up. I ended up with two trays of small impatiens that have to grow a bit more.....then I can finish the last bag. I also will use these seedlings to plant the tops of the bags once the bags can be hung.

Transplanting, transplanting......Oh DH my b'day is comming up....and I really need that greenhouse. LOL!

Sierra

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

I often refer to the Vesey's planting guide when I'm unsure of germination requirements of annuals. Veseys says for annual Phlox to cover lightly, provide darkness and a cool soil temp of 60-65F. Sounds like a good candidate for placing on a basement floor.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Thanks Pudge, I also found a guide this morning that said 55-65F so I will put them back in the basement. Now I'm worried that the garbage bag isn't blocking out all the light... well I have half the pack of seeds left if I screw it up.

• savona
    18 years ago

I have annual beauty mix phlox and candy cane phlox germinating now..I have done phlox several years now. I dont do anything special..just press the seeds into the soillesss mix and cover with plastic and then under the lights..where it is usually fairly warm..I sowed these march 21st and could see the roots pushing into the soil and starting to lift the seeds on the 24th..I believe Thompson morgan says to not exclude light as this might be helpful with germination..it can be so confusing on what is the right way to start some seeds
    {{gwi:732359}}
    I am very pleased on how fast the Torenia are coming along after reading they are slow to grow..I couldnt bring myself to pinch back a couple of the plants as I could see some buds on them and wanted to see what they looked like when they bloom..I sowed these Feb 1
    {{gwi:732363}}
    I'm having so much fun 8-)...savona

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Well as of today I have one phlox sprout!! Yaaah! I covered them with a garbage bag and put them back in the basement where it is currently 17*C.

Also today I indoor sowed my sempervivums mix, jovibarba mix, geum triflorum, and creeping thyme.

I'm having fun toooooo!

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Aaaah! I checked my phlox again and it's about 1/3 sprouted - I can see the little roots all heading for the soil. Thanks so much for your advice Shauna & Sierra & Pudge. What on earth would I do without this forum, I ask myself regularly.

In case anyone cares, they were sowed on the surface of wet soilless mix and kept under lights for one day. Then I put the dome on and covered with a garbage bag and kept them at 20C for one day, then returned to 17C for one day and they sprouted within one or two days of that. The compost was very wet and the humidity was high.

Savona, I'm glad your phlox is sprouting for you too. I wonder why the range of acceptable conditions, yet the reputation of being hard to germinate. Oh well.

Oh and yesterday I also sowed Saponaria ocymoides (Soapwort). Marcia I will have it cascading over a wall yet - LOL!

• vrie
    18 years ago

Hi all! I decided to join in the conversation. What I do is a combination I guess of indoor and winter. I have an unheated sunroom that faces south. I have cups and pots and bowls and all sorts of stuff starting out there. I use a combo of cheap soil and jiffy start mix, depending on what's handy. The sunroom does have heat lamps in it (not grow but oh well) if the night will be too cold. (As an aside I had tomatoes at Thanksgiving from there last year!)

Anyway, after the other half finally built shelves, this is my beginning-

Liatris,
    coleus,
    brocolli,
    brandywine and yellow pear tomatoes,
    a couple zuch just for S&G,
    foxglove,
    snaps (the first set I didn't freeze, but the room did so...they're sprouting anyway)
    some shade mix with viola, impatiens, forget-me-not, torenia, mimulus,and colensia;
    some generic salsa peppers mix (if I can get them to grow why not- plants are expensive!)
    and a blue columbine

The wood shelves are about 6 ft each long, the side board is about the same-- now where can i put that TV?
    and to go: Oh I better not even start that line of thought-- I have 3x5 files full of seeds--

{{gwi:732367}}

{{gwi:732369}}

• hunnerbun
    18 years ago

UGH...I am sooooo far behind this year...stoopid snowmobile and house renos...
    Oh well, I still have plenty of cold weather before they can get planted out so I'll start this weekend!

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Sure you have time Hunner, lots of time and you won't have an overgrown jungle like some of my plants!

Vrie what a great sunroom! You're so lucky to have all those south windows - my house only has 3 and one has the kitchen sink under it.

• north53 Z2b MB
    18 years ago

Just wondering if I'm flirting with disaster. I was having trouble keeping my very tiny seedlings watered so when I had to be away for few days I set them on a watering mat. Now I've returned and I'm enjoying the fact that I don't have to water several times a day. They are staying damp. What do you think? Good practise or bad?

• northspruce
    18 years ago

North43 ff it's not broke don't fix it. I would just check regularly that they are doing their job.

Yesterday I indoor sowed:
    Verbascum nigrum
    Dianthus superbus "Snowdonia White" (Thanks Sharon for both!)

And my Jovibarbus is up already - 2 days, wow!

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Sorry North53 you lost 10 somewhere ;0)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

9 weeks till "planting out" time! Whoo-hoo!

I've done some tomatoes. Package said "6-8 weeks" but I'm sure one extra week won't hurt!

• hunnerbun
    18 years ago

LOL...if hubby came home right now he'd totally have me committed!
    I am giving my starter pots a "bath"! I have the tub filled with a bleach solution and I am soaking the pots to clean them. I have to go to work in 15 mins so I'll just leave them n there until I get home. Good thing I'll be home before him or he'd lose it!
    Can't wait to get started for real...I just did some of those wave petunia kits and am soaking some pellets for one more...I had a bonus when I opened up the red pack...there were 2 of the little seed mats in there so I'll have lots of red waves...or more to fry whatever the case may be!

18 years ago

I spent half of the morning and half the afternoon transplanting impatiens, coleus and the little grandguy's bachelor buttons. This time of year when i'm surrounded by seedlings, i often wonder where my mind is.... LOL In the garden, of course!

• alalbertaz2b
    18 years ago

Hi all

I thought that I would post a couple of pics and let you know how things are going with my planting. These are pictures of my planting room in my basement and so far everything is going good.

{{gwi:732371}}

{{gwi:732373}}

Today I will probably spent most of the day in there transplanting and starting more seeds.

Will be starting today:
    Hybrid Marigold --Golden Jubilee
    Tomato-- Sweet Gold TMVF pvp
    Tomato-- Lemon Boy
    Pennisetum-- Purple Majesty
    Nemesia-- Carnival Mixed
    Schizanthus-- Hit Parade

No woodworking today:( !!!!

Cheers Al

18 years ago

A whole room! Wow! Do you have lights over where your big potted plants are?

Now, let's see... If i could get rid of the freezer and some more of the junk in the laundry room..... :>

• vrie
    18 years ago

oh wow! I have enough trouble getting to use my sunroom for plants! My old man would have me committed (or buried IN the garden!) I don't think he would agree to convert that room to a starter area when he really wants it for a cvomputer workroom LOL!

18 years ago

That's the thing,Vrie - a MAN converted that room! I'm counting my blessings that i might get a greenhouse, but i wouldn't hold my breath on a whole room for seed-starting!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

WOW Al, that room is awesome and I must agree with Vrie and Marcia ~ LOL ~ Pretty cool that a MAN converted that room! Right on!

I just finished adding another table infront of the Living Room window and did some:

Tomatoes - subarctic 'Plenty'

Basil - I think its Italian sweet basil ??

Marigolds - 'Canadian Sunset'

Ameranthus 'Velvet Curtains'

Coleus 'Rainbow Mix'

Xeranthemum

~Ang~

• alalbertaz2b
    18 years ago

My wife thinks that it is a good idea to have a separate room for starting seed as this keeps the mess in one area. The room is also used for storage and is very small (about 5x10). I also plugged the heat vent so that it keeps cool and the plants do not get leggy.

Marcia - I do not have a light over the larger pots as these are my cannas and are just coming up now. They will go to my greenhouse in a couple of weeks so I do not worry about having any light over them because when they get into my greenhouse they really start to grow.

Cheers Al

• vrie
    18 years ago

Oh man for that room-- I'm already out of shelf space!

He did agree to build double shelves in the sunroom so I can use bottom to store instead of other shelf space.

Anyway, I have seeded more--

larkspur
    lupine
    delph i collected last fall
    more snaps
    blue flax

Let's see from the original I have almost all my yellow pear tomatoes up this week and that gives me hope for the peppers and brandywine. Also I have foxglove and snaps up and the one single dumb early girl seed my mother left here. Just today I found some of my shade mixture up (probly foxglove too but oh well.)

I also sent a set of 1-4 ft plant seeds all mixed up nicely for my aunt's meadow to her. In return she sent me seeds for old hollyhock and something she doesn't know it's name (but it was pretty in a bouquet I saw last summer!)

It's been so nice outside! I have been weeding already (why do the dandelions come up so FAST?), prepping the garden for the cold season veggies, moving rocks, marking bulbs that need moved this fall, and prepping a spot for those no-name roses someone is sending me (that should be hardy - they're zone 4- where I plan them to be!) and for that plum tree I need to go get!

Oh, I've also preapproved my boulevard flower beds with the city, found out they own the tree I want to kill
    (darn it!- it doesnt bear fruit and it shades that native flower bed I'm making) I also found that I don't want a fence as they make me come in 22 FEET! I started pruning other stuff too!

Let's see Sat was spent away from home-- the HOME AND GARDEN SHOW!!! Of course a few more wall-o-waters and some seeds later, I had spent well over 3 hours there- in the middle of the day- oh well it was raining! I'm so proud of myself- I didn't buy a single bulb or lily (I already have a combo of about 300 of those!)

Oh my! maybe this should be in projects LOL Anyone got a spot for shelves?

• kristal
    18 years ago

What the heck!?! My Black-Eyed Susan vines are reaching 10" tall!! I followed package directions, but I think it was too early to plant them. I've transplanted them into styrofoam cups, but now I'm wondering if they should go into the hanging baskets I intend to plant them in before they tangle themselves up.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

I did the same thing last year with Black-eyed Susans. I just about lost them all when I untangled the big mess. I ended up buying some from the garden centre because they looked so much fuller and compact compared to mine. Lo and behold, they had been pinching them back, and they kept producing side shoots. I haven't planted mine yet for this year, but I was going to pinch, pinch, pinch.

I've been pinching back my Mina Lobata and Cobaea for about a month now and they both have really bushed out. I'm planning on putting them into 18" pots really quick now and giving them tomato cages to climb. I've got so many tomato cages and I plan on adding them and wiring them together to make a tower, as the season progresses They will probably just take off when I give them that privilege.

Shauna

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

More sprouts!

Marigolds "Canadian Sunset"
    Xeranthemum
    Basil

gotta love it!

My Cobaea is getting long and hanging down! So far it's not touching anything yet so it's not getting tangled up yet. I keep thinking that I should pinch it back but being tall and skinny should be OK for where I plan to put it between some Morning Glories and a Hyacinth Bean Vine. We'll see how they do together!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Well......I now have 4 phlox sprouts...well if they are all phlox. hee hee and not weeds. I transplanted the one that sprouted...the first time I planted, into a cell pack......then I dumped the rest of the package into the bowl. Again...one popped up...but I ignored it.....today I noticed two more.

I also finally have one sprout of butterfly flower....geez this took forever. Still hoping for a couple more.

Been transplanting into cells and 4 inch pots...all sorts of things..

A couple calla lilies have poked up above the soil and I now have two castor beans showing. All 5 of the new cannas are growing.

Still have to start a few things this weekend or next week. And set up the glads and freesias when I find time. LOL!

Happy Gardening,

Sierra...will my hands and nails ever be clean again? :O

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Sierra, would it help if I posted a pic of my phlox sprouts so you might know if yours are weeds? Mine eventually ended up having very good germination. In no way do I wish to rub it in... ;0)

So far my poor germinators are coleus, delphiniums (this might be bad seed, had no trouble with them before), and alyssum. I had a couple of bags of Miracle Gro soilless seed mix that looked like pure sawdust and contained weeds. There is now a drought of soilless mix in this end of the city, there is just none anywhere. I've been having to use potting mix. Ok so far.

My cypress vines have been doing something weird, namely dying. :0( The vines grow to about 6" or less, then all the leaves go white and the vine fails and dies. Any ideas??? They are receiving good light and water.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH