SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Indoor Sowing & Propagation 2008

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

It's that time of year again, SOOOOW, whatcha got going so far indoors?

Today I noticed some Iris sibirica Caesar's Brother OP babies just popping up today, they are so cute, first time for trying Sibs from seed.

I have these in the fridge having a cold treatment...

Lilium dalhansoni OP

Lilium martagon

Lilium martagon mix

Lilium martagon var. album

Lilium martagon x columbianum

Lilium sargentiae

Lilium tsingtauense

Gentian lutea

Arisaema triphyllum Jack in the Pulpit

Germinated a week ago or so, first time sower for lily seeds too, I'm curious what they will look like now!

Miss Alice x Oliva (Tango hyb.)

Pink Pagoda OP

Sterling Star x Electric OP

Stroynaya x Lemon Queen

L. dauricum (still waiting)

Most of the Daylilies that were sowed last month are up, still waiting for a few laggers to germinate yet! And of course I couldn't resist, I have more DL seeds that I won coming in to sow yet.

Chateau Lafite x Smoke Scream (10)

Intelligent Design x Northern Fancy (10)

Inky Fingers x Red Sally (6)

Prague Spring x Heavenly Angel Ice (10)

and yesterday I sowed these...

Petunia Shockwave Pink Vein (11seeds)

Petunia Tidal Wave Cherry (11seeds)

(will take cuttings of the Petunias once they start going)

Cyperus eragrostis Wind Dancer' Love Grass (6seeds)

Pennisetum setaceum Fountain

Happy sowing everyone!

Sharon

Comments (78)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I officially started sowing indoor seeds yesterday. My warming mat bed is full. I started the usual-petunias,lobelia,verbena and diathus.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Spring is in the air Shelley, feels good eh!

I sowed 2 daylily gift seeds today as well.
    Victorian Lace x Green Mystique (8)
    Untamed Splendor x Larry Miller (4)

Hope these will do well here since they're evergreen types ;)

Sharon

• Related Discussions

Is it too early to start indoor flower sowing?

Q

Comments (22)
    Welcome, Natalie. We really are a friendly group, don't let our goofballs scare you away. MMQC is our problem child here- endless funny comments but newcomers may not 'get' her jokes. I'd bet she spent her childhood in the principal's office. Wndy2shoes has been spending too much time around MMQC. I, too, wintersow my seeds outdoors, not inside as I was a miserable failure at that. But I do know that indoor sowing generally involves fluorescent lights about 14-16 hours a day and incandescent light isn't useful to plants. For more detailed information, the forums Seedmama mentioned will probably be your better source. Do consider a few containers outside by the wintersowing method. You might be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is as well as economical and successful. Karen Here is a link that might be useful: FAQs
    ...See More

How To Winter Sow Seeds Outdoors

Q

Comments (9)
    Good suggestions. I don't cut my milk jug all the way around, leave a little hinge just under the handle. Then when I open them up, I peg them to the ground. If it gets cold again, it's easier to tape it shut again for late frosts and you probably don't have to tape it as thoroughly as initially. I save my containers and use them again, and the right kinds of tops are with the right jugs. What I'm wrestling with is that I decided I want to sow a lot of seeds in oversized cell packs. I have the trays that match but no holes in them. Anyway, I don't want to preset anything to hold plastic up and over them now, and the ground will be frozen when I set my jugs out in about Feb to poke anything down in. I've been looking around and the only thing I have to keep the plastic a couple inches off (or just an inch might be ok) the surface of the cell packs to keep from crushing the new growth would be some bricks, some old glass blocks. Can anybody think of what might work better that is easy/free/cheap? I think saran wrap would be too thin for those and have some clear plastic in a roll that is probably too heavy, maybe w/slits in it heavy would be ok. I can get something in between. The reason I want to sow in cell packs is for some of my seeds that resent transplanting to have a better chance and save me work later. I sometimes start in those trays you talked about w/covers (from McD's salads, KFC etc.) They work great. Sometimes I plant directly into the ground but some I like to transplant individually into cell packs so they can grow on, very tedious. Sowing directly into cell packs would save me that step. One trick I learned for spring sowing but should work equally well for winter sowing is to plant in the deli containers, then fill 16 oz plactic cups w/drainage holes punched in the bottom partway up with potting soil. Then use a spatula & dull knife and work a chunk of seedlings out of the tray and just set it on top of the soil, the roots will find it easy to work on down. Then I let grow on for awhile and plant with a bulb planter. That would work well for people whose gardens are crowded or whatever. I have to make things as easy on myself as possible or it won't all get done.
    ...See More

Propagating Dahlias - Fall 2008

Q

Comments (17)
    Linht, Thanks!! According to an online hydroponics site, the growing area for a 4Â 4-tube New Wave T5 HO fixture is 4Â x 2.5Â. ThatÂs almost exactly my growing space in each cabinet. The growing area for the 8-tube unit is 4Â x 4Â, more than I need. I would like to assume that I should be able to achieve 3600fc at 11" with the 4-tube unit in my space. I compared the price of single unit fixtures ($49) with reflectors ($30) to multiple tube units (4-tube=$395), and funny enough, thereÂs a considerable difference. I can save ~$80 per cabinet and all I have to do is cut a couple of 2"x4" to attach the 4 fixtures and hangers to. I am going to get 4 German aluminum reflectors as an experiment. I will see if thereÂs a difference with them, and if so, how much. I am now planning on making a canopy with the fixtures attached. The canopy will be a piece of board covered with 2mm reflective Mylar film. My thinking is that this should be almost as effective as aluminum reflectors, and considerably cheaper. IÂll use 2mm Mylar reflective film (~$1.06/foot) on all sides as well. That should make the entire cabinet reflective under the lights. As I already have 6 double T5 HO fixtures, this will do for 3 cabinets. For the other 3 cabinets IÂll get single T5 HO fixtures so I can more evenly space them across the space. The additional lights certainly add to the cost per cabinet, but not having to use board on all sides has reduced the cost at the same time. With 4 T5 single-tube fixtures, without reflectors, the cost before tax is now ~$335/cabinet. With reflectors the cost is ~$455. Using my current price for electricity ($0.114/kwh) each cabinet will cost ~$0.35/day to run. So now I have to get the materials to make the next set of light tests. Viking, FWIW, the Mylar is more expensive than tin foil but it does have distinct advantages. Firstly, it doesnÂt ripple the way tin foil does, and is less likely to tear. This should mean it will yield a more even surface to reflect light, and be easier to work with. Also, you can get it in 4Â wide rolls. It claims it has 98% reflectivity, which is higher than even panda plastic. Cheers, Russ
    ...See More

Thoughts From The Belly - December 2008

Q

Comments (1)
    I also leave some of the flowers for the birds. But also have 4 feeders. heck last year the snow drifted so bad all bed under the snow. Very rough here with the flooding Not Like in iowa City and CedarRapids. Dh and I helped clean up in Time Check area House. Need to a plant party for them. Some of these house had breath taking flower beds. I'm going to major flower dividing and offer plants to some of them Now to go put out some suet in feeder. Going to make my own. Lot of the pheasants babies drown here from flooding.
    ...See More
  • sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I have to say that it definitely feels nice to know that spring is around the corner.

Shelley.... who is dreaming of warmer days

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Look at all you guys go! WOW!

I've actually finally given seed starting some thought as of about 1/2 hour ago since I am home with a sick kid today. Gotta love those unexpected days off and not have to be running around here there and everywhere!

I just took a look at my geraniums that I've been overwintering and cut them back and put them in my southfacing livingroom window.

I'm planning an afternoon of looking through my seeds and planting up some impatiens at least.

Ang

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hey Ang, Yup time to get some things going.

Today I have to transplant a few things into pots. I have snaps and salvias up. This week I am starting to sow a few more things, I was going to wait till march first, but I have a lot to sow on that date, and probably won't get it all done, so thought I would start a few a bit earlier.

The begonias have come in at the local nursery. The tubers are huge this year. The regular ones were bigger tubers than the ones labeled giant tubers. Kind of funny the giant ones were 9.99 and the regular ones were 2.99.
    I was going to be good and not get any hahahahahaha, but well that only lasted till I saw them. I ended up buying 6 new tubers. I know my bad!!! Is there bulb buyers anonymous somewhere? And now I have Savona chomping at the bit :O....to get to the nursery to get some of these. I promise I didn't buy them all. haha The ones I bought have all been potted up..and all have started but one. And I think that one has just started to show signs of starting.

Sierra

• greenlove
    16 years ago

I had it in my head I wasn't going to start anything from seed this year. Told myself that a couple of flats of pansies or petunias wouldn't set me back too much. Then we went for a Japanese dinner and ate soybeans so that got me looking in the seed catalogue and well, you know how it goes. So mostly I've got vegetable seeds, Iris Moss and my petunias and pansies. Not sure how I ended up ordering the roots of a Ninebark Coppertina and a Pinky Winky Hydrangea, but oh well.
    Kate

• kashacres
    16 years ago

WOW! That is a lot of sowing. I am a bit scared this year as we have a plant infestation - small bugs like a fruit fly. Keeps coming back. I dug up and brought my hot chili plants in the Fall. By November I had the grren aphids. I thought I got rid of them, but there is stuff flying around. If I were to start my seeds, will these bugs attack. What can I do. I hate to throw out the pepper plants. Any solution....

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If they are like fruit flies, they are probably fungus gnats, they like to hide in the soil and the larvae feed on plant roots and dead matter in the soil.

Water your plants only when needed, drain well and let them dry out somewhat before watering again. Safer's Sticky Stik traps work great, prevents adult stages of insect from reproducing and infesting other plants

This morning, I managed to transplant my Petunias and Ornamental grass into larger containers and will be sowing some Daturas this evening.

Hurry up Spring!
    Sharon

• kashacres
    16 years ago

Thank you Sharon. I will purchase the sticky tapes. Is it too late to start petunias (my first attempt). Any special tricks needed for flowers. I have only grown vegetables in my short stint as a gardner. Thanks - Northern Ontario

• prairierose
    16 years ago

I'm starting my petunias, statice, and snapdragons this week. I have started them a couple of weeks later and they've done okay, but take longer to really get going. I got a little heater for my greenhouse this year, so I'm hoping to move plants out from under the lights and into the greenhouse in early April. They did so well out there last year - nice sturdy plants - that I'd like to get them out a little quicker.
    Connie

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Depending on what Petunia cultivar, it takes 10-16 weeks to flower, right now is a good time to start them.

Stokes is a great place to order seed, as well they have a great website for detailed growing instructions on most kinds of seeds.

I also started some Coleus and Gazanias today too.

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

I too have done tons of indoor sowing this year. I've started a number of petunias, mostly wave types. I got great seeds this year from Swallowtail Garden Seeds in the US. I found with the US dollar at par and with shipping of $ 3.95, it was very reasonable.

I also ordered quite a few annuals and tender perennials from a company called Summer Hill Seeds. They had a great selection of unusual annual/tropical vines and very good germination results.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I planted some Venidium and Osteospermum on Tuesday, and they're up already. Only thing is, i can't find any seed-starting mix, so i mixed peat moss and vermiculite with some potting mix, and now the top of the soil has mold growing on it in some spots. >:(

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Use Cinnamon Marcia. It'll stop the mold from forming. Plus your house will smell like you have been baking.

Shelley

16 years ago

Cinnamon for mold! I knew that! LOL What is it for fungus gnats, then? I sprinkled cinnamon on a flat that had some gnats. Haven't noticed any more gnats and no mold! LOL Thanks, Shelley.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marcia do you not do this every year ;) Buy some good starting mix! LOL

Marilena, does Swallowtail Garden Seeds send their pelleted seed in plastic vials or just as is in packets? I hate it when the pellets get crushed from shipping. I might try them next year.

Sharon

16 years ago

Sharon, i can't get any mix this year. For some reason, neither Canadian Tire or Walmart has any. Last year they ran out when i needed more and i used the Co-op brand. That was the stuff that molded last year. Even if i can't get any other mix i'm not buying that this year. I've gotten some peat pellets now - better than nothing.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marcia, check out your local nurseries or out of town. I have to drive an hour to Lloyd to get bales of Sunshine #4 or Promix in Saskatoon. I make sure I stock up, it's worth the drive.

16 years ago

The nurseries here aren't open yet. Anywhere out of town would be Winnipeg or Thunder Bay! Usually the hort. club gets the bales of Promix, but it didn't happen this year. If i'd known we weren't getting it, i would have gotten my own, but i thought it had been arranged. Meanwhile - cinnamon, and peat pellets.

• mariana2007
    16 years ago

The nursery here is not open here either, but they sell if you call them ahead with your list. I knew that since fall, but visiting Sudbury, I bought lots of Promix potting soil for winter-sowing, and I used it for indoor too, sterilizing it with boiled water.
    The result: mass genocide in mixed petunia, lots of casualties in petunia Superbissima, and of course lots of mold in almost all containers. Big battle here with cinnamon and camomile tea. Finally I called the nursery and bought a bale of Promix BX, what a difference!...
    I will never buy potting soil to use it for winter-sowing or indoor.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Marcia, I think it was peppermint tea for the gnats.
    I went out and bought the Safer's Sticky Sticks like Sharon suggested. I have noticed a big difference.
    This is the first year I have had a problem with these bugs in years. I guess that is what happens when you bring in 30ish potted irises from outside in the fall. I've been trying everything this winter. Safer's Soap, Defender, Raid, Dish soap and more .........they keep coming back. Some of my plants wilt before I water because I have been trying to keep all pots on the dry side.
    Raid used to work. Years ago, I used to spray the dirt and then water the plant. Boom they were gone. They must of changed the raid.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

For fungus gnats I bought a container of 'Fungas Gnat Killer' from Lindenberg's about 10 years ago for $4.99. I do not know if it is still available. The directions say to 'apply dust lightly to soil around plant. Repeat as needed but no more than once every 2 months.' The white powder's active chemical agent is chlorpyrifos 0.5%.

I have used it with much success over the years. Last year I put up with the gnats but this year I have only seen one every week or so. So, because of that, I have not used the FG Killer this winter.

As far as starting plants...I have the same problem as Laurie...I need to clean off the area first before I can start anything. I am hoping to do so tomorrow. I have bought my petunia seeds and am hoping to start a few others also.

I did take cuttings from my plectranthus about 2 weeks ago, placed them in water and now am planting up the little rooted cuttings. I have started hundreds of the following...
    -Cuban Oregano (Plectranthus)
    -Variegated Cuban Oregano (Plectranthus)
    -Mona Lavender Plectranthus
    -Iboza Plectranthus
    -Frosted Jade Plectranthus
    -Nico Plectranthus (P. coleoides)
    -Silver Plectranthus (P. argentatus)
    -Swedish Ivy Plectranthus
    -An extremely large variety of plectranthus with a solid light green fuzzy leaf. It came with no name and the nursery I got it from couldn't provide me with a name either.

I also have lots of baby spider plants to plant up and a bird's nest fern to divide and plant up.

Also I have slips of these three wandering jews...
    -Fuzzy White Wandering Jew http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31747/
    -Purple Heart Wandering Jew
    -Also...a wandering jew that has green leaves, purple underside and if it gets enough sunlight the leaves get variegated colors not going from tip to tail on the leaf but rather across the leaf. Really different but I have been stumped as to finding out its name. Anyone out there with any ideas??

Some of the mother plants were so large that when I cut them back I ended up with up to 100 cuttings of each kind. I am planning on planting them into little containers and sell them at my table at the farmer's market this summer. I may also make an assorted basket of plectranthus to sell then.

Some varieties of sedums from last fall's cuttings I took just before freeze up have done very well over the winter and have made tiny little plants. They spent all winter in the sunroom just above freezing and were watered sparingly. Some secummed to the lack of water while others didn't seem to mind. (Next year I will water more often). I now have little sedum babies to transplant into their own individual pots one of these days. At the beginning of summer this year, I would like to take cuttings of some of the newer more interesting varieties of sedums that I only have one plant of (like Jaws and Postman's Pride) and start them then instead of only in the fall. But next fall I will for sure take more cuttings of the newer varieties of sedums again.

Brenda

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Brenda, at first I thought your mystery plant might be a Calathea zebrinus but I can't find a pendulous form of it so probably not. Good to hear your sedum starts did well.

My indoor sowing is going well - thankfully no molds or fungus gnats to contend with (so far, fingers crossed). Snapdragons are up, just coming into the true leaf stage, and are looking good. I am always amazed what this tiny, tiny seedling lands up producing. Dianthus Corona Cherry Magic looks like it can be transplanted soon, and annual carnations and chrysanthemums will follow shortly after.

Yesterday I transplanted a flat (54's) of a variety of rock garden dianthus and gypsophila. I also started some other rock garden type plants (Saxifraga, Draba, Penstemon) but they're slower growing so will not need transplanting for some time. Also have started 3 kinds of Campanula but it looks like they will also grow slowly enough that transplanting can wait until I get in the greenhouse.

I ordered (from Wm Dam) and started Perovskia Taiga. They're up and looking very robust, but a little note came with the seed that said oops, the catalogue said it was zone 3 but really it's zone 5. Great. Oh well, maybe with some luck and this early start I'll see some blooms before winter. Or maybe it'll be one of those plants that defy what the catalogue says and thrives in a cold zone. Here's hoping.

I think every seed from the Gardens North packet of Lilium concolor strictum germinated within 2 weeks. On the other hand, my second try at Sysrinchium montanum (Blue Eyed Grass) looks to be just as much a failure as the first time I tried. Grrr.

Yesterday I also seeded some dwarf Munstead lavender and today will seed oregano, 2 varieties of basil, parsley, garlic chives, and summer savory. I kinda have a thought in mind to sell some gallon pots of herbs, chili pepper and tomato plants at farmers market this summer. I have stacks of black one and two gallon pots taking up room in the greenhouse so this is my solution to that problem, LOL.

Speaking of greenhouses, mine still has a pretty good sized snowdrift in front of it - once shoveled out but back again. I am so hoping the weather has a turnaround soon to melt the snow and chase the cold temps away. I am really hoping to move into the greenhouse the first week of April.

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon,

Swallowtail sends them in vials. The quantities were very good and even the bulk seeds (you might think of sharing these) they sent were very reasonably priced. I order the Primula Hethor Tagetes which is gorgeous (it has the colors of a marigold - orange and yellow) and several other types. I did also order the Petunia seeds (but just in packs because these are only for me) and they germinated really well. Summerhill Seeds does not put the seeds in vials and the some of the pelleted seeds that I ordered from them did get crushed in the mail. However, the price was right as the Petunia Wave series had at least 15 seeds and they were $3.25. So I really didn't care if some of the seeds were crushed. Summerhill Seeds has great vines - she even sells Allamanda Cherries Jubilee which is a gorgeous tropical vine that sells for quite a bit of money in these parts.

• savona
    16 years ago

This year I have used a combination of 3 things for the gnat problems. I have been using chamomile tea,Wilson's soil dust and a flying insect spray called "Konk" that I bought at the local Co-op hardware. If I see an occational gnat flying I spray and make a batch of tea, if I happen to find gnat larva in one of my containers (I have to use a magnifying glass) I take tweezers and pick them out and then use the soil dust on top of the tea. I seem to bring the gnats in either with my petunia and clematis cuttings or they just find a way into the house in the fall and find the cuttings themselves. But using all three has kept the gnats down to very few over the winter.
    I started my greenhouse up the 2nd of this month and was being careful on how much I took out there seeing that the third week of March usually has a few cold days in it. Last night was the coldest , we have -16 and we put a propane heater on out in the greenhouse last night besides the wood heater .
    I think I am past the 1/2 mark with the indoor sowing. It is so much easier to transplant out in the green house and the mess is easier to deal with..lol..savona

• gladzoe
    16 years ago

Maryv, how long did it take to get the swallowtail seeds? I put in an order on Feb 19th and am still waiting (anxiously) for them to arrive. Not that I have room and lights when they do arrive, but those are issues that can be overcome.

• marilenav1
    16 years ago

Hello gladzoe,

It took about 2 to 3 weeks for the seeds to get here when I ordered from the retail area. When I ordered from the bulk seeds, it took about 1 month. I would go ahead and call them to find out the status of your order because they are usually very prompt in sending the seeds. The reason it takes 2 to 3 weeks I assume is because I am in Eastern Canada and Swallowtail is in California.

• gladzoe
    16 years ago

They finally arived, and on my day off too!! Now I get to plant:

Purple Bell Vine
    Dhalia (Figaro, Pompom Double Mixed, Decorative giants mixed, Cactus Flowered hybrids mixed)
    Alstromeria new hybrids
    Geranium ivy summer showers mix
    Zebra Hollyhock

16 years ago

Today as i was driving by one of the nurseries, i spotted a vehicle parked in front, so i deked in quick. The sign said closed but the door was open, so i went inside - heaven! Of course there were no blooms yet, but there are a heck of a lot of things started in there and it was great to breathe it all in! Anyway, the guy who was working there finally appeared and i asked him for some seed-starting mix. They didn't have any in yet - it was supposed to come today but there was some kind of screw-up and it won't be in until tomorrow. I guess they cut it close with what they had left from last year! So tomorrow, i'll be getting a bale of Promix, and hopefully my mold woes will be over!

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Good for you Marcia. I have gone through a few bales of Promix already. Transplanting takes a lot of mix. It is hard to find this year.

The place where I usually get the sunshine mix.....I got one bale and brought it home and it made my basement smell like lawn chemical.....so I took it back, and didn't buy any more there. As I found out there was only one other place that carried the bales of promix this early. So I have been getting it there. I was a bit shocked that HD, CT, or WM didn't have any in.

The astilbes and bleeding hearts that I potted up are now starting to bloom. That was pretty fast and not really expected.....but that is okay. When I add a new garden, I don't expect it to look perfect the first year with everything blooming when it should. Next year....

Would you like a bumble bee with that? I have found 3 bees on my impatiens in the basement in the last week or two. I can't find where they are comming from....but I wish they would stop. What am I supposed to do with bumble bees at this time of year? We still have a good 5 feet of snow. I feel bad, but yes I have been squishing them, I can't have bees in the house.

Sierra

16 years ago

Our Walmart and Can. Tire never have bales of anything. This year (i've mentioned this already), neither of them even had any seed-starting mix. Unbelievable.

I've never had bees in the house - the occasional mosquito, yes, but never bees!

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I have had bees in the house!! Not bumblebees but a honey bee of some sort, I think it was.

About 7 years ago, in the fall, I pulled the onions out of the garden, braided them and hung the braids in an old barn we had, so they could cure. Then when the temps started dipping I brought them inside to hang in the unheated freezer room. Well, I guess the warmer temperatures woke up the bees. My fly swatter was very busy for a day or two.

Wonder where your 3 bees came from, Sierra. hmmmm.....

Brenda

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hmm well I bought some bales of sunshine mix at wm last year, but it was later in the season. And I bought some at hd to fill some of the planters.....so I know they do get it in....but you would think it would get here earlier than when we plant out.

Brenda, I am suspicious that they have a nest in the dryer vent or near it. I am not sure though. I don't think they were on anything that I brought in. I don't have a fly swatter, but the stokes catalogue works pretty good too. haha.

Sierra

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Sierra, the dryer vent or some small crack in the wall sounds likely for bumble bees. Although they are usually solitary bees (?) hmmm must be a popular spot.

I finally got a few minutes to start some seeds the other night... two days later I have sprouts in five different types! I love sprouts! Do asters bloom the first year? I have never had one before.

• glen3a
    16 years ago

Just so you guys know, I found a great deal on canna bulbs at W-mart. They were 3 bulbs, in quite a big size bag, #1 grade, for $7.97. I usually start my cannas in two litre milk containers but two of the roots were so big I had to start them in a one-gallon pot, and even then had to angle the root somewhat to get it to fit lengthwise in the pot. They had some regular green cannas as well as Tropicanna and something called gold tropicanna (which actually just reminded me of one called Pretoria).

They also had dahlia bulbs for the same price. I just thought I would mention as I was surprised by the decent quality and as a bonus you could early see through the plastic and peat moss to see that the roots were healthy and already sprouting.

I just started my impatiens and petunias this week. A bit late, but they finally arrived in the mail.

Glen

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I also saw the Gold Tropicanna Cannas at Walmart and brought a bag of them home with me. I was able to divide 2 of the 3 into two pieces and then I planted them all into one large pot. I already have a Tropicanna Canna that I got at Home Depot's clearance last summer. I would like to make a little arrangement on the deck with these as the backdrop.

I also started my Ramblin' petunias today. A little late but since I had them I felt I should start them. They are sitting on top of the hot tub lid in the sunroom. Each day the sun shines through the windows onto that area and so, I will see if they will sprout there or not. If not, then I guess I will plug in the growlight.

Canadian Tire just got their roses in on Friday...if anyone out there is interested in getting some roses.... I picked up "Love", but am going back to see what else they have on Tues when I have more time.

Brenda

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Doh! I bought one scrawny little canna at Cdn Tire for $6.99 *kicking self*. And I had a great one called Cleopatra last summer but now I can't find it! I remember digging it up... and that's it.

Brenda are the Cdn Tire roses in body bags? It seems really early for roses!

16 years ago

Last year both Canadian Tire and Walmart had their body bag roses in really early. Last year i bought "Show Biz" and it actually did really well in a container all summer, so i planted it in the ground in the fall. If it doesn't make it, well, there's $4.99 down the drain. :)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Gil, they are in green plastic pots, 6" square on top, 8.5" deep.
    I didn't see any 'body bagged' roses. (Makes them sound like they are already dead. :)

Brenda

• sprayman
    16 years ago

Got pansies,petunia 6 waves types & 8 reg types, verbascum nigrum, campanula,Datura, chinese lanterns, lupins, lisianthus, brazilian fireworks, potentilla, lambs ear, coliumbine, new becopa, veronica, jungle gold impatiens,tomatoes, peppers & coleus
    Got a bunch more to start yet
    I'm cheating a bit by taking them out in the green house for the day
    Hope to start GH next week

{{gwi:732506}}

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hey Gil, Well I haven't found anymore bees so I am happy about that.

Yes Asters will bloom the first year....for me anyway.

Sierra

• gladzoe
    16 years ago

I like the body bag roses. My favorite was only $1 at Walmart and has rewarded me for three years with hundreds of little flowers that bloom in entire bouquets. My next favorite was about three bucks and has dark red blooms that are larger than softballs. I also had a nice fuschia pink one last year and a climber I put in a huge tree pot but got no blooms. I'm curious to see if the climber comes back as I left it in the tree pot over the winter. Even if it doesn't, it was cheaper than a latte. I also learned that putting them in a four gallon pot for a few months results in a larger healthier plant than directly into the ground.

• redpeony
    16 years ago

Yesterday I was at home with my kids (5 and 3) and we tried to plant some seeds together. We planted some Rudbeckia Spotlight as well as 2 types of Marigolds. I am also going to try to wintersow some of these seeds at the end of April or beginning of May - so I won't be too unhappy if they don't grow that well. I was more the act of planting that was the fun for the day.

I also started some dahlia roots, 8 yesterday and 2 other ones a couple weeks ago. The kids had a lot more fun planting the dahlia roots because they got to shovel a lot more dirt with their spoons! The first 2 roots I started at the beginning of March, and I pinched them off between 3 and 4 leaf pairs. I was reading about dahlia's on the net recently so I am going to try to pinch out the growing tips of the dinner plate dahlia's the way it is recommended for a more branched plant. The last time I planted them I didn't pinch any of them, and I planted them a bit late so they barely flowered before the frost got to them. I have high hopes for this year if they all start well and transplant well.

Janet

• stanly
    16 years ago

I was in Hawaii for 2 weeks and got back on the 23rd so the first thing I did was go to Superstore and bought some Asiatic Lilies, Gran Paradiso-12, Dot Com-9 and Landini-6. Then went to Walmart and bought 3 bags of 3 each Canna Lilies. The Asiatics were $3.99 pkg and the Cannas were $7.99 bag of 3. Here we go! Stan

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Today I indoor sowed...
    Portulaca Margarita Rosita
    Dianthus Supra Purple
    Nicotiana Perfume Deep Purple
    Nicotiana x sanderae Fragrant Cloud

This is when its starts getting busy and right now the growing lights downstairs are packed full and are on rotating shifts. Hopefully the weather will smart up and I'll be able to move some seedlings out to the GH by next week.

Sharon

• mxbarbie
    16 years ago

Well I planted everything way too early again this year, but I figured, I might as well just run with it!... I should be eating zuccini in about 10 days. My zuccini, pumpkin, butternut squash and red kuri squash were getting so big in the 4" pots I had to transplant them or feed them to the chickens and start over so I planted them in some 4gal pots I kept from my cedar hedges. I mixed 1/2 and 1/2 compost and sunshine #4 they are doing great!! I plan on leaving them in the pots and placing them around the yard once it gets warm enough.

• love2b_home
    16 years ago

Canna's and dahlias; what soil do you use for them? I have been reading up and am so absolutely confused; so many options, so little agreement. Name a soil or mix and that's what I will so. Being a newbie to flowers is such a challenge!

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I tried some sowing some varieties I had not tried before, they were 'Luna' Hibiscus - doing well, Brachycomb - I think I kept it to wet but it's still growing, Alternantha - doing very well. My last sowing was 'Dwarf Fairy Pink' Lupin,'Broken Colors' Four O'Clocks and 'Picotee Blue' Morning Glory - I can't wait to see the flowers on this one! I also started my vegies to early so I started some new plants on Apr. 1. We'll see how they do. Marg

• prairierose
    16 years ago

I've run out of room inside too. I'm hoping to be able to move my snapdragons and petunias out the greenhouse by next week. First I have to get some benches built on the weekend to hold them. I had planned to cut back, but then I got the box of seeds, and then Gardens North had their 50% off sale...Lots more for indoor and winter sowing.

Connie

• petunia2
    16 years ago

Count me in with just about being out of room inside, too--and no greenhouse! I'll have to keep rotating things inside until it's time for them to go out for good. I was hoping that very soon if the daytime temps reach 12-15 (?) I could set my pansies out during the day, but we got a huge snowfall on the weekend, so it'll be a while!

I've got lots up--petunias (great idea about taking cuttings; my waves should soon be ready for that), tomatoes, lobelia, asters, zinnias, some sunflowers (want to compare them with wintersown), heliotrope, snaps, a few lisianthus, dianthas, nigella, grasses and many mystery varieties! Also have some callas coming along and am hoping that my alstromeria from Shauna last year will be sprouting soon.

Love this time of year!