SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

The World's Toughest Daylily Seedlings

15 years ago

I shouldn't even post this picture with all the beautiful gardens I see here. But I did, nevertheless. (The white thing on a stick is a faded bar of Irish Spring soap. Suggested by someone here at the forum as a deer deterrent, we placed them all around the bed.) This picture was taken only after my worker ran the weedeater down the paths and over the tops of the rows, cutting back a lot of the tall growth. That helped a lot to find the daylilies hidden underneath it all.

This is a picture of a 30' x 100' field bed we created down in the pasture last year. It was an enormous challenge, due to the black gumbo soil. Once it was tilled, it looked like black rocks. With plenty of amendments, we finally got it broken down enough to plant the 1,000+ waiting seedlings. I only got them all planted with help from friends.

The weather cooled down, and along came the deer and rabbits. Thinking that they had eaten most of them, and that the bluebonnets and native grasses had wiped out what was left, I gave up on it. It was very, very disheartening.

A dear daylily friend came over recently early one morning and started weeding one row. I didn't know she was down there, as we were working in our daylily beds near the house. She called me on her cell phone, and I went down there to see what she had uncovered. To my astonishment, there were lots of daylily seedlings hanging in there.

I dropped everything else and started weeding this mess. I set the alarm for 6 A.M. every day. As soon as my feet hit the floor, I ran for the pasture. I'd work until the sun ran me back inside. It took me weeks to finally finish this bed. On the last day, after pulling the last weeds, my hand and wrist collapsed. I'm nursing swollen fingers right now, but by golly, I did it.

Don't you think these seedlings deserve the above title? SnapShot is ordered and will arrive this coming Thursday, thanks to a suggestion by Ed Travis. Hopefully, I'll never have to do this again as long as I live.

I'm an official "learn it the hard way" daylily farmer now!

Nancy

Comments (8)