SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
star_gazer_lily

HAVE: Vancouver Fall Swap Part 2 - Sept 25

star_gazer_lily
18 years ago

Okay, this is thread 2 for the Fall Swap, since the first one maxxed out. :-) I'll repeat the introduction:

----------------

I'd like to invite all Vancouver area gardeners to my place (South Burnaby, near Imperial & Canada Way) for the annual Fall Swap, Sunday September 25, starting approx 1:30 PM, and swap 'til we drop. :-)

Comments (74)

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Gals and Guys,

Just got back from fishing and on my way back we stopped in at Minter Gardens. Mr. Brian Minters was sweeping the floor at the front entrace!!!

Anyway, I bought a sedum purple emperer. I think Katherine was looking for it. Can I bring a rosette for propagation? Or should we wait until the Spring?

Karen.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Helen: we're going to miss you but we'll just catch up in Spring.

Erka: the grape boxes will be just fine. I have a source for the fish boxes now.

GF: That's the problem with owning your own business - you gotta do all the dirty work yourself. I think sedums always root no matter when. I have a bunch that has been sitting on a soil-less tray all year that is still alive.

• Related Discussions

have: earl, nc plant swap sept 14th.

Q

Comments (4)
    No plants for sale. It's a free plant swap. If you have garden supplies, books or anything garden related you can swap that stuff. At the moment those who have said they are coming 50% of them have no plants, but they have garden related items. I don't know how many plants we are going to end up with, at the moment it isn't looking like too very many.
    ...See More

HAVE: Vancouver Fall Swap - Sept 25

Q

Comments (101)
    Hello all. It sounds like the swap is near my work but I don't know if I will be working that day, a big commute . I am still taking orange day lilly donations for my erosion control project. Thanks again to everyone for the assortment of daylillies last swap. Helen are they still available? I am planning to update my trade list but the following are the basics: ~8 phgelius divisions 1 azalea division 1 acanthus, bear's breeches 2 or 3 grapes rooted cuttings 1 acanthus no doubt lots of feverfew and meadows rue:) lots of godetia seed pods hops vine cuttings to try I hope to post a pic of my assorted dahlias which I dont think I will have dug up by the 25th, but willing to negotiate for later. Also Karin Litzcke, I am interested in the dutchmans pipe and nectaroscodum, for which I believe I owe you phygelius.
    ...See More

HAVE: Have Fall Swap Sept 15th in Woodbury

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Adam: Glad that you will be coming. Your dahlias look beautiful this year, maybe because we had been having more sun than rain. If someone is interested, I can bring one too. As for me I would like blue berries, blackberries, gooseberries and hardy green onions. Like you, I tend to take too much home. Unfortunately, I do not have too many sunny spots. Flower plants for dry, shady or part shady places will be good too. The snow=on-the mountain will spread like mad in a wet spot but quite slow in dry places, expecially sunny ones. Tammy, I have not gotten directions yet. Hope you can successfully email me. I Look forward to seeing everyone! May
    ...See More

update: part 2 -- wlomwl swap (what's left on my want list swap)

Q

Comments (149)
    I am all too familiar with clutter. So acquainted, in fact, that I think most of it has become permanent features to the house. We have so much stuff now, we are having to move & build a bigger house. All of this "clutter" is actually things that we need & use regularly. We are just running out of spaces to put things. My husband & I each have our own hobbies that require a room all to ourselves to store everything. My plants have taken over the only usable guest bedroom, our closest shelves are on the verge of falling off the walls, his computer room can barely contain what he has in there, my art room you have to be an expert rock climber to get around in. I have always been one of those people who has the compulsion to hide things. I have things stuffed away in all cabinets through out the house, on top of the cabinets & refrigerator, stuff is under the beds, in drawers with clothes-if it can fit in a spot, I will squirrel it away. It helps keep my house looking nice & tidy.
    ...See More
  • star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anyone with experience or interest in native plants who would like a shoot of asarum caudatum (wild ginger) or cornus canadensis (bunchberry)?

• karinl
    18 years ago

Lily, I would love a piece of that bunchberry. If you have any hints on how to grow it as well, that wouldn't hurt!

JJ, those hostas are yours.

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

Lily I would love some bunchberry as well if you have anymore to spare.

Thanks bcgift, I'll bring a couple of tip cuttings then for Katherine and whoever else wants it. Right now it's just two stems though it wasn't cheap. I also saw a Razzmatazz echinacea there too in a 4 inch square pot and had carried it around for a while until I noticed it was 29.99!

K.

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GF & KarinL - For sure. I've never grown bunchberry before, but it seems to like a mulch of rotting wood & leaves, and lots of shade. If we all try, then hopefully we can share our successes. I've linked a nice article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about Cornus Canadensis

• jazzyjasmine
    18 years ago

Hi Lily:

Have you got anymore of the bunchberry and wild ginger to spare?

JJ

• leafhopper
    18 years ago

Hey Lily,
    I'm soooo sorry! I can't come now! I'll be in Seattle all day. I've been inundated with projects, new job, life, etc and haven't been a very good garden buddy, I'm afraid. But, I'll be there in spirit! I am saving some tomato seeds and also may be getting rid of my seed stock from my website for cheap so let me know if there's anything you'd be interested in.

See you guys some other time!
    leaf

• karinl
    18 years ago

Vincent, I just realized that my promise to you of a piece of Dutchman's pipe vine was a little rash. I went to dig and divide it today only to see that its multiple stems all arise from a single trunk, so it is not divisible as I had thought. I will have to try harder to root a cutting for you or layer it for next year.

• karinl
    18 years ago

Well push is coming to shove as we near our date and I still have more stuff I'd like to move out. I am not needing much in return at the moment and will trade for future considerations.

I have three baby mophead hydrangeas, garden variety blue, cuttings from a very rewarding plant.

And two baby Salix yezo-alpina, a ground cover shrublet for sun whose leaves emerge nice and fuzzy in spring.

One Kirengeshoma palmata (yellow wax bells), a tall perennial for shade or part sun with - what else? - waxy yellow bell-shaped flowers, blooming now.

Here are photos of some others. Google can find better images of many of these plants, but I have some photos of the very plants available.
    Fetchingly arranged in the wheelbarrow, left to right, top to bottom:

Xanthoceras sorbifolium (2) (a thicket-forming shrub with tiny brownish-red flowers)
    Oakleaf hydrangeas (2)
    Viburnum rhytidophyllum (leatherleaf)
    Very small but later very big Blue hosta - elegans?
    Dichroa febrifugia - blue flowers, blue berries
    Saxifrage umbrosa primuloides - fantastic ground cover for dry shade and anywhere else
    Eriophyllum (Oregon Sunshine) - ground cover for sun
    Cystopteris bulbifera - a delicate creeping deciduous fern

{{gwi:696015}}

If anyone's Dichroa from spring didn't survive, don't be embarrassed; ask for another. I have lots.

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that Leaf and Helen won't be able to attend. Spring will be here soon though!!

I am going over my lists - Helen, will your friend Li still be attending the swap?

WCG

Here is a link that might be useful: Ist thread for the swap

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

Just re-read both threads to double check my trading notes. I'll email everyone I am trading with over the next couple of days to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Lily - I missed your offer of asters the first time around. I'd like a white and purple one if you still have them available.

• Helen_vancouver
    18 years ago

As far as I know, Li is coming. She said she'll try and bring as much of the extra as possible too. Her garden is very nice. Wish I have a big yard like hers :-)

• karinl
    18 years ago

Aaack! A mistake in my list above. First item in the wheelbarrow is Xanthorhiza simplicissima (Yellowroot), not Xanthoceras as listed. Description is correct, however.

Also sorry to hear our numbers will be down, and hope more folks can make it in spring again.

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

I am glad to hear that Li is still coming Helen. Has she indicated what she would like from our lists? I would like to make sure I bring some plants that she would specifically want in trade for the ones on her list I have an interest in.

Also, has anyone heard from Bluebloom? I just realized she hasn't posted at all.

WCG

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

I've spoken to Bluebloom - she's still trying to catch up and also get ready for parent's visit so she isn't coming
    as of the last time I heard from her.

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

I emailed Lisa aka Totalchoas this morning.

Will report any news as it comes in.

Karen.

• barvinok
    18 years ago

Hi everybody,
    I'm still not sure that I can make it to the swap but...
    Karin can I have Salix yezo-alpina and Kirengeshoma palmata, please ;-)?
    Anna

• Helen_vancouver
    18 years ago

Li didn't mention what she wanted when I saw her last week. I think she's more into finding homes for her extras then looking for much of anything.

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JJ - Yes to the bunchberry & wild ginger, the more of us try to establish these, the better luck we'll succeed.

WCG - Yes to the asters, I'll set aside the one purple & one pot of mixed white/purple (not sure of which).

Does anyone have any physalis (chinese lanterns) which they can spare? I'd love to start this (yes I've been warned, it can really spread).

• karinl
    18 years ago

Anna, yes you can have those, whether you make it to the swap or not. Perhaps someone who lives convenient to you can take your plants for you...?

Lily, if you are spreading your bunchberry a little thin with so many divisions, I can wait for another time for mine.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

WCG: Earlier this Spring you mentioned the fragrance of your Robinia (honey locust) - I meant to ask you before but forgot about it. Did you by any chance collect seed or any volunteers ?

• jazzyjasmine
    18 years ago

Hi all:

Trying to get it all together for the swap. A lot of the seedlings I started early this year bit the dust - slugs slugs slugs - the dirty devils, mice, aphids, you name the plague - I had it. I learned a lot, though, during my first winter sowing and growing, and won't be making the same mistakes again. Bought a lot of plants this summer but most are too small to divide. Took cuttings a couple of weeks ago but most didn't take. Therefore, what I have left to offer are a few plants and quite a few seeds I harvested this summer. Anybody interested in anything I have listed below?

LILY - Thanks for saving the bunchberry division and wild ginger division for me. If those are too many divisions I can wait till next time. Do you still have the Geranium Victor Reiter plant and Allium giganteum seed heads? I have Chinese Lantern seeds from last year if you want them.

KAREN - Yes, your Yucca has survived nicely. I got it for my father. He loves those. He wants a red one too but I don't know anyone who has one. Do you still have tricyrtis hirta? I can't find the one you gave me at the spring swap. Maybe the slugs got that too.

ANNA - if by chance you are coming to the swap can you spare a Begonia Grandis seedling or 2, the Gunnera manicata, and a Phlox subulata rooted cutting?

VMARCOS - Do you still have Godetia seed pods? What colour are the flowers? Do you still have the Camellia 'kramer's supreme? I've been looking for that one. Have you got any cuttings from your Arctic Kiwi vine?

Plants I have available

Aquilegia (Columbine) 'magpie' - division - (1)
    Buddleja (butterfly bush)-a medium purple with blue tints cuttings taken in spring that have already flowered-2' high (1)
    Carex Pendula - small now, will get huge eventually
    Chelidonium majus ('double-flowered' greater Celandine) - small plants
    Dicentra Formosa - 1 plant
    Ferns: sword ferns (Polystichum munitum) - 1 small
    lady ferns (Athyrium filix-femina) - 6 small
    deer ferns (Blechnum Spicant) - 2 small
    Hesperis (sweet rocket)
    Meconopsis Cambrica (Welch poppy) - orange or yellow
    Pelargonium 'Fireworks' - pink bi-colour - 1 (has to be taken inside for winter)
    Persicaria bistorta - (1)
    Strobilanthes dyerianus (Persian Shield) - 3 (have to be taken inside for winter)
    Vinca minor

cuttings: these look like they will make it - cut these Aug. 28

Salvia elegans 'honey melon' - (1)
    Lemon Verbena

My seeds so far - (all harvested in summer/05)

Agastache 'apricot sprite'
    Anemanthele lessoniana (syn. Stipa arundinacea) - wind grass
    Aquilegia (columbine) - 'Magpie'
    Aquilegia (columbine) - Nora Barlow
    Aquilegia (columbine) - light pink
    Aquilegia (columbine) - medium blue
    Aquilegia (columbine) - purple
    Arabis blepharophylla 'spring charm'
    Arctotis hybrid 'Sun Spot'
    Astrantia major (Masterwort)
    Buddleja 'black knight'
    Carex Pendula
    Centaurea dealbata
    Centranthus (Valerian) - red
    Chelidonium majus 'flore pleno' (double greater celandine)
    Chichorium intybus (Chicory)
    Coreopsis 'Limerock Ruby'
    Corydalis cheilanthifolia
    Corydalis lutea
    Corydalis ochroleuca
    Delphinium 'black knight'
    Dicentra formosa
    Eragrostis (lovegrass) 'ruby silk'
    Grindelia integrifolia (gumweed) - yellow
    Hesperis lutea (syn. Sisymbrium luteum)
    Hesperis matronalis
    Heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine'
    Impatiens - crystal tempo mix - dark pink
    Impatiens - crystal tempo mix - light pink
    Impatiens - crystal tempo mix - 'mosaic lilac'
    Impatiens - crystal tempo mix - purple
    Impatiens - crystal tempo mix - salmon
    Lunaria annua
    Luzula nivea (snowy woodrush)
    Lychnis Coronaria
    Lychnis Coronaria 'Angel's Blush'
    Meconopsis cambrica - orange & yellow mix
    Myrrhis odorata (sweet cicely)
    Morning glory - mix (purples, blue, pink, white, etc.)
    Oenothera (evening primrose) - this one grew to 6' tall in 1/2 shade.
    Multi-branching, bright yellow, fragrant, counted 200 blooms in succession.
    Papaver somniferum mix - singles, doubles, different colours
    Persicaria bistorta
    Senetti magenta (might not come true from seed)
    Sisymbrium luteum (syn. Hesperis lutea)
    Thalictrum aquilegifolium
    Thalictrum rochebrunianum 'lavender mist'

JJ

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JJ - Yes to bunchberry, wild ginger, geranium "Victor Reiter", and allium giganteum seed head. Sure, I would like some chinese lantern seeds. Also, any of these you can spare & have time to prepare: cutting of lemon verbena, seeds of buddleia 'black knight', Coreopsis 'Limerock Ruby', Corydalis ochroleuca, delphinium 'black knight', heliopsis 'lorraine sunshine', lychnis 'angel's blush', and Thalictrum 'lavender mist'.

• karinl
    18 years ago

Now that I've made arrangements for enough plants to leave the yard that I will be able to breathe, I have some brain space left over to think about stuff that others have posted as being available.

Anna - if you are coming - is there still a leftover Begonia grandis?

Vincent - if you are coming - which Viburnums do you have to try for cuttings?

Helen, could you ask Li if she could spare a piece of Holcus mollis?

Karen, will you have your monster pick-up truck there? Not because I want to trade for it :-) but because if so I can try to bring the big Viburnum. I can't get to the Physocarpus yet.

Finally, Erka, if you will have a few extra pieces of that Dahlia Pat Feary, I would like to try one - could I interest you in a Hosta Sagae or Grand Tiara in trade?

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

Hi KarinL,

No I won't have the monster truck. I'm too scared to drive it. I've only got my PT Cruiser that day. I will have to have hubby drive the monster truck some other day. Does BCgift not want it though? I thought she was asking about it earlier? It is very fragrant when in bloom around late winter. It's definitely a wafter and I know she's all about fragrance.

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

Hi Karin. The viburnums I have are pink beauty, burkwood and snowflake I believe. Also a bodnantese somewhere too which is winter flowering.

I have a pile of godetia stems with pods on them in my wheel barrel right now. They have silky multicoloured petals with a single spot usually, pink and white for example. I can bring the cuttings Jazzy. I will have to hustle tomorrow.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

GF: I didn't want the Viburnum, it's yours - besides I'm sure Karin has small rooted cuttings and if not, I'll get
    some from you later when I want it.

• barvinok
    18 years ago

I'm not coming but BCGift will bring my trades to and from the swap-thank you BCGift.
    See you all in the Spring.
    Anna

• jazzyjasmine
    18 years ago

LILY - Thanks so much for all you can spare. And yes to all you want.

VMARCOS - What did you want in return?

Does anybody else want anything from my list?

• magus
    18 years ago

GF, I have a friend who would like to start some Black Krim tomatoes, and I found that you have seeds for those in your list. Can I trade you something for that?

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

VMarcos - You mention daylilies on your wants list, do you want a start of "Kwanzo" (double/triple orange)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemerocallis

• bluebloom
    18 years ago

Hi All,

I've just been peeping at your posts from time to time, but alas won't be making it to this swap so dare not engage; still have some leftover trading with some of you. Will have to catch up later individually or at the spring swap.

Have fun... weather looks like it'll be great!

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I haven't emailed everyone yet - but I am getting there!

Murphy's Law: My son's first hockey game was scheduled for this afternoon and has now been moved to tomorrow afternoon!!! I will be arriving at the swap at 1:30 exactly and will have about half an hour to trade. Waaahhhhh.

WCG

• magus
    18 years ago

WCG: Darn! That means I won't get to chat with you, as I will be coming late (I work tomorrow until 3:00). I am still interested in the peat moss, though. I would prefer to thank you in person, but I will still reserve some carnivorous critters for you when I get them germinated, though. I should have Drosera rotundifolia added to the list soon, too. (I can't resist those carnivorous critters, especially the native ones).

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

I won't be there till 2 at the earliest so if I miss you
    please leave my things with Karin or whomever. I'm pretty
    central to everybody.

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

I can stay a few minutes after 2pm BCGift.

Magus - I will leave your peat moss and the white iris I promised you.

Hopefully I will have more time in the spring, but if I recall correctly I was rushing off to get the same son to baseball that day!

WCG

• Erka
    18 years ago

Westcoast Garden: I will be arriving around 2 pm tomorrow and have the bowling ball and Pat Feary dahlia for you. Hope to see you before you leave. If not, will some one relay the above to you?

• totalchaos
    18 years ago

Hi everyone!

I hope your gardens all had a good summer. Unfortunately, I have 2 soccer games and a birthday party to attend at 1:30. Thank you Karen and Lily for keeping me in mind. I am very disappointed that I can't make it. My son told me today he wants to try some winter sowing so I plan to see you all in the spring!

Lisa

• karinl
    18 years ago

Oh dear. That illustrates why my kids are in individual rather than team sports... :-)

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

You have a lovely garden Lily. I wish I was able to spend more time in it and had the time to visit with everyone!

I hope I didn't forget any trade items - please remind me if I did!!

Thanks again for hosting Lily.

Katherine
    (westcoastgarden)

• Erka
    18 years ago

Stargazer Lily: Thanks for hosting the swap in your beautiful yard. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Thanks for all the plants, JJ, Li and Stargazer. Tomorrow, Susan and I will be planting at the traffic bulges. If any of you are in the UBC area, do drive by the garden/traffic bulges at 8th Avenue & TRimble. We try to keep these beds in bloom for as long as possible.

KarinL: I just saw your request for Pat Feary. I will save a tuber for you for the spring swap. Sorry I missed your message.

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

Thanks Lily for hosting the swap.

Thanks everyone for their plants and for taking mine.

Gorgeous yard!!!

Can't wait until the Spring swap for more gardening chatter.

Karen.

• karinl
    18 years ago

Lily thank you and your husband so much for hosting, and all for the delightful afternoon. In particular, nice that you and your wife were able to make that long trip, Vincent, and thank you for the HUGE phygelius, for which eventually that Dutchman's Pipe will be forthcoming.

Erka, not to worry; I totally forgot about the Dahlia too.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Lily: Thank you for hosting the swap. You've done a great job with the garden and it was a real pleasure spending the afternoon there. And thanks to your wonderful hubby and kids for their hospitality and for
    putting up with us.

Everybody: It was fun catching up with everyone, not to
    mention all the goodies I came home with. Thank you.

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

It was nice to meet everyone for the first time or again. We enjoyed getting out for a change.

Hope to also trade some dahlias next Spring.

I mostly have collected dinner plate varieties from Ferncliffe Gardens. Some that Ive misplaced the names but I have names to about ten of them. Should have some divisions when I dig them up and label them. I can post a list of the dahlias on the other website.

• Heather_81
    18 years ago

Thank you to Lily for hosting such a great swap, and thank you to everyone for the wonderful trades. The landscaper is finishing up my new flower beds as I type this, so soon all my new treasures will have a lovely new home.
    It was great seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones.

• jazzyjasmine
    18 years ago

LILY - Thank you so much for your hospitality and all the great plants you gave me at the swap. What a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon - chatting about plants with interesting people. I really enjoyed myself. An extra thanks for the bonus BBQ. Tell your hubby he makes tasty hot dogs!

And thanks again to everyone for sharing all your plants and seeds with me. I really appreciate it. I hope to share a lot of my winter-sown seedlings with you all at the spring swap.

JJ

• magus
    18 years ago

Thanks again for hosting the swap, Lily. And thanks to your husband for the great dogs! It was fun, especially looking at your great garden! I wish I had that much soil to put my plants into. Sigh.

Heather_81, sorry I missed you there. I had to work in the morning, so I couldn't come until 4:30ish. I still have those Black Barlow columbines, if you still want it. I can drop it off sometime later maybe.

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you to all who attended the fall swap, and for your great generosity to share your plants, your gardening advice, and your afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting with each of you - old friends & new alike.

Aren't we having wonderful weather, for planting all our new treasures? We are so blessed.

I look forward to seeing you all in the Spring, wherever we shall meet. Until then, happy gardening!

Lily

Sponsored
More Discussions