SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
star_gazer_lily

HAVE: Vancouver Fall Swap - Sept 25

star_gazer_lily
18 years ago

I'd like to invite all Vancouver area gardeners to my place (South Burnaby, near Imperial & Canada Way) for the annual Fall Swap, Sunday September 25, starting approx 1:30 PM, and swap 'til we drop. :-)

Comments (101)

• Heather_81
    18 years ago

Sorry I'm so late entering the fray, but I will definately be attending the swap. I don't know everything I'll have to trade yet, but will have several named sempervivum, can bring year-old daylily seedlings (sorry, don't know colours), passiflora caerulea if anyone is interested (it's hardy to -10, roots need protection), japanese anemone "Pamina",also divisions of pink single and white single japanese anemone, pulmonaria divisions (green leaves, pink flowers), can start cuttings of geranium Biokovo, Bevan's Variety, Ingwersen's Variety, phaeum, epimedium rubrum division, solomon's seal, Carex "Ice Dance", more to be announced.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

WCG: Would love a piece of 'Moonbeam' coreopsis.

Heather: Hi - can always use extra semps.

Robin and CanGrow: Do you have a 'wishlist' ?

On the subject of non-gardening items, I'm looking for styrofoam boxes (cooler or fishbox types). Any size but
    must be minimum 6" deep. I don't need covers.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Charlotte Fall Plant Swap 2012- Sept 22

Q

Comments (12)
    I have the following that I'm bringing to the swap or we can arrange a special trade: aloe- houseplant Porch Peach tree corn plant, 1 stalk- houseplant Easter cactus- very big Thanksgiving cactus- not sure of the color avocado plant that I caught growing in the compost 2 plum trees- these aren't coming to the swap- too big! I'm sure I have more.... If you don't have plants, you're welcome to just bring food... Plantbug suggests CHOCOLATE!
    ...See More

columbus ohio plant swap/potluck sept 17, 2006 fall 2nd

Q

Comments (109)
    Hi Beverly, To answer your Q?, I did go to Darby Creek Nursery,me and my friends went there after the swap. But they didn't have a good sale like they did last fall.We left there almost empty handed.But we had stopped at Shroders off of 71 on our way to the swap and before we got to the swap. They have some really good sales on their plants.That's where we bought most of our plants that day. On our way home we stopped at Seely's. I ended up buying 4 Hostas and Jacquie and her sister Bobbi bought 4 or 5. And we were loaded for bear.LOL I was in so much pain I couldn't hardly stand it. But It was fun.I couldn't unload my car and lucky for me I have some very able friends who don't mind helping or doing for me.Oh!! If I only Had My Legs Back!!! What's this Beverly about you having a Hosta Sale on the 30th? Did you sell them for a business or are they your own??Diane had emailed me with the info and date, But I didn't get the message till after the day of your sale. Sorry I missed it. Hope you did a good business!!! Hope you and Betty had fun at the swap.Fill us in on the Goodies you brought home!! Keep in touch!! Granny57 Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!
    ...See More

HAVE: Fall Swap Sept 15th

Q

Comments (8)
    Garden Web Fall Swap is coming up fast. I noticed the other day that the sumac is already changing color. Seems "a little" early to me. Please bring something for the potluck. Coffee and pop will be provided. We'll be eating first and have the swap after lunch. For those of you who haven't attended a swap you may want to bring: * plants potted and labelled  Paper & pens ready (for notes on plants, and for future trades when the plants get large enough to divide again)  a box or wagon to put your new found treasures in * sharpie and labels * garden books to swap or share * pictures of your garden * all your empty plastic garden pots I will send out an email to everyone that posts below with directions, etc about 10 days before the swap.
    ...See More

HAVE: Have Fall Swap Sept 15th in Woodbury

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Adam: Glad that you will be coming. Your dahlias look beautiful this year, maybe because we had been having more sun than rain. If someone is interested, I can bring one too. As for me I would like blue berries, blackberries, gooseberries and hardy green onions. Like you, I tend to take too much home. Unfortunately, I do not have too many sunny spots. Flower plants for dry, shady or part shady places will be good too. The snow=on-the mountain will spread like mad in a wet spot but quite slow in dry places, expecially sunny ones. Tammy, I have not gotten directions yet. Hope you can successfully email me. I Look forward to seeing everyone! May
    ...See More
  • gardening_fever
    18 years ago

WCG and whoever else is interested I'll bring a bunch of 1 gallon pots. They are coming out of my ears. I would love the moonbeam coreopsis. Thanks!

For stakes I use branches that I have handy - they look more natural and camouflage (sp?) better into the garden IMHO. If anybody likes I can go into my ravine and whack some branches down - I usually like them around 4-6 ft tall.

GF

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

Heather - I would love a division of japanese anemone "Pamina". I am also interested in Carex "Ice Dance" and semps.

BCGift - I have you down for coreopsis.

Magus - Where did you find seeds for the carnivorous plants and are they difficult to start? I am hoping to create a couple of bog gardens in containers similar to the ones at Van Dusen.

(Does anyone have carniverous plants for trade this fall?)

• magus
    18 years ago

WCG: Drosera capensis and Sarracenia purpurea I got in a trade (and more D. capensis seeds from a plant I bought that flowered). Ten of the rest I bought from e-bay (Byblis, three droseras, dionaea, one source of the darlingtonia, one of the pinguiculas, the utricularia, and two sarracenias), and the remainder were from NARGS (including more darlingtonia) and the local rock garden society.

By the way, I goofed. It's Byblis filifolia, not filiformis. And I think all the droseras, except one or two, would not survive here outside. The sarrs I believe will, the dionaea will, the byblis is naturally an annual, the pinguiculas and utricularia will, and the darlingtonia is a native of Northern California to Oregon, with a very restricted zone range of... Zone 8 only! They are supposedly very fussy about the water conditions, but they are very spectacular. I wonder how the zones work with containers with these plants...

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Magus - I think you should sow them all, cause I would like some as well. I've bought some and traded some but they are a little fussy and none survived.

• Helen_vancouver
    18 years ago

WCG: Here's what the spotted leaves geranium looks like with flower...

{{gwi:2102403}}

Does anyone has a plant that does well in dry shade and perferably evergreen. Could be a shrub as long as it doesn't get too high. Site faces west.

• karinl
    18 years ago

BCG: the wandering mind; I know it well. How fragrant is my Viburnum? I have no palate and little capacity to appreciate subtle fragrances and flavours and variations therein. I can say that I am able to not only discern but also to enjoy the Viburnum's fragrance, but is it the most fragrant that it could be? No idea.

Helen, I might still have a sprig of Sarcococcus (sweet box). It is a slowly spreading evergreen shrublet, with fragrant flowers in January or so. I just gave a biggish one away to a friend but I noticed a piece managed to stay behind. Several ferns might also meet your needs in that site.

Does anyone have any wooly thyme?

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Helen - I'd be happy to give a home to everything you listed for the "compost" that doesn't have takers, so please bring them along with you.

Karen - I think I have a seedling or two of coneflower (perhaps my purple one) around the garden, I'll try to round them up for you.

WCG - I don't think my dad will be making more stakes, but I have a number of 1+ gallon pots which I can spare. I'd also love a piece of "moonbeam", if you can spare.

Heather_81 - The passiflora caerulea and epimedium rubrum sound nice, as do any of the hardy geraniums which don't sprawl (I like the clumping type). Are they easily started from cuttings? Anything yet on my trade list of interest to you?

• Heather_81
    18 years ago

I'll post more plants to trade next week, but in the meantime I'm interested in some of the following:

Helen: Dahlias #11 & 13

Gardeningfever: blue iris w/ yellow beard

Li: geranium "Winscombe", monarda "Croftway Pink"

Magus: aquilegia "Black Barlow"

BCG: Some semps for you, plus any other trades already agreed on

WCG: "Pamina" plant, "Ice Dance", and some semps

Stargazer: passiflora, epimedium - none of the geraniums mentioned here 'sprawl' but they do clump, and are very easy to root from cuttings. Which ones do you want?

Helen, the geranium picture you posted looks like G x oxonianum "Walter's Gift"

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heather_81 - Thanks, I'd love cuttings of any of the geraniums, but especially the Biokovo. Would you like a geranium "Victor Reiter"?

Anyone else for geranium Victor Reiter"? I saw "Midnight Reiter" in someone's trade list, but don't see it now.

• magus
    18 years ago

BCG: One important thing to remember with them is fresh water. Not tap water. I tried it with my D. capensis, and it started to "burn" within hours. Distilled seems to be okay, which makes it easier. D. capensis seems to take a bit of dryness, but don't keep it dry for too long. There were a few tiny utricularias in the same pot (most of them are tiny little guys), and they seemed to have survived a bit of dryness too (but they went dormant, instead, it seemed). Darlingtonia requires full sun and cold feet, which means running water or cooled with a wee bit of ice - again, no tap water.

But yes, I will try to start all of them. Many of them will require cold stratification (half the droseras, almost all the sarracenias, the dionaea, and the pinguiculas, at least), so they should be ready for the Spring swap if I manage to pull it off. They are all tiny seeds (except the dionaea), so transplanting is going to be fun...

• magus
    18 years ago

Heather, you are welcome to the black barlows.

• barvinok
    18 years ago

Hi everybody!
    I'll be there, will post my haves later. So far have some Begonia Grandis (hardy) and some Primula auricila seedlings.
    WCG-have sarracenia (looks like leucophylla x psittauna) for trade.
    Magus-did we buy seeds from the same guy(rarexotic)? Got 8 out of 10 drosera capensis sproted (6 did not make it after havy rain:((),other droceras, darlingtonia and other seeds did not sproted at all.
    BTW tap water seems to be OK to my plants, I'm just keeping it in a bucket for 2days befor watering.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Hi Anna
    Glad you checked in. Would love a Begonia grandis, and some of your various carnivorous ones.
    I'm planning a boggy area around the pond that I'm going to build as soon as I can get the digging done.

Magus: I was using rain water for the most part.

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

Anna - I would be thrilled to have a trade of your sarracenia - thanks for offering. What can I find for you in return?

I have used tap water in a pinch and so far everything is fine (actually, lately with the dry weather, I have been using tap water a lot.) It is my understanding that the carniverous plants are very sensitive to dissolved minerals. Our water is very soft - mineral free - so perhaps that is why I have gotten away with it.

*yes to everyone who asked for coreopsis.

WCG

Here is a link that might be useful: Carniverous Plant Society

• Heather_81
    18 years ago

Stargazer - would love "Victor Reiter" - I'll start some geranium cuttings for you this weekend

Magus - thank you for the Black Barlows - do you see anything you want from me - I will have more later

Anna - could I have a Begonia Grandis too

I won't have any plants of it to trade, but if anyone would like some lunaria variegata alba seeds they're ripe now.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Stargazer: I am still looking for Midnight Reiter, I have
    Victor Reiter from seed.

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

non-plant garden stuff - i am looking for an old larger bowling ball (the kind you stick your fingers in to throw)

WCG

• magus
    18 years ago

BCG: Hmm... Rain water should be okay. They are quite sensitive to a lot of things, so it's a lot of trial and error (and reading) to get it right.

Barvinok: Welcome back! Yes, I think we did get seeds from the same place. The darlingtonia seeds I got from someone else, though, but I can't remember who. They are supposed to be one of the fussiest of the hardy carnivorous plants.

Heather_81: Thanks I'll have a look and let you know. I'm just in and out tonight, and haven't had time to look at people's lists. If I don't find anything, then don't worry about it. I'm more interested in getting rid of extras I have I don't have room for. :)

• karinl
    18 years ago

A thread for you, WCG:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0822491127119.html?1

Here is a link that might be useful: Bowling balls

• Erka
    18 years ago

Westcoast Garden: I have an old black bowling ball for you - I intended to make a gazing globe but you know how it is - gardening eyes bigger than my time!! I would love a piece of your coreopsis division.

Victor Reiter: I will be digging up this geranium (reddish leaf, slow grower).

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

Yeah - a bowling ball. I plan to mosaic it or cover it with marbles or copper foil. I haven't decided which.

Thanks Erka - now I don't have to go down to LA to pick one up. I will bring you a division of coreopsis.

Hey Karin - I guess I now have to admit that "Garden Junk" is bookmarked right above "Canadian Garden Exchange" and "Wintersowing" in my favourites menu ;-) I have been reading about bowling balls for awhile along with tall towers of glass kitchen items (some of the results are quite spectacular - others...uhm,...not-so-much)

• karinl
    18 years ago

Well I didn't exactly find that thread by hanging out on the landscape design forum... When I found the junk forum I emailed my neighbour, with whom I co-scavenge in local alleys, and said "hey, we're normal!"

But back to plants. Here is a photo of a fern of which I have two babies to offer (Polystichum setiferum plumosum multilobum or something like that - I call it Fluffy for short):

And I also have some little pots of this ground cover, Oxalis oreganum, which flowers white:

{{gwi:2102405}}

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

Karin: I would like to adopt one of Fluffy's puppies - I'll provide a good home.

WCG

• barvinok
    18 years ago

Karin: could I have another baby Fluffy, please? Was it you who I promised Dreopteris Affines cristata the King at spring swap? It's ready to go. Would you like to trade your Oxalis for O. Iron Cross(pink flowers)?

BCG and Heather: yes for Begonias.

Have 1 Hosta Revolution for trade
    Interested in slug resistant really big leaf hosta, no name is OK.

• Helen_vancouver
    18 years ago

Hi Barvinok- I would be interested in Revolution. I have frances williams. interested?

• star_gazer_lily
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heather_81 - Thanks, I would also like some lunaria variegata alba seeds, if you have the chance to collect some. I will prepare a "Victor Reiter" for you, maybe you'll also get one from Erka. :-)

KarinL - The Oxalis oreganum looks lovely, if you have extra, I'd love to find a spot for one. Anything I've listed of interest to you?

I have a buddleia with a deep purple flower, I am reading that it can be propagated by cuttings in summer, although I've never tried it myself. Any interest?

• karinl
    18 years ago

WCG - Fluffy for the black currant, then? A deal.

barvinok - a pleasant surprise that you have a Cristata The King already - I thought that might take years. Fluffy in exchange is perfect. And I would certainly trade Oxalis for Oxalis; in fact I will owe you at least two of mine for one of yours since yours is nicer!

Lily, I haven't read all the listings yet in detail but you are welcome to an oxalis.

Regarding the Oxalis, I hope I did make it clear that this is a ground cover (spreading) plant. It is not hard to remove if it oversteps its boundaries, and performs remarkably well even in really dreadful conditions (like under stairs or similar - dry shade).

I also have one Geranium renardii available. Nice fuzzy leaves, doesn't bloom much and quite subtle when it does.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Anna: if anymore 'The King' ferns come available, I'd love
    one as well.

I have lots of sisyrinchium babies, both blue and yellow,
    if anyone's interested.

• barvinok
    18 years ago

Helen-yes, Revolution for Frances Williams sounds good.

BCG: I'm sorry I had only one The King but will divide in early spring and will give you then.

• karinl
    18 years ago

Sorry my 'have' list is coming out in dribs and drabs, but I just noticed that in addition to the Geranium renardii, I also have a pot of Geranium x cantabrigiense Karmina which blooms quite a lipstick pink (depending on what shade of lipstick you wear, of course!) It is a cousin of Biokovo, very similar in terms of plant size, habit, and leaf shape. I can dig more Karmina up, but I have this one pot sitting there needing a home.

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

Helen or anyone else,
    Does anyone want a Romantica rose, Guy de Maupaussant? It's growth habit is floribunda like but the flower is pretty packed with petals in an OGR-like. I have 2 so would like move one out to make space for something else.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

GF: Can I try the Romantica please ?

Anna: No problem, I'm patient.

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

Sure bcgift, Guy is yours.

• Erka
    18 years ago

Is it too early to dig up dahlias? If not, I will be digging up a large clump of Pat Feary to pass around. Here is a link.

http://www.ferncliffgardens.com/images/the rest/PatFearney.jpg

• Westcoastgarden
    18 years ago

Hi Erka,

I am interested in a piece of Pat Feary. Would you be interested in "Autumn Fairy" Dahlia in return.
    The picture in the link below is accurate for shape and size but the colour is a little off. The blooms are a clearer, deeper apricot with yellow contrast.

WCG

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Fairy Dahlia

• Helen_vancouver
    18 years ago

Hi Erka,

Would you like any of mine dahlia for yours? I am only digging the one people request since everything is still in full bloom. LMK if you're interested.

Helen

• Erka
    18 years ago

Westcoast: I love to have a tuber of Autumn Fairy.

Helen: If you are digging up No 11, I would love to have a tuber - if not, I can wait until spring.

I will bring extra tubers for anyone who might be interested.

• barvinok
    18 years ago

Have Sprekelia formosissima 2 bulbs and peruvian daffodil (Hymenocallis narcissiflora) small bulb- would like amarilis bulb.

Also have Gunera manicata(last year seedling, 6-7" leaves) and couple Phlox subulata cuttings- still small but well rooted.

Anna

• Helen_vancouver
    18 years ago

Erka: no problem. I'll bring a tuber of #11 for you.

Does anyone want a hardy fushia? Any newbie interested? I don't want anything in return, though I have to tell you that it hasn't bloom for me in 2 years now.

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

More items added to list:

Yucca babies
    Dianthus - brilliancy
    geum - orange single
    thyme 'caraway'
    variegated rockcress
    euonymus - wintercreeper
    Laurel shurb - about 2-3 ft tall
    yucca babies
    lily of the valley
    'Kwanso' daylilies

JJ: Did that Yucca grow for you from this Spring? If not I have babies coming up from the same spot. Want some more?

• gardening_fever
    18 years ago

forgot - I also have seeds I can pluck from my (darn spiky)eryngium if anyone is interested. I could try to find some baby seedlings if someone prefers but I know they really don't like to be moved.

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

Hello all. It sounds like the swap is near my work but I don't know if I will be working that day, a big commute .

I am still taking orange day lilly donations for my erosion control project. Thanks again to everyone for the assortment of daylillies last swap.

Helen are they still available?

I am planning to update my trade list but the following are the basics:

~8 phgelius divisions
    1 azalea division
    1 acanthus, bear's breeches
    2 or 3 grapes rooted cuttings
    1 acanthus
    no doubt lots of feverfew and meadows rue:)
    lots of godetia seed pods
    hops vine cuttings to try

I hope to post a pic of my assorted dahlias which I dont think I will have dug up by the 25th, but willing to negotiate for later.

Also Karin Litzcke, I am interested in the dutchmans pipe and nectaroscodum, for which I believe I owe you phygelius.

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

Hi gardening fever do you still have the fig tree available?
    I can take it off your hands if you need.

Wife and I noticed it is a Sunday and hope to go for a drive and meet people to swap plants with if weather etc permits.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Hi VM
    Glad you decided to try and come.
    Is your Azalea fragrant by any chance and what color is
    your meadowrue ?

• vmarcos68
    18 years ago

The meadow rue has kind of pink pollen bristles I think.
    The azalea is a variety that gets large in time, has red blooms but dont recall a fragrance. I did notice that it tends to get little waxy clumps after it has bloomed.

I also have lots of japanese anemone, which has grape like leaves, and various viburnums available for cuttings.

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

VM: Would like the meadow rue please. I have 1 Meconopsis nepalense for you IF I can keep it alive till trade day.
    If there's anything else you want, I'd like to try your
    honey as well.

• Helen_vancouver
    18 years ago

VM: Yes, I still have lots of orange daylilies. Will bring those for you. May I have your Japanese anemone please? What color are they?

Here are more plants waiting to be adopted...

Jerusalem artichokes
    sweet woodruff
    Rose Buff Beauty
    hardy fushia
    pink rose companion

• karinl
    18 years ago

I have a well-rooted cutting of a pink buddleia, if anyone is interested. The parent shrub is quite lovely, blooming in only half sun, or even less.

VM, that's a deal.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions