SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Spruce Recommendation?

thisismelissa
12 years ago

BACKSTORY (fast forward to the question below if you dislike verbose backstories!):

Well, you may remember my post a few weeks ago asking for an ID on a Black Hills Spruce. Thank you all who helped me zero in on this ID. My next door neighbor (an original owner) confirmed that she remembered the previous owners putting in Black Hills. These are putting on growth super fast.... new growth being nearly a foot in all directions.

We're constantly correcting the previous owners landscape mistakes. We have 2 of these trees in our backyard. The left one is in too much shade (mostly by trees owned by neighbors) and is getting ugly on the inside of the tree. So, I did get hubby's ok to take this one out by next spring. This will be replaced with a shrub that can handle part shade.

The one on the right is quickly outgrowing its spot.

Hubby will not let me expand the boundaries of the garden that it's now coming out of. He said he didn't think the tree was growing this fast and didn't recall that just 2 years ago, it had 18" of space between it and the edge of the border. I'll had to show him pics!

So, in the short term (this week), I'll probably limb up this tree so you can mow the border around it. In the long term (within a year or two), we'll have to look to replace it.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

The bed is about 12-15 feet wide. What kind of options do we have for a replacement? I guess I'd want it to stay smallish like that for at least 10-15 years. I was kinda thinking about a Colorado Blue Spruce? The neighbors have them and they do look lovely.

Last month, I saw Picea mariana 'Golden' (Golden Black Spruce) at a nursery and really like it. The tag said slow growing, 10-15' wide. Is that what is pictured below:

TIA,

Melissa

Comments (16)