SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

What's a better choice - blue spruce or norway spruce

lkplatow
15 years ago

Last year, a 5000 sq ft house was built on the lot right behind our house. I'd like to plant a privacy screen and was talking with my landscaper this weekend. He suggested Norway spruce as a good choice - he said in our area (zone 6-PA) they are the most disease and bug resistant and will give me fairly fast growth. I asked him about blue spruce and he said he would avoid them as they are more prone to disease.

I'm a little concerned about the norway spruce because I believe they can get huge, right? Ideally, I'd like whatever I plant to top out around 40ft max, so it screens the house without taking away the view overtop of the house (we can see a ridgeline and it's really pretty).

As I drive around, it seems that there are plenty of very healthy looking blue spruces around here and that they seem to stay smaller and fuller than the Norways. I don't know how fast they grow compared to norways or how prone they are to disease but I do like the fact that they don't seem to get toweringly huge.

The landscaper also showed me a serbian spuce, which he said was a cross between a hemlock and a blue spruce. Again, he said the norway spruce would be more robust.

I'm a little concerned about any of these because we have some trees that were planted by the previous owner - not sure what they are - some tree guys have told me spruce while others tell me they're douglas firs. Anyhow, these trees are looking beyond sad - they've got needles on about the outer 8" of the branches and the whole inside of the tree is bare. One tree guy said they had mites and I know I don't want to be using systemic nasty chemicals on a regular basis. So whatever I plant will hopefully stay looking better than my current evergreens!

Anyhow, I'd love to get your advice as to which would be a better tree to plant (or if there's something else you could suggest). Our site is a windy hillside, so the landscaper told me Leylands are out because they can't take the wind. All the hemlocks around here are dying from some adelgid (?) bug, so hemlocks are out. And I'm not a big fan of arborvitate - they are every 3 feet around here and most of them seem half dead. I saw some green giants at the nursery that looked ok, but I'd rather have something that grows fuller, not so tall and skinny. Deer pass by the spot on a regular basis and I'm sure they'll try to munch this winter, so something deer don't like would also be great.

We've got room to play with for the screen - I can probably allow for 30-40ft for the width of the fullgrown tree row.

Thanks so much!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths