SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan_gardener_2010

Recommended container size for 3.6 gal. Dwarf Alberta Spruce

joan_gardener_2010
13 years ago

I have three Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees that I want to plant in containers on my deck. They are in 3.6 gallon Monrovia pots. I want to re-pot them in larger containers that will hold up to year-round weather (zone 6) and look attractive on our deck. The nursery said the bigger the container the better. I found attractive containers made of man-made material that are light weight, have the appearance of stone yet are year-round weather-proof at Home Depot. The containers are 18" wide by 17" high. The 3.6 gallon pot fit inside them with about 3" of extra space around and below. If we removed the spruce from their Monrovia pots and planted them in good potting soil in the containers would they be able to thrive for several years or will we need to re-pot in a year or two? We live in Plymouth, MA near Cape Cod. Our deck faces east, gets morning sun that lasts until mid-afternoon. It can be windy. The nursery recommeded Alberta Spruce as the best container plant for our location and climate. I'd appreciate hearing the correct container size and the type of potting material for use with 3.6 gallon-size Dwarf Alberta Spruce. Thank you.

Comments (2)