SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garen59

Look what you made me do to my yard (lots of pics)

Garen Rees
11 years ago

Thanks Gardenweb conifer forum community!

My yard use to be covered black walnut, thorny locust, and hedge apple trees. Now I've started replacing them with little growing pieces of art.

My yard the way it looked 2009 before I started lurking on the forums

My yard after I bought a chainsaw and the conifer bug began invading my brain.

The next pictures are all taken at various times this year

Top Bed

Right corner

Giant shade screen for Picea orientalis 'Skylands' - My big purchase this year!

I got tired and haven't finished the rocks yet. Every time I go to plant something I usually end up digging out a huge rock. Lots of work rolling those things around by yourself. I have my little 105 lb wife help me with the giant ones.

Now for a few close ups of most of the little guys.

Abies koreana 'Silver Show'

Picea orientalis 'Skylands' with Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' to the left. I can't wait for these two to be large trees.

Pinus parviflora 'Tanima-no-yuki' - She was just one little tuft of needles but grew 3 inches this year.

Picea glauca 'Pixie Dust', Picea glauca 'Sander's Blue', Picea abies 'Little Gem' back left, Juniperus conferta 'Blue Pacific' back right

Pinus parviflora 'Aoi'

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' - Insanely bright yellow. I have had to shade him recently as he was burning quite a bit =( He will recover as he was burnt last year too. I just hope he gets established enough next year so that he doesn't burn anymore. Oh, Picea pungens 'The Blues' top the right

{{gwi:600501}}

Larix kaempferi 'Pendula' - Just a withered stick when planted last year and now growing like crazy. so much new growth!

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melody' - Still recovering from being peed on by my dogs last year. I had to remove all the lower limbs that turned black. Wasn't a good look

Pinus mugo 'Short Needle' - A miniature mugo

Abies procera 'Blaue Hexe' - I hope this one does okay. It was pretty sad looking when I received it and is crazy slow to push.

Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann'

Picea omorika 'Pimiko'

Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'

Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem'

Pinus Sylvestris 'Gold Coin' - Summer color. The winter color is blazing bright yellow

Pinus parviflora 'Fukai' and Rhododendron 'Impeditum' a mini Rhodo to the left

Abies balsamea 'Eugene Gold'

Taxus cuspidata 'Drwarf Bright Gold'

Pinus mugo 'Carstens' - Can't wait to see it's winter yellow.

My favorite little dog and best friend, Dingo, in his favorite spot in between Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' and Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead'

Tsuga mertensiana 'Bumps's Blue' - Kind of disappointed that it only grew one inch this year. I thought it would grow 4-6 inches a year. I may have to move it to a mini location if it keeps up this tiny growth. Anyone have experience with this one?

Abies concolor 'Archer's Dwarf', Thuja occidentalis 'Congabe' Fire Chief ™ back left.

Psuedodotsuga menziesii 'Graceful Grace'

Picea abies 'Summer Daze' - Takes full blistering sun like a champ.

{{gwi:698427}}

Salix boydii 'Boyd's Willow' - A miniature willow that naturally grows like a bonsai with soft grey blue foliage.

Acer palmatum 'Aka Shigitatsu Sawa' - Great Spring color that deserved a close up.

Well that was most of them. Sorry for the giant picture overload. =)

Comments (22)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm