SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairysoapgirl

New seedling bed progress (photos)

fairysoapgirl
15 years ago

Well, I have been hybridizing and buying seed with no particular place to plant the resulting seedlings... not the smartest plan, but it did motivate me to create a solution. I had my seedlings from '08 in pots, and they seemed to be doing pretty well. But with over 100 seedlings, that would be one ~*BIG*~ pot ghetto.

So, I decided to rip out Asian Jasmine in one of my beds. Just green ground cover, right? It is a prime location for exposure here in Texas too. Raised bed, on the East side of the house (meaning afternoon shade in the summer blaze).

I knew ripping out the Jasmine wasn't going to be easy, but boy oh boy... I needed electric tools PLUS my shovel!!!

Before

{{gwi:691932}}

Now, I am still not completely done... I need to pull out a little more jasmine and then edge it in. I still have a few pots left, so I am hoping that another few feet will fit the rest of them. I put a few Zinnias in front to see how they would do...

{{gwi:691933}}

The big bare spot to the right is actually planted with Dahlias. My first attempt.

{{gwi:691934}}

Here are some views of that bed from further back in the yard.

See it way back there on the left?

{{gwi:691935}}

{{gwi:691936}}

Jan, here is another photo of the Spirea - it is really starting to go off now:

{{gwi:691937}}

And just a pretty shot in the garden today...

{{gwi:691938}}

Comments (27)