SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

Columnar Blue Spruce & ? Odd tree & what to do with it? (pics?

Hi everyone,

So this past weekend a friend of mine gave to me the small tree below. It is labeled as a Columnar Blue Spruce. It is obviously a graft. However as you can see this one is an odd one. It appears that the root stock and the graft are growing side by side. (on the same rootstock) So can anyone positively ID the rootstock here? It looks like a Norway Spruce to me, but I'm not 100% certain.

Also, I know that some trees if the rootstock starts to grow you should trim that part off if you want the graft to be successful. On some though you can grow both just fine together. So my question here is does anyone know if this tree will be ok growing both, or should I remove one or the other? As you can see both are healthy and vigorous, though the root stock seems to have a bit more vigor than the grafted blue spruce. What to do? I do like both trees, but honestly if I was going to go with a blue spruce I would probably go with just the standard and not a columnar one. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks very much!

Comments (12)