SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amazon_gw

Your most frightening Garden experience

amazon
17 years ago

I though this could be some interesting stories.

Here's mine;

One morning I came out to the vegtable garden with my two bulldogs, barefoot. I made it about halfway when I stepped on a large black snake we later named angus. I felt him tighten up underfoot and try to slither away. in my infinite grace I screamed and flung my self straight back and flat on my back. Immediatly my everfaithful male bull attacked, the snake struck at him. Then my far more fearless female jumped in and also got tagged. Neither were hurt but both were bleeding. Finally I got myself up but the dogs were already in hot pursuit as they chased the snake down to the shed/creek area.

That snake managed to get the best of all 3 of us that summer morning. i have never agian walked out barefoot without my contacts in.

As far as i know angus still lives in my largest flowerbed that was built behind a 4ft retaining wall. He also frequents the garden. Angus keep the mice and rabitts out of my garden and I keep my feet off his back. Now I know to make some noise when I go to these beds. I'm sure my neighbors thin I'm nut banging a stick on my bed walls hollering go on angus! It's my time to work.

Comments (57)

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Slub, we had wolf spiders is San Diego. Those things get big and they won't back down. Sorry to hear about the squirrel. I like the silly rascals too :-D

spartangardener, I freak when I see ticks. YUCK!!!!!! Is your hand okay?

• flowered-corners
    17 years ago

I promise not to bi**h about the snow anymore. I'll take 42 more inches save from having snakes and spiders. not a prep girl here but don't think i can do snakes or poison spiders.
    never really had a scare, but last spring i was getting our area by the road at work ready to plant, and i kept hearing this faint sound.you know when your just going about your work and stop several times and think was that something or not? turned over some dead foliage and there were 10 little mole/vole babies in a nest. i couldn't kill them they were babies ! so i just got my walkie talkie and called out one of my maintenance team.then i played the God father role " get them out of here, i don't want to know nothing, don't want to talk about it, just take care of it!"

• Related Discussions

Which perennials in your garden are the most well behaved?

Q

Comments (33)
    Reviewing this thread... Tracy, on the platycodon, that comes in pink/blue/white right? If I remember right, that plant had no pests for me, and stayed in one place for quite awhile, not needing to be divided. The staking was the only drawback and if I remember right, didn't someone tell me there is a dwarf version, that doesn't need staking? I did want to mention that it is the campanula family and if you have trouble with groundhogs, woodchucks, these are one of their favorite foods. All of you in areas that don't have the Lily Leaf Beetle are SO lucky. I would grow a whole yard of them if I didn't have them. With peonies in part sun, I am so surprised they bloom there. Wondered if anyone wanted to recommend particular varieties that are their favorites? Also, do I remember right, that Tree Peonies take more shade than herbaceous? I would think a peony is very well behaved. Hardly ever needs dividing, pest free right? Does it need fertilizing? Again, it needs staking right? I put a tomato cage around the only one I have, but it was too small to need it this year. I've had that Silver Mound Artemesia at the edge of a bed and it was very well behaved, didn't reseed or travel, increased slowly. Nice silver accent and very neat. A number of people have recommended grasses. I love grasses, but early on discovered two issues to be careful with. Some grasses are very big reseeders, especially in the warmer zones. Some are runners which would scare me to death in my yard. So I chose to add a clump grass..pennisetum, not known to reseed here in my zone. I have had one in the same location for 7 years that has not reseeded even one little seedling, has been carefree, about 1.5ft high x 2 ft wide. Has been slow to develop that 'dead in the middle' problem. I really enjoy that grass. The only drawback to remember with even the clump grasses, is they are hard to move, so be sure you really like it where you put it. [g] We attempted to dig it up to divide it about 4 years ago, and gave up. I think we will need an ax to get it out of there. Luckily it is in a place that I can keep it for life..lol. Lychnis...tiffy, were you talking about coronaria? I have that plant in a front yard bed and it has been a heavy reseeder for me. Not sure if it is staying. I didn't know it was a butterfly or hummingbird attractor. I will have to keep a look out for them. Oregano...is that a perennial plant or an annual? I have seen some amazing oregano that are very decorative. I do use herbs in pots in the veggie garden area. Which type do you have tiffy? Veronicastrum...is Culver's Root, right? Does that stay in place and/or reseed? How tall does it get and what do you plant it with? Hellebores...jennie...I just added two plants last year and they have been very welcome. Very easy so far, and long bloom time in the spring. Tootswisc....thanks for that link to the Perennial Plant of the Year site. I will have to go back and check it out more. I added the Carl Forester Grass as a link below. :-) Here is a link that might be useful: Carl Forester Grass..Perennial Plant of Year
    ...See More

Poll 'Most invasive plant in your garden'

Q

Comments (152)
    Creeping Charlie or Ground Ivy as we call it, has taken over the back corner of the yard, but it's keeping all the other weeds down and it does smell good when it's cut. But as for all time invasive, there are two plants that I didn't put in but are a nuisance. The wild Rose of Sharon that spreads everywhere and I spend hours every year pulling it out of the 50 yr old peonies and rose bush. There must be thousands of seedlings in the grass. Its my neighbors plant and "she likes it." I call it the the Rose of Sharon from Hell. Then there's a second plant that grows to like 7 feet tall that looks like bamboo with trailers underground. They're impossible to pull out and break at the sections. I have yet to discover what they are.
    ...See More

Mid-Atlantic gardeners -your experience with these roses pls?

Q

Comments (5)
    Have similar comments to Lori about Oklahoma and GT. I am spraying my GT now (exception is this year and everything is a mess)and it became really big bush. As soon as you stop spraying it looses 50-70% its leaves. William R Smith is similar in this respect. Also 50-70% defoliation and wants to be really big, if sprayed. Beautiful flowers. Baronne Henriette de Snoy was not hardy for me. I lost it during its second winter, which wasn't even too cold. This one also balled and got more BS then GT and WRS. I don't have percsonal experience with Cl Devoniensis, but my friend grows it here. It does get significant BS. Olga
    ...See More

What was your best garden experience...

Q

Comments (23)
    I have made so many mistakes, and have so many many questions that it's really nice to have an enty in this category. I have a tree that is going to eat the neighborhood! It is an Acacia Saligna - planted where the Salicina had it's demise. I made sure to water properly and apparently the roots have taken hold as it has held it's own in the latest winds. It is 2 years old, and I can't get it to stop growing! About 15 feet tall and wide (at least). I know that you are only supposed to prune 1/4 of the growth annually, but I have had to do that 4 times this summer. Are you are all thinking that I am probably watering too much? The truth is, it gets water only about every 3-4 weeks for 4 - 5 hours on the drip. It has shaded my porch from the afternoon sun, so now maybe I can plant something there and it won't get cooked.
    ...See More
  • newskye
    17 years ago

OMG what you poor gardeners have to deal with! Snakes! Poisonous spiders! I am a horrible coward and I don't know if I could BE a gardener if I had to contend with those types of things. I've never encountered anything like that. The occasional biting ant... once in a while the icky sensation of reaching into my soil and accidentally putting my fingers through the soft squish of a slug's body. And once, shortly after I moved to this house, my mom (dour and disapproving) came to visit and found a syringe in my front garden hedge! Never before, never since, and of course she had to be the one to come across that... it didn't exactly improve her ratings of my new home and neighborhood!

• balsam
    17 years ago

Well, I do get snakes (garter, etc.) but the non-poisonous kinds, mice, squirrells, and spiders. I don't like the little "fright" I get when I first see a snake or big spider near my hand or foot, but I'd have to say the scariest (or at least creepiest) garden experience was the day I looked up from weeding to see a coyote casually strolling through the backyard watching me! I ran for my kids. Not that the coyotes here would likely attack a person (they are well fed on deer and rabbits), but it certainly was unnerving to realize I was being watched and my kids were playing in the yard!

• lavendrfem
    17 years ago

Wow, I feel sorry for all of you guys. I don't have anything like that where I live. The most frigtening experience I had at this new house was watching two of my favorite rose bushes succomb to black spot! When I lived in Danbury though, a coyote frequented our condo development and I saw him as I was walking my dog. I was very frightened, but he never approached. I calmly walked away. He was injured and the board told people not to leave their small children unattended.

• libbyshome
    17 years ago

I was at the back of my property, checking a cold compost pile. Suddenly, I head loud noises from a house next door.
    I turned and froze. There was a swat team surrounding the house, guns drawn. Shouts, the door broken with a battering ram, police running into and out of the house.
    Shots fired. Glass breaking. All the while I stood in the middle of the compost clutching a gardening fork.

First thought..this can't be happening
    Second thought....surely they would have warned me
    Third thought.....Should I get down?
    Fourth thought (like a lightbulb turning on)... the house
    was empty, due for demolition and the police were using it
    for a training exercise.
    Whew.
    My heart was pounding and I found I had a whole lot of engery to dig into the compost heap.

One other time. An unban cougar sighting. Not unheard of here.

Oh, my. I just scared myself again.

Libby

• amazon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Angus is a black snake last year he was about 5ft long. He may be a King snake they look so much alike I can't tell the diffrence.
    i live in the Ozarks so we get all kinds of armadillo's (did you know they carry leporsy?), possums are just huge rats in my opionon, nasty critters, I always have groundhogs around, armadillos, coyotes, stray cats and dogs.
    Sounds like a white trash zoo dosn't it? lol
    The possums are definitly the worst. yuck Of course if my dogs kill anyone of the wild critters around they proudly bring it to me so that I know they are protecting the lives of me and my children. haha

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Oh dear. It can be very scary to be surprised by something creepy or crawly. Everyone should try to remember though that while these creatures may be scary to us, they play an important role in our ecosystems and deserve a place here as much as we do (that is my wildlife pitch).

As for a SWAT team, that is another matter entirely! I love your thoughts- especially #4. LOL

• ilsa
    17 years ago

Wow - guess I never realized how fortunate I truly am. The scariest moments in my garden are when that stupid Blabhound (1/2 Lab, 1/2 Bloodhound) of my husbands scares up a rabbit & runs willy-nilly through my gardens. The path of destruction is unbelievable.

Ilsa

• boondoggle
    17 years ago

blabhound! that's funny! ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

My icky-ist garden moment was finding rat poop behind the shed we took down. I once went into our detached garage at night and turned on the light. There was a big ol' rat parked right by the light switch. He jumped and ran, and so did I.

A lot of people don't know this, but LA is swarming with rats! I've seen them hanging around some very respectable homes. They're "fruit rats" or "roof rats". They don't like to be on the ground, but they do like palm trees and citrus, and also those charming Spanish tile roofs you see around here. I see them running on telephone wires at night. I've gotten used to them, but I still say they are "YUCK".

• cziga
    17 years ago

I too am thankful I live in an area that freezes often enough to avoid black widow spiders and rattlesnakes. I don't think I could handle that and I have the utmost respect for those who have the courage to take on a snake with a shovel :)

Up in northern Ontario, you can run into Canadian black bears every once in a while, but not in a garden . . . so again, I consider myself lucky (although those bears are quite frightening).

My most frightening Garden experience was probably last summer. I was trying to replace my tomato stakes with taller stakes as I had several tomato plants who were trying to set a height record. The ground was hard and as I was pushing the stake into the ground, it suddenly broke in half and the top half went into my leg. Right on the inside of my thigh, right close to the major vein that is there. It bled really heavily, like mad, for hours and was pretty scary. Other than a scar, I'm all good and ready to put much taller stakes in at the beginning of this Spring :)

• amazon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not much for killing off wildlife unless it is capable of killing me. Rattlers and Copperheads will die if I spot them. I have to many kids and dogs in my yard playing to allow them to stay.
    I did revenge kill an armadillo once. My bulldog fought it until he died. It was a harrible experience. The armadillo was dying anyway. But we lost our four legged friend and fearless defender that day. If that rat on a half shell had been perfectly healthy I still would have ordered my DH shoot him. Loved that dog.

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Wow- that is awful. I had no idea that armadillos could kill dogs. How horrible. I am so sorry!!

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Not that frightening, but YUK.

I was weeding, reached my hand under a big peony and pulled out some weeds and . . . a dead, rotting mouse! In my bare hands, oh YUKKK!

• amazon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh that is bad. i have found that if I know the critter is there I'm ok. It's when it Surprises me that I make a rear end of myself.
    Apparently armadillos have long claws. it somehow managed to sever a vein or artery in her throat. Really bad experince.

• mora
    17 years ago

bump

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

Ohmygoodness, you are all so brave to be gardening with poisonous snakes and spiders! Aghhhhhhhh!!!

My most frightening garden experience came after my husband and I finished working out there one afternoon. My husband was changing his clothes and just went berserk. Charging around the room, pulling off his clothes, yelling. I really thought he was having some kind of seizure. I was freaking out trying to figure out what was wrong. He was like a madman. Come to find out he had a tick on his hoohoo. That was pretty much the last time he ever set foot in the garden, so I guess it's his most frightening experience too. He had warned me before I married him that he hated the outdoors. I should have listened!
    PattiOh

• angelcub
    17 years ago

"I'm not much for killing off wildlife unless it is capable of killing me. Rattlers and Copperheads will die if I spot them. I have to many kids and dogs in my yard playing to allow them to stay."

Same here. I now have a grand daughter who loves being outside with me, digging in the dirt and dead heading flowers whether they need to be or not. So regardless of the role rattlesnakes play in the ecosystem, they're dead if they show up in or around my place. I have 5 acres and only garden on a small portion of it. I leave the rest to all the wildlife, including the rattlers, but I draw the line when they decide to frolic in my flower beds. Besides, once they find a water source and get comfy, they will stay and BREED! Off with their HEADS, says I!

Now that's not to say I don't squeal and squirm and swear like a pirate when I see one. lol!

Diana

• Steveningen
    17 years ago

This has been a disturbing bit of fun. My little story doesn't begin to compare with some of the Wild Kingdom tales above, but it sure quickened my pulse.

Some of you may remember that last year, during a terrible storm, we found a frightened gray kitten in our backyard. She was found in January on the Epiphany so we named her Piffy (just for the night you understand). We got her fed and warmed up and fixed her a little bed on the back porch. The storm cleared the next morning but she was still in her bed when I left for work. By the time I got home, she had split.

Well late the next day, I spotted her in my flower bed. I tiptoed out there so as not to startle her, calling Piffy, Piffy, Piffy in a soft voice. I got about three feet away from her and up she rears. Not Piffy! It was an adult possum. It clearly felt threatened and contorted it's ugly little snout to make the most awful gack gack gack noise. I jumped 4 feet. It didn't like that either. It waddled off as fast at it could, gacking it's fool head off the entire time. I never thought that I would be scared of a possum, but there you have it.

• ghoghunter
    17 years ago

Good God Steven!!! Whatever happened to playing Possum??? That's what they are supposed to do isn't it??? Roll over and play dead when they are threatened. Well they didn't for me either. I had been saving up rose petals and other flower petals to make potpourri in my garage. I had been putting them into a large brown paper bag and it was in the corner over by my clothes dryer when that was also in the garage. So anyway I was in the garage taking clothes out of the dryer and I heard a tiny little noise from the brown paper shopping bag that held the dried flower petals. I heard just the tiniest rustle. I thought to myself "oh it is probably a tiny mouse living in the bag" So I went over, leaned over the bag and stuck my head down inside to take a look. Well looking right back up at me, right in my face was the large open snout of a huge opossum!!! She was not happy either and growled, and it looked to me like she had about 1000 teeth!!! I'm sure she didn't but at that moment it looked like it!! I ran screaming from the garage and made my DH go get that bag which he gingerly took outside somehow and dumped out. She rolled out of the bag growling and snapping and making that awful noise you described and ambled off into the woods behind the house!!! I never again saved flower petals from the garden for potpourri!!!

• natalie4b
    17 years ago

I was using a blower clearing leaves in someone's yard (I worked for this lady for few years helping her with her garden), and her dog that was outside at the time (I did not know it), jumped at me from behind and bit me in my rear. That was very unexpected and sudden. I had no idea what happened. Many times I was working there alone, and it is a rather secluded and woody area. Frequently I saw deer there, and fox. So, I thought I was being attacked by a wild animal.
    Her dogs were always barking at the sound of a leaf blower. Though they were always inside. Somehow they got away that time, and scared the life out of me.
    Driving back home I had to sit lopsided, sinse half of my...backside felt a bit uncomfortable.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

ROTF Steven!!!!!!! That is too hysterical!!!!

OUCH! Natalie.

• amazon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That must have been a huge bag of potuporri. LOL
    possums are the largest rats ever.

• Annie
    17 years ago

My most frightening Garden Experience was:

Seeing my husband head into my garden with his huge weedwhacker to 'trim the grass'. I run screaming in terror out into the garden to try to stop him and save ten years of hard work!!!

I knew that in the end, I would be facing massive destruction of flowers that had been growing outside the confines of the garden beds or had spilled over into the paths are now toast.
    And the grass in the paths would look like a three-year old's hair after giving himself/herself a hair cut.

I woke up....thank God! I was just having a nightmare...or was it a vision of things to come?
    Pretty scary!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    It can be a bit frightening living out in the country.

Like, having a Copperhead infestation on the property. That was pretty frightening. I have a gun and a sword for dealing with snakes, the kind with and without legs, but it is scary to step on or nearly step on a poisonous snake.
    We have had a few diamondback and prairie rattlesnakes, (coral snakes occassionally), pymgmy rattlers, watermoccassins and other poisonous snakes come on the property, but the copperhead problem was really bad. Out in the wild, I leave them be, but not when they move onto my property and threaten me and my family and my animals. They just had to go!
    They were everywhere! One attacked our "damnation" dog (he was half Dalmation and half Great Dane) - A gigantic
    Dalmation! The copperhead was 4 feet long and as big around as my husband's wrists. It was chasing our dog all over the pen. I ran out to see what he was making such a fuss about and saw that snake chasing my poor dog all. I couldn't believe what I seeing. Never saw a snake do that before and it was huge! I had to pin the snake to the ground with my foot to get the dog by it, as it had him penned up against a big tree and would not let poor Benny get by. I took Benny inside and called the university to see if they wanted it since it was bigger than the world's record of 3 feet, but "No, we already have some copperheads on display....blah, blah, blah". Well, since they were obviously too stupid to listen to a "mere woman', I was forced to just killed it with my DH's sword. What a loss to science!
    A family of copperheads moved in under the chicken house a few years back. Not sure how many but at least four adults. I nearly stepped on two that were locked up mating on the steps into the chicken house. I had gone insdie to check the nests boxes for eggs and turned around to come right back out and there they were on the steps! Man! It scared the heck out of me! They didn't seemed to even be aware of my presence. I jumped over them and ran into the house to get the sword and was able to kill one. The other zipped back under the chicken house. I was able to eventually run them all off by throwing moth balls and mint leaves up underneath the chicken house. Fortunately, two kingsnakes moved onto the property and between them and the chickens, they have pretty much elimintaed the copperhead infestation we had on this hill. (The locals used to call this place "Copperhead hill", they tell ne) Swell!

Last year - the Prairie fires were really scary here in Oklahoma all summer!. I packed up my most prized posessions that I could haul in one trip in case I needed to evacuate with my animals in tow. The grass fires burned all around us for four months, ten fires withine 5 miles of here and 5 within 2 miles of here. I cut back all my bushes and kept the grass very short. Every day I was out watering the yard and praying for rain, but none came. Smoke hung in the air most of the summer.

Recently, an escaped convict in Kansas killed two men and kidnapped a woman. He took her truck and drove south into Oklahoma with her as hostage - he turned up in the woods around here and the police and FBI circled the area looking for him. I was told by authorities to lock all my windows and doors and stay insde. They had found the woman's truck very near here. A police officer in the town where my son lived told him that I was in danger, so he drove over to get me out of here, even if he had to take me kicking and screaming over his shoulder and carry me out! :)
    Helicopters and small planes were circling over and around the house and over in town all day, searching for the guy and his hostage. The local schools were on lock down. A county deputy told us that the escaped convict was finally surrounded about 2-1/2 miles from here and that I was no longer in any danger. (Well, we weren't going to feel safe until they apprehended the guy!). He was threatening to kill the woman. They finally talked him into letting her go. He released her, but then began threatening to go into an attack seige and kill all the police. By later that afternoon, the news reported that he had apparently shot himself. He was hauled out of the woods on a stretcher and life-flown out via helicopter to a hospital. I never heard what happened to him. That day was a bit scary for sure!

Lots of scary things happen out here. Worries my parents all the time. Each one is very frightening when it happens, but I can't say which I would call the MOST frightening.

~ Annie

• DYH
    17 years ago

Watching helplessly as a tree-cutting crew were covered by ground wasps while trying to remove a dead oak for me. :-(

I almost cried for them! Of course, they were very brave and offered to helped me move a mulch pile while they were here. I gave them all of the oak that they wanted. They offered to come back and help me with my garden mulching anytime -- I think the sight of me (50's) sweating in the hot sun was more painful for them than getting stung!

• angelcub
    17 years ago

"I think the sight of me (50's) sweating in the hot sun was more painful for them than getting stung!"

LOL! So we SHOULD let them see us sweat! My son and two of his friends are here right now with a backhoe moving a mountain of dirt. Maybe I better go get the shovel and wheel barrow and sweat a bit. ; )

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Annie, you win! Holy smokes!!!! Maybe I don't a farm after all.

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Annie! That sounds like combat gardening. You seriously win. Out there with your sword, fighting snakes???!! Wow. My cat caught a baby possum that I had to wrestle from its mouth and let go. And two baby squirrels. Those were my most frightening moments. But nothing compares to your crazy stories! SOunds like you are living on the frontier!

• mora
    17 years ago

This post has been so much fun but other than my granddaughter whose appearance in the garden all but makes the flowers run and hide LOL the only thing I can contribute is my neighbours pet which I think is quite lovely but hopefully will keep to the other side of our street.

{{gwi:638846}}

• libbyshome
    17 years ago

Shriek! Screech!.........shudder.

OK. I have to ask. Is that REAL???????

• mora
    17 years ago

Yup, a blonde boa, very real and pretty friendly.M

• slubberdegulion
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous snake! I really like snakes, but J would put a stake in my heart if I ever held one in front of him...sigh. So, two blonde snakes wriggled into a bar...

I retract my earlier post, having read Annie's. I can't top that!

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

At first glance I thought that was a really big squash.

LOL, Kent

• mora
    17 years ago

I should add that the brave girl in the picture is not me! M

• armyyife
    17 years ago

Annie all I can say is YIKES! That is a lot to deal with. In my yard about the scariest are the Black Widows that were everywhere when I first moved in. Luckly I haven't seen any in awhile. Now my girl friend on the other hand deals with the copperheads and keeps a gun to shoot them with as she has 3 little boys running around all the time. She gets a lot of them and she lives just 10 min from me but she also lives backed up to woods.
    Oh wait I do have a scary moment in gardening. One day I was out in my garden and almost stepped on half a dead rat! The back half was gone it must have been eaten by a cat. Pretty disgusting!

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

I had a face-to-face showdown with a raccoon! And he won!

There is a city owned wooded area behind us that has become almost a wild animal refuge in our subdivision. We have seen coyotes, skunks, possums, bobcats, raccoons and various snakes - Water moccassins, copperheads among other wildlife.

One of the most startling encounters I had was when I went out at twilight to turn off the sprinklers. I noticed something out of the corner of my eye ambling towards me. I turned around and came face to face with a raccoon. I expected him to turn around and run away..but he didn't! He stood his ground, as if he expected me to clear out of his way. Which I did, immediately, btw! :-) He startled me with the fact he was totally unafraid of encountering a human.

It should not have startled me the way it did I guess considering how we all share the same turf, but I for sure was not about to challenge him for the right of way!

Marilyn

• crazykwilter
    17 years ago

Steven wrote: "Well late the next day, I spotted her in my flower bed. I tiptoed out there so as not to startle her, calling Piffy, Piffy, Piffy in a soft voice. I got about three feet away from her and up she rears. Not Piffy! It was an adult possum."

When I was a kid, we had the prettiest black and white long haired cat, named Skunk (of all things). One evening, my brother was coming home from working in one of the fields and saw Skunk off in the distance. He called and called to her thinking he'd carry her home, but she didn't come to him. He walks into the kitchen and there's Skunk curled up sleeping in a basket, where she'd been all afternoon!

Needless to say, he was very glad the REAL skunk didn't come up to him.

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Wow-fammsimm. . .
    Have you seen the bobcats and coyotes? Lucky you that you have wildlife so close to you! Here in Urban DC, all I see are HUGE rats and fat squirrels!

• Annie
    17 years ago

Great stories everyone.
    Keep them coming.

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

And the Oscar goes to... Annie! Oh my, Annie, you sound like a true pioneer woman, sword and all!

I can't compete with any of you guys. The worst I've had so far was a tick infestation that drove me, and Timmy, crazy for a whole Summer. That was gross. I've also been startled once when opening the back door to see a snake going by. No idea which type, I grabbed Timmy and shut the door as fast as I could... I guess we both terrified each other... We also get rats as big as rabbits, because our plot is on a hillside slope and there are untended lands just behind us. We have loads of geckos, which I find extremely repulsive, but they are not dangerous, so this doesn't qualify.

Martha, I'm not sure if I could live next door to a person who keeps a pet blonde boa! My goodness!

Eduarda

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

3orangeboys,

I have seen both. There is a small stream and pond in that wooded area, and I have watched a bobcat silently walking the edge of the stream. He never noticed me, that's how intent he was in his tracking. At first I thought it was just an unusual cat, but then I noticed the shape of his face and body, and particularly the fur extending out on either side of his face. I took some mental notes on his appearance so I could try to positively identify him.

I did a little research, and found that bobcats do reside in the area. I called our local Parks Dept. to see if they had had reports of bobcats and coyotes in the area. They confirmed that they do reside in our neighborhood, which didn't really surprise me at that point!

Now, the Coyotes are getting very bold. The Dallas newspaper even published a picture of a coyote, in broad daylight, walking down the middle of a street in a crowded sub-division. The problem right now is that they are attacking pets left outside, particularly cats and small dogs.

I've seen them running in park areas. You can spot them quickly because even though they resemble a German Shepard, coyotes run with their tail between their legs, while a Shepard holds his tail high while running.

You might want to check with your local parks dept. or animal control. You could be surprised what resides near you! :-)

Marilyn

• hipchick
    17 years ago

thankfully, I have never had a truly frightening experience like some of those described here...most of mine are more in the "yuck" catagory.

Like the poor baby bird that met its demise in my pond, which I found in the spring while pulling out leaves with my bare hands- ick. likewise the poor frogs that misjudged spring and got frozen.

the most frightening for me was the trip into the barn, when I thought I saw the neighbors black cat out of the corner of my eye....when I turned around fully I was able to appreciate the white stripe better LOL
    Thankfully I stifled the scream while the little guy scurried away!

I am suprised so many people hate possums! I think they are the cutest damn things, my mother had one that lived in our garage for years that she would feed - that bugger was bigger than our dog

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

On Mustang island in South TX they have a terrible problem with coyotes. They chased a dog up the stairs to the deck. The lady heard the racket and opened her door to let the dog in. Only to see it grab her cat and drag it crying down the stairs.
    Once, while at the condo, we heards puppies crying and went (in the car) to check and saw a female coyote moving her pups.

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Marilyn C, a beloved gardenweb member who lives on a bayou on the Gulf Coast, rehabs possums.

Marilyn thinks the problems possums have with people not liking them is that they lack star quality or charisma.

You know, that nekkid tail & all...

She says they're very shy & just want peace & quiet.

I've tried to think of a scary experience in the garden, but the closest I could come was the night I was driving home & turned the corner to see about a hunnert firetrucks & county sheriff cars right in front of the house.

Since my street is a *very* long straight shot, I had plenty of opportunity to watch all those flashing lights & panic & worry as I drove...& drove...& drove.

I couldn't get my breath, & I thought my heart was going to burst.

turned out the people on the far corner had a kitchen fire (well, yes, maybe they *did* over-react, but it's a pretty quiet area, & a kitchen fire is big excitement here), & the emergency vehicles had parked all along the road.

went inside, hugged the pets, & considered myself lucky.

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Hey Marilyn,
    How lucky you are to see bobcats. Wow. Yes, indeed coyotes are becoming a huge pest species. Really unfortunate- I work at Defenders of Wildlife, so I am super biased on this stuff, but we have encroached so on habitat and they have been one of the few species to adjust very well to urban living- In rural areas, they have taken over the niche other predators, like wolves, used to occupy. I know people are losing their cats and small dogs to coyotes on a regular basis. Not good, not good at all.
    Next time you see a bobcat, try to snap a photo to share!

Sarah

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

Sarah,

I do have a great deal of sympathy for the wildlife around me. They are being forced into some unnatural, unsafe living conditions and are becoming very conditioned to living around people. I think this is sad.

From my observation, any small patch of trees or brush becomes a wildlife refuge. I work in a busy, urban environment that does have a small (very small!) tract of land with trees and bushes surrounding the building I work in.

I have spotted roadrunners, coyotes and vultures just a matter of yards from one of the busiest expressways in Dallas.

I will try and capture a shot of a bobcat for you, but they are much more elusive than the coyotes.

Marilyn

• ghoghunter
    17 years ago

Actually I do not hate opposums at all. I think they are quite cute but I was so startled when I stuck my head in the bag of flower petals and into the opposums face and I'm sure the opposum was just as frightened as me and that was why she growled and showed me her teeth! I saw a mother opposum with her babies once and they were so cute all tucked inside her pouch! They are our only marsupials I think. The problem is when we come upon each other unawares! So many of the stories involve nasty surprises and that is because we are encroaching on each others territories but what's to give? We have to live somewhere. It's such a complicated problem.

• pacnwgrdngirl
    17 years ago

We lived in the SF Bay Area when I was growing up. (Gorgeous Garter Snakes there! A colorful kind too which are only in SF, they're endangered! We used to see them all the time when I was little, they're so pretty!) Anyway, my mom was tending her artichokes, and later that night, A HUGE black scorpion fell out of her hair!!!! We freaked, she was hysterical, my dad smooshed it, and it didn't sting anyone thank goodness!

In the Santa Cruz Mountains where we had a cabin there were these awful, huge, gross, yellow spotted banana slugs that would hang out in the garden, I think they stung too. They are UC Santa Cruz's Mascot.

Stepping on a snail barefoot. There are tons of them in the Bay Area, along with Black Widows. The Black Widows get huge too! They are so scary looking, all shiny & black with the red violin on their back! We did have Praying Mantis' though, they were so cool looking, and were great to keep on the Rose Bushes to eat all the aphids.

I moved to Washington two years ago, and I have never had such a Garden Enemy as the slugs we have here. They are horrible! It is amazing how much defoliation can occur in one night from these things! They are all different colors, black, brown, spotted, they are hairy, and some look like they have armour on. I hate them! During the growing season I do, "Slug Patrol," every night. I fill a large baggie almost every night with them. It's fun to pour salt in the baggie and watch them melt. They are disgusting!!!!!! I hate them!

Here is a link that might be useful: San Francisco Garter Snake

• circa1825
    17 years ago

When we bought our house, one of our least favorite sights on the property was a couple of enormous piles of dirt, sand, rocks, pavement chunks, and other debris. The previous owners had allowed the town to dump it on the property when the road was being repaved. One year, when I was still pretty new to using a tractor, I used my tractor to level the piles so I could plant pumpkins there. As I was driving around levelling the dirt, the left front tractor wheel drove right into a giant hidden hole and the whole rear of the tractor went up in the air, wheels and all. I probably would have fallen off if I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt. I turned off the tractor and had my husband come over and grab my hand so I could jump off without tipping the tractor the rest of the way over. I was shaking so much I could barely walk. I told my husband that it was up to him to get the tractor out of the hole. Ha ha!!

• caroline94535
    17 years ago

Not to be a nosey-parker, but coyotes do not always run with their tails tucked.

I personally love the coyotes, but I live on the prairie where there's lot of room for them to roam and hunt without us encroaching on one another. If they ever got too close to my Harry-Dog, or once I get chickens, I might change my tune.

I love to drive out in the evenings, park, and listen to them "sing."

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County