SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Fuchsias

sierra_z2b
16 years ago

Annette, I wanted to address your comments about fuchsias, but was afraid we might take over the other thread off topic, so I hope you don't mind I started this one.

When I moved here, I was lucky enough to find a nursery that does cuttings and makes up these baskets. They have kept several varieties going for many years. I did a little happy dance the day I found this nursery. They are more like greenhouses than a nursery. They supply all sorts of plants to the other businesses in this area....as well as let us go in and buy directly from them. So I am supporting them keeping these varieties going. I believe they do bring in new stock occassionally, as I have found some different ones there.

I have tried to overwinter fuchsias in the house.....but they either die or get totally covered in aphids which really makes them look sad in the end. I wish I had a heated greenhouse in the winter....but I don't.

With what I called my fushia tree, a stand that held 6 baskets for many years....I had people stop and ask what they were.....and then go get one from that nursery. Sadly these people don't take the time to look after them properly. I have seen many of these beautiful baskets right out in the sun.....drooping and looking so sad. I've also seen neighbours here see my fushias out on the stand in early spring....and do the same....buy theirs and put it outside. Of course I bring all of mine indoors at night....they miss that part. Usually within a week or so theirs is black from frost. Then these fuchsias are planted in peatmoss, so they dry out quickly. So they need to be soaked from the bottom several times a week.....these people also don't do that...and end up with drooping sad, yellow planters that they don't like...so they end up tossed. I just feel so bad when I see all these things happen. I personally feel bad when at the end of the season, I have to toss them out....but like I said, I am supporting the nursery that is keeping them going. Another thing that I always do when I buy them is re-pot them into the next size planter....and put some promix to fill the planter....this holds water a bit better than the peat that they are planted it. These baskets I call my babies...they are pretty much the only plants or planters that get all this babying and time from me. I think you are right, most people don't want to fuss with them...but as you know it really is worth it. The hummingbirds just love them.

I also buy as many different kinds of small 2 inch pots as they have in the spring. This is their late cuttings.....I put these in my planters with other plants. If they are bigger plants in these 2 inch pots...I will usually take cuttings myself.

My fushia tree stand has changed now it is long instead of all bunched together...so you can actually see individual hanging baskets.

Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine having as many as you do. I found a book on fuchsias and have read it cover to cover several times. I have never seen most of these varieties that are listed. One of my favourites is Gartenmeister, an up right type. I can find this one once in a while here.

So now I have a question. Do you grow 'marshmellow'? Or marshmellow types? What is the deal with this one. I can't keep this one looking strong and healthy for a whole season. I treat it the same way as the others...but it ends up looking weak and sad. I have tried all sorts of things with them......but nothing seems to work. So now I avoid this one. The one that they had labeled marshmellow the last 2 or 3 years....appears to be something a bit different...So I am not sure what it is exactly.

Whoops my post ended up really long too. LOL!

Sierra

Comments (8)

Sponsored