SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tugbrethil

Daylilies for really extreme heat?

tugbrethil
14 years ago

I looked at shive's June post and found it intriguing. Some 25 years ago, Daylilies were not really common here in the Valley of the Sun, but some worked reasonably well, and one shopping center tried them in their landscaping. Then the urban heat island effect and global warming took over, and Daylilies gradually left the garden scene in the central Valley. On the other hand, they never really had champions here, to keep up with the latest breeding developments, and most growers aren't really concerned with serious heat tolerance--I suspect that most think of them as absolutely bulletproof as far as heat is concerned.

I copied down all of shive's winner's, and will investigate them, but our level of heat is at least an order of magnitude greater than hers. Here's our current summer heat situation: we usually have about 180 straight days over 100°, 30-40 days over 110°, and about a week of days over 115°! Night time "lows" over 95° can go on for more than two months in our monsoon season.

I realize that this is probably far beyond the experience of most of you, but any light you can shed on heat tolerance in Daylilies in general, and the most ferociously heat tolerant varieties, would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Kevin : )

Comments (14)