SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stemn

What about extreme heat ?

16 years ago

In Greece (Europe) now we have one of the hotest summer in the last 50-60 years. We were expecting it, according to forecast

advises to the public. From yesterday the temperature is already 86f at night and 106-109 during the day..

It is really outstanding! What can I do to keep them in good condition?

We shall have this horrible heat for the next 8-10 days as they say with one-two little breaks..

Especially I am afraid of a very little one which is seedling and has only the first 2-3 leefs!

Thank you !!

Comments (33)

• 16 years ago

Hi Stemm - I guess it's the year for freaky weather. Give your plumerias shelter from the sun and spray some water on it, like in misting. My greenhouse get to be in the 100s and so I turn the mister on a few minutes. The plumies love it. We in southern California had unseasonally freezing weather and many of us lost quite a few plumerias. It seemed to happen overnight. Good luck Stemm.

Kasie

• 16 years ago

We'd been in the 90's for a while. Thankfully it's cooled down a bit now but my plumies don't seem to mind. I have them somewhat protected from the late afternoon sun. They did suffer quite a few sunburned leaves at the beginning of the season when they first went outside but once acclimated they were fine. I think the little seedling would be more susecptible to the extreme heat and need protection.

Stemm do you have air conditioning? We were in Amsterdam during a freak hot spell a few years ago and it was miserable because nobody had air conditioning. They rarely need it. In the states everyone has a/c. Ours goes on once the outside temps hit 75. lol
    Karyn

• Related Discussions

Extreme Heat, Wilting Leaves, and Overwatering

Q

Comments (6)
    Do a test on one of the movable plants. When the plant is wilting in the sun but the mix still feels moist, move it into the shade for 15 - 30 minutes. If it perks up without water, then clearly the issue is the direct sun...rather than a need for water. I've done this "test" with several friends and family members to convince them not to overwater their plants. We've had four days over 100F (108F on Saturday, 106F on Sunday), and I haven't watered my #5 containers of 5-1-1 since Friday morning when I fertilized. I find that if I keep the containers shaded from that intense mid-afternoon sun, my peppers won't droop. I just angle nursery flats on the southern side of the pots. Josh
    ...See More

SVB ?s and prepping for extreme heat?

Q

Comments (2)
    If everything is well watered then they should be fine. 100 degree temps for weeks are something many of us deal with and summer vegetables tolerate it just fine. Are these in ground or in containers? If containers then some additional water may be needed if the containers are small. But you have several cool weather crops there - lettuce, peas, beets, turnips, radishes and they will be the most intolerant of heat. But if it is just 1 day, no problem. If more then erecting some sort of shade over them or moving them into shade will help. Dave
    ...See More

PeeGee and Extreme Heat?

Q

Comments (7)
    Heavens!! No one was trying to twist your arm....only to let you know that it is possible to grow these in your location. FWIW, there's lots of places in the US where it hits above 100F in summer and these hydrangeas are extremely common across the country. If you don't want to risk it, don't grow it. Comparison of heat zones to USDA hardiness zones are really meaningless - one has nothing to do with the other. They should be used together as a guide (only) as to what should be able to grow successfully in your locations. If PeeGee hydrangeas are listed to heat zone 9, that means they will grow where they receive as much as 120-150 days of temperatures above 86F. Luis, I don't have an answer for you but I do have a theory :-) In areas that have mild winter climates, like zone 8 and above, the focus by nurseries seems to have been on those hydrangeas that are best suited to quite mild climates - macrophyllas, asperas, serratas, etc. Arguably, these species tend to be less sun and heat tolerant than do the paniculatas, yet you see them sold frequently in very hot climates - Texas, SoCal, the southeast. Until just recently, when all the new cultivars began flooding the market, you couldn't find paniculatas in my area either. Now they are sold as frequently as other, less cold hardy species.
    ...See More

extremely hot heat

Q

Comments (3)
    i tried rooting cuttings this year for the 1st time, 3 of them I did exactly as is recommended on this forum and other sites, which was to dip the end into rooting hormone, place into mostly perlite along with a stake for support, and no watering other than occasional spraying of the growth tips The plants were put into a warm spot with some sun, in May. Within about a month some leaf sprouts started to form. By early July, I started watering, fertilizing and treating them like adult plants as soon as the leaves became about 4-5 inches long, and they have been thriving ever since. i think the hot weather is beneficial as warm soil promotes root formation, just be careful of hot sunshine which can burn the plants since they are unable to transpire normally without roots, unless the plants are somewhere consistently humid
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

Hi Stem,

I live in a hot dry desert region and the temperatures are often in that range. Plumeria can take full sun here if they are acclimated, but people provide shade during part of the day so the flowers will last longer. As Karyn pointed out, they can suffer leaf scorch but shouldnÂt suffer permanent damage.

Karyn, I think I was in Amsterdam the same week you were there. The first day was cool and then the temperature went up. I didnÂt pack for hot weather and was miserable.

Philip

• 16 years ago

I forgot to tell you that my plumerias are in pots in a balcony. They have morning sun and shade after the 12.00-12.30 noon.
    But still the atmosphere is so hot that you cannot stand anywhere..
    Last night I spread water in leeves and stemns to give them some breath. I don't know if it's right or not but we 'll see:-) You see we are not in use of these temperatures nor we neither our plants. Tonight (during the day is impossible to get out straight under the sun) I will cover the soil with newspapers as we do for cool nights. Radios and Tv give every since instructions for peope all the time but not for plants:-)
    The last years we all have airconditions in our houses even in the country ones as we cannot stand even the heat of 90-91f !!

• 16 years ago

I live in a hot dry desert region too, and our temperatures are around 115F - for a couple of months. Some plumerias here can take full sun if they are acclimated, but it can scorch the leaves and the flowers don't look at nice.. I keep mine in pots so I can move them around with the seasons. I would just keep them protected from the afternoon sun so they don't burn, but otherwise they will probably won't mind the heat. :)

• 16 years ago

They can take quite a bit of heat but you may get leaf scorch. Try mixing 1 tbsp of epsom salt per gallon of water and using that to water your plants. It helps keep them from scorching. Also keep them well hydrated. I think it is the huge temp swings that causes more problems. As your plants are in pots on a balcony, those pots probably heat up quite a bit. Try feeling the leaves during the hottest part of the day, if they are well hydrated (moist) the leaves should be cool.

kb

• 16 years ago

Hi Karen in Texas
    That was an interesting way to wake up plumies with epsom salts. I copied and pasted it to keep.

Question. How often do you use epsom salts through the year? I just gave some to my plants with the bloom food. so how often do you use it.. never knew.
    Karen B.. From SoCA

• 16 years ago

Karen B. I have been told you can use it each time you water, that of course, involves mixing in buckets (mix with warm water first to disolve) and with over 100 plumies I choose the hose more often than not! I do however, try to mix it in with my feeding and when ever I foliar feed the leaves. Hope this helps/answers your question.
    the other Karen B.!!!

• 16 years ago

Karen B. I use epsom salts on all my plants, including plumies, once a month at the rate of 1 tbls per gallon of water. To save time I add it in during feedings. I use it to help keep foliage green, never knew about using it as a wake-up.
    Karyn

• 16 years ago

Hi Karen from Texas.
    I have tried so hard to keep us seperate in posting..Not realizing at the time our initials are the same too. So try to be Karen B.. you are too..so Karen from Teaxas has a lot of info for all of us to learn.

I read you use epsom salt monthly..you use a tablespoon, I don't like to foilar feed, only have about 20 plumies, so can control them feeding with a full gallon container. I have used a tsp..so need then to increase the amt, Karyn does this too..ok..monthly..wow.

I have to water a lot, our temps will be increasing, in 90's this weekend, very dry temps.
    Karen B in So.CA

• 16 years ago

Karen B. in So.CA
    Isn't it strange to have to KB's. Sorry for the confusion and I don't post often but you will run into me on most forum/boards!

You can actually use 1tbsp to each gallon everytime you water if you wish, or once a month will certainly help boost the plant.

Here on the TX Gulf Coast it is in the mid 90's as well but we have had quite a bit of rain. I need to get out there a fertilize as I am sure it has been washed right out of the pots.
    Happy Growing
    KarenB in So.TX :0)

• 16 years ago

Hi Karen B in Texas.
    It just fine we both can chat, yes on different forums. I became Karen B on here to allow you to come in as Karen in Texas or KB is perfect.... please come in and chat.

.On another forum, I came in as Karen Lea with my middle name, to seperate us. Yes, very odd the last names are B too. Hope we both can enjoy the forums and share and learn.

Thanks on the epsom salts once a month here will be ok.. We are in major drought conditions, haven't had rain for so long..where you are having tons of rain, washes your out..ok..thanks.. hope to see you again. Do come in and post a lot, love to see your "rain drops" envy..ha
    Karen B.. from So. CA.

• 16 years ago

I just saw this thread. I have been using the lazy persons way and just spreading the epsom salt directly on top of the soil around my cuttings and then watering in. I have done this several times now to everyone and have had no problems with this method so far. I am using the really fine ag grade salt that seems to dissolve really quickly though.

• 16 years ago

Hi KB
    now you said every time you watered you use Epsom Salts??? Now isn't that a lot of salt? You get a lot of rain and it washes out..but me in a dry climate, hotter than the dickens now, won't too often burn? Now I did use it yesterday. We have hit some high temps, three didgets.
    Karen B. in So. CA.

• 16 years ago

Karen B. in SC, LOL...

I'm in so cal too and am in three digits also. I use about every 30 days. Have had no sunburn on any plants and they are thriving. Will try and take some pics to post so you can see. I sprinkle about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon depending on pot size in each pot and then water in thoroughly. I now have over 100 plants and it saves me alot of time by doing it this way.

Hope this helps...BTW, I know this is not general plumie care but my night time temps are warm as well. I have been watering in late afternoon so that they have the entire night to recuperate from the days heat. I don't recommend it for everyone, but here in the desert it is working well for me.

Happy 4th everyone

• 16 years ago

If your temps are warm enough, watering in the evening provides nice moist medium for the next day, especially if you don't want to get up early and water in the morning.

kb in S. Texas

• 16 years ago

Hey Mystwitch,

It seems we are everywhere, LOL! Good to see you :) Yes that getting up early is for the birds, LOL! By 7 a.m. here it's already hot and I just don't wanna get up and go out there. What's weird though is that I am happy to be out with my babies from about noon to three or four,..go figure, LOL! I think it's just the getting up early part that I don't like, lol.

Thanks for letting me know about watering at night. Although it is working very well for me, I feel better and not so nervous now that you said what you did as I know you have lots of experience with these wonderful plants.

• 16 years ago

Hi Plumeria stix.
    Are you Karen B in So. Carolina??? fantastic. enough to totaly confuse this forum. love. it. Welll am Karen B. in So. Ca... we got KB in Texas and Karen in So. Carolina. Will work. this is so neat. Just come in that way..welcome.
    Karen B. in very warm and dry So. CA

• 16 years ago

Hey Jerri, yes I lurk on many forums but add my 2 cents when I feel the need. Glad to see you here as well!

kb in S. Texas

• 16 years ago

I think there is a big difference if it is dry or humid. Here is Arizona were I am it is very dry and we now have hot winds.
    If I could I think I would just bring them inside if it is dry. Since I have a few too many I have to deal with them looking a little ratty. Even using Epsom salts, mine will burn and they will fry in the full sun here. Our sun is about as strong as it gets. Many of my friends use misters and some have them under swamp coolers.Most of my plumie friends here grow them under shade cloth.I'm trying trays of water to help kick up the humidity.
    Mickey
    cooking in Arizona

• 16 years ago

lol@cooking in AZ!! Boy can I relate. I keep mine in shade now in Lake Havasu City, AZ because we are hitting up around the 120's and have that horrible hot blow dryer wind half the time now. It literally cooks the young tender growth of some plants. At first when this started happening I thought, "my gawd what did I do now? I thought perhaps I over fertilized or something!" But oh no, that hot wind makes new growth look *freeze dried* and will continue to kill off all the new growth and the sun burns the old leaves and trunks. I have all plumeria and other plants in the shade house now and that's where they are gonna stay until fall. I even had to bring some more tender plants into the house again so now I get to pretend its winter again(sarcastic) grrrr.
    What a challenge it is to live here- gotta rethink this lol!

• 16 years ago

HAve all you guys who are 'cooking' tried watering at night? This seems to have helped mine tremendously, they get a chance to recuperate and soak up some moisture before the heat, sun and wind leeches it all out (which around here can be shortly after you water). As for humiditiy I am setting shallow ( 1- 2" deep but approx 10" diameter) bowls amongst the plumies to try and give them a little humidity. I also try to go out in the morning and water my good old desert dirt around the tables they are sitting on to give them a little more humidity. I am also misting about 8:00 at night and if I get up early enough I mist in the morning as well.

Mine are looking pretty good, very few burned leaves but they are getting dappled light during the heat of the afternoon (they are partially under a fruitless mulberry). Our climate is a big challenge but we get some really awesome looking blooms from our heat! Best of luck to all my desert dweller brethren!!!

If you have tips please post them, I'm always looking for ways to improve the growing conditions in our climate...

• 16 years ago

Whoa- This is getting like. "would the real kb please stand up" Ok, let me see if I have this correct:
    kbcal is Kbauman
    kbtex is mystwitch
    kbscar is plumeriastix
    and KarynMD is not a kb nor a doctor (I know Maryland) but confusing.
    Am I close or 'will the real.......
    Perhaps Karens or like spelling are just attracted to plumies.
    Anyway- regarding epsoms salts, I fill up a trash can with water and let sit overnight (eliminate chlorine) and then put in a shot of superthrive, a couple of shots of seaweed extract and a couple of cups of ES. Mix up and scoop out with watering cans. Once a month. Bill

• 16 years ago

wow Bill you are good!

do you dissolve the ES before you add to your mixture? I find it dissolves well in warm water and does not leave any residue at the bottom of container. Just wondering?

kbTX

• 16 years ago

Oh no Bill, I am Jerri no KB initials here. I saw that post and wasn't sure it was me who was being addressed so I didn't answer about that part. Not sure who that KB is. Maybe we need some middle initials??? LOL

Bill, about epsom salt. If you use the really fine ag grade ES do you need to dissolve first? My plumies are doing wonderfully well and I just put it on top of soil and water in real good. Am I going to have problems down the road? I am having to water almost every day (well night actually) so I can't see it building up with as much water as I'm running through them. I just upped the pot size on quite a few plants and all the roots are nice and white, everyone is healthy and nice and green. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for any help you can be...

Plumeriastix, who is AKA Jerri and not KS, LOL!

• 16 years ago

Hi,
    As a Karen B..I think its funny 3 of us have the same initials, but can be confusing. I will go on as KBauman
    So. CA...Or can confuse more with Karen Lea.
    KB from Texas.. Kb Plumeria stix think So. Carolina.

Ok..ha am signing off as KBauman, So. CA. Karyn is spelled different..thank goodness. ha ha
    Karen Bauman, So. CA.

• 16 years ago

Ok- who is the real kb in South Carolina or is this a confusion with kb in So Cal. Sorry Jerri from Southern California (plumeriastix) who I know so I get the duh award. My brain is too old for this confusion. It would be much nicer if the info page had city and state along with the zone. This would make data and info much more useful since each region has its own unique demands and problems because plumies grow differently in each climate.
    Jerri- on the epsoms salts. sprinkling it on is fine. Just do not do it too often. It is not a fertilizer so it takes quite a load to become a problem. Still, it is best to follow the manufacturers directions. Since you have high evaporation, I would make sure that monthly I let my hose run slowly for a few minutes in each pot to flush out the salts, then add the new fertilizers and salts the next day. I would get a moisture meter to make sure your soil was very dry before watering again (it looks dry but down inside it can still be moist.) I just use the trash can because by the next afternoon I have warm, chlorine free water and I toss in non-fertilizers (ST,seaweed, mycorrhiza fungi, sometimes calcium nitrate.) to make an easy to distibute solution. i could use a concentrated blend and use a hose siphon, which I have, but I like the old fashioned care. Last year, I did a solution of Dr. Earth Bloom in 33 gallons of water but after the recommended wait of 3 days, my downwind neighbors were considering constructing a gallows for me- the smell was like a dairy. Of course, my plants thought it was Dom Perignon. Bill

• 16 years ago

LOL, Bill you are funny and no Duh award for you! It's hard to keep everyone straight on a forum like this so no worries. Thank you for the info on the ES.

All my plants are squished together right now due to space, so it's difficult to reach in and water with any type of a watering can. Now you would think with 1/3 of an acre I wouldn't have a problem, but my 3 dogs and kitty are not sharing very well, LOL.

I am tearing down the south and east sides of my wooden shed and going to put up 6mm polycarbonate panels on those sides as well as make skylights so they get some overhead light. We get heavy north and west winds in the winter so those walls will be plywood which I am going to insulate as well. This time it will NOT blow away and will be 12 x 16 when done, LOL! I guess where I was going with that is that we are going to fence off a little less than half the backyard so my plumies can stretch their legs and leaves next year. We keep constructing tables to put them on to keep the dogs out...maybe I should've gotten butterflies instead, LOL :)

• 16 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Is easy to keep us apart. My user name is KBauman, shows am from So. Ca..come in as Karen B..but can include from So. Ca. Easy to remember me, I bug you and everyone else. ha

When Karen from Texas comes in..says user name from Texas. KB..easy..She has grown plumies for lot of years. now clear as mud? ha..

Plumeriastix works great.
    Karen B..or KBauman from warm So. CA.

• 16 years ago

Glad I checked back in on this strand... I never would have thought of using epsom salt. With our temps up in the 110's right now anything I can do that might help is certainly worth a shot. My plumies have a few burns even being camped out under my tree, so thanks for the tip!

Does anyone else have issues with young birds trying to eat the leaves? I have a couple of juvenile great-tailed grackles that stand on the edge of my pot and jump up and grab the leaves... they've pulled off a couple and chewed on them, and another one has been nibbled down to nothing right on the plant. It's actually a little funny to watch them, but I really don't want them hurting my plumerias. :/

• 16 years ago

could someone tell me the purpose of epson salt.....thanks

• 16 years ago

oorah, I believe it helps with the production of chloraphyl (sp?) and in the hot sunshine helps protect against sunburned leaves.
    kb

• 16 years ago

cboz -

I had a couple of cactus wrens goofing off in mine the other day. Looked like they might have been looking for a new home so I shooed them away. I don't think the birds themselves would have made much trouble but my dogs would have wreaked havoc if they had of seen them first, LOL!

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus