SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wrekkless

Extreme Heat, Wilting Leaves, and Overwatering

10 years ago

Hi All,

Like a lot of others in the West, here in Utah starting in on our 2nd week of daily 100+ temperatures. Yesterday I think we peaked at about 105.

I have moved all my sunloving veggies (toms, peppers, eggplants) in my little patio so they are getting morning sun from about 7 am until 10:30-11:00 am and a bit of filtered sun in the late afternoon and the ones that can tolerate more shade to where they get some morning sun and then filtered afternoon sun. Right now, at almost 10:00 am it is about 85 in the shade and almost 100 in the full sun.

I have all of my veggies in 5-1-1 mix in various size containers. Toms, peppers, and eggplants are minimum 5-gal up to 10.

I'm trying to balance their need with sunlight without them getting fried, which is proving tricky.

They are still setting fruit, which I'm thrilled about, since I didn't know if they would in this heat.

Sticking my finger in the container down to the 2nd knuckle, the container soil is staying moist and cool, which is great, but at the same time, the toms, eggplants and peppers are looking all droopy with sad, wilting leaves from the heat.

My question for you experienced gardners out there is do I water them to help them perk up, even though the soil is moist and cool, or let them perk up on their own as it cools down? My 5-1-1 drains very nicely, with very little, if no, perched water, so would it be possible to overwater them since the soil still seems to be moist?

Any advice would be great appreciated.

Thanks!

Laura

Comments (6)