SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Frequencdy of watering during extreme heat.

orchidnick
15 years ago

This thread refers to bare root plants only and has only minimal application to potted plants.

This year we have had unusual heat in Southern California. I have had unusual amount of free time to spend with my orchids, 90% of which are mounted bare root. As a result of both these factors (Perfect Storm) I watered much more often than ever in the past. Where I used to water twice during really hot days in the past, this year I watered 4, sometimes 5 times a day. About a months ago I noticed unusual thickness of new Cattleya growths.

I therefore continued increased watering frequency, 2 to 3 times during ordinary warm days, 5 times during really hot days. Plants which had established a stable growing pattern over the last few years, sprouted noticeably thicker pbulbs, some 50% thicker.

This could be due to:

Increased watering (Same amount of fertilizer per week)

Increased temp this year

Increased sunlight this year (No June Gloom, the frustrating fog we get near the coast here in June)

What is optimal watering frequency for bare root Cattleyas during hot days? Which factor do you think contributed most to the increase is pbulb diameter?

Nick

Comments (13)