SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
animemom2009

Help Needed with Weeping Norway Spruce

animemom2009
15 years ago

My former boss (she runs a nursery here) gave me a weeping Norway spruce last week to rescue and revive. It did not winter well (out in its 5-gal. container) and it has very few needles left; most of those are brown and ready to fall off. It does have some green needles, though, and a cone, so there is life left in the plant. I want to give the poor little guy a fighting chance, since healthy weeping Norways are so beautiful. I think it's still too early to fertilize (I have Jobe's spikes for evergreens), as it averages about 40 degrees overnight right now. Should I wait to fertilize? I am also wondering if some careful pruning might help. I'd like to see the little spruce put its energy into the few areas where there are signs of life (the green needles) and not waste that energy on long, leggy, floppy branches with brown, lifeless needles. However, I'm concerned that pruning at this time of season might cause more harm than good. Any advice that can help me save this little plant and nurse it back to health would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)