SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Winter losses gallery, 2011

A place to console those who lost great conifers or if you had questions to whether or not you should/can keep your plant alive. Share them here and maybe we'll all feel better knowing it happens to every gardener.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Seattle'. Clear discoloration and defoliation of needles. We've had a record setting wet spring here, so this plant may have struggled with that. It does have lots of big buds all set to open but I don't know if it will survive, or if it will be worth keeping around even if it does survive. Normally a dazzling conifer, a golden-green color most of the year. I was very sad when I discovered this, particularly since I live 5 miles from Seattle.

{{gwi:694267}}

Pinus parviflora 'Hagaromo'. Also a plant I am dismayed to have trouble with. I don't have any ideas why, but about 1/3 of the needles browned up and I'll have to cut out. The plant may be salvagable(if ugly), as the majority of the top is fine. Any ideas? Also a too-much-water issue?

{{gwi:694269}}

Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Top Point'. Frost I am guessing as we had brutal, record cold and record windy conditions early last Winter.

{{gwi:694271}}

Comments (16)