SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Can we discuss Conifer garden soil preparation?

ladylotus
11 years ago

I've mentioned that I am slowly converting a lot of my perennial gardens into conifer gardens. I have very heavy clay soil and used a lot of shredded tree mulch to keep in the moisture and add a little tilth to the soil. In addition, I've used leaves and grass clippings as well.

I no longer want to use the shredded tree mulch on the top layer as it is a pain in the arse when the birds throw it out into the lawn and the mower blades constantly get dull from hitting the mulch.

Therefore, I would like to really work up the soil in my beds after removing my perennials so that I can have some really nice soil for the conifers.

Here is my plan. I will be adding copious amounts of the following:

Leaves
Pine needles
Peat moss
Alfalfa meal
Shredded tree mulch (not on the top layer but mixed within the soil)
Manure

I will dig it all in and allow the soil to rest a bit before planting my conifers.

What do the rest of you do to prepare your gardens for your conifers?

Here is one of the gardens I cleared of debris and as soon as the soil is no longer frozen I will be removing the perennials. I will keep the shrubs and clematis but everything else will be eliminated and I will have to research conifers that can handle a little snow load from the driveway.

Sorry I do not know how to rotate the photo and the forum has really changed in the way I upload photos???

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting