SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

Frank Smith at RADS Dinner last Sat

gonegardening
17 years ago

Last Sat I drove down to Richmond to attend the above dinner. It was at the Omni Hotel (very nice) and at each of our place settings was a small gift bag. It contained a small spiral pad and pen...to take notes, I suppose...very handy and very thoughtful!

Anyway, Frank Smith began his presentation with a slide of a daylily that appeared to have a very blue eye (multiple blooms, so very impressive). I am always uncertain if the true color is represented, but, if so, it was quite something. I digress to tell you that he mentioned he has used Elizabeth Salter's daylilies and that he highly recommended them. Said you can pick up some older ones now fairly cheap.

Anyway, most of his slides were unnamed futures. He talked about how he now has 9-10 inch flowers...these are full forms (or whatever they're called), not spiders, etc. One, he jokingly called hubcaps! The petals are like six inches and the sepals are three...hard to imagine,huh...but if you can get down to Mecca next year, you can see these amazing flowers.

He had several from Crazy Ivan. A couple tet conversions he really likes are Tet Connie Burton (said the kids have very wide petals) and Tet Peppermint Delight...for red eyes. There was one he showed (with the red eye) that was an incredible color...you'd have to see it.

John Benz (hope I spelled that right) was mentioned in the same vein as Elizabeth Salter...as good daylilies, not too expensive, to hybridize with for purples, blacks and reds.

A couple of new names I wrote down were Holy Water and Patsy Cline (which I think must be a giant orange one)...also Catnapping...but, I am not sure about that one!

Another thing that caught my ear was he said that Moment in the Sun with pink/lavender daylilies tends to produce muddy colors. Well, guess who has seedlings outside with Chartered Course x MITS and Spring Chorus x MITS!! His advice was to breed seedlings to Michael Miller and the colors clear wonderfully.

As an aside, Michael Miller has been hard for me to find. Since the Michael Miller is a very active member of RADS, I stepped a bit outside my shell and emailed him to ask if he might have some for sale. He didn't, but highly recommended two of his new intros. He was very nice, called me, and I ended up purchasing his last fan of Small World Snow Fox which he says is better than Michael Miller! It didn't hurt to learn that Frank Smith had also bought it...

Okay, that's all I can think of for now...lol!

Comments (5)