SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

help with Dwarf Alberta Spruce (I think that's what it is)

nnmjdklil
10 years ago

Hoping to get some input here. We have this huge tree/shrub thing in the backyard (bought the house last year, didn't plant it ourselves) that we don't particularly love. Well, the whole yard needs a makeover but I'm taking it one little step at a time. Anyway, this thing is big-- maybe 6' tall and all fat and sloppy looking (IMO). It's right by the corner of the pool and takes up too much space for our taste. Hubby wants to remove it but I was wondering if we maybe could prune it some, maybe give it an interesting shape? Not anything crazy like one of those spirals or anything; I'm sure it's much too established to start that at this point, and I don't really love those intricately contrived shapes anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? If it's even possible, and if so-- how I could go about doing it? I'd most like to clear out a foot or 2 of the bottom branches, so I can get under to weed. There is some sort of ivy-ish thing that sprouts up under there and it's impossible to get it all with all those big branches in the way. Then if we could do something interesting in addition, that'd be awesome.

Oh and it's in full sun, at least until about 4:30 in the afternoon come mid-summer. Is that still considered full sun?

Comments (14)