SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwith

Overwintering Potted Dwarf Alberta Spruce

jwith
9 years ago

I just purchased a bunch of potted Dwarf Alberta Spruce 1-4' in size. The ground recently froze and the Albertas which were left outside at the Nursery are frozen in their pots. What is the best way to overwinter these until early March when I get them in the ground?

I purchased some last year with about 50% success. I stored two frozen pots outside all winter, unprotected and in direct sunlight. These obviously died. The others I stored in an unheated attached garage ~40ð temperatures and watered them weekly. I had about 50% success with these, but I think I planted them way too late (May-June).

What is the best way to improve success?

I was thinking a couple of different options:

1. Store the plants under back deck for a few days to slowly accumulate them to warmer weather and then move them into the garage. Then continue to water them all winter until first thaw.

2. Store the plants frozen under back porch and cover to protect from wind and sun until early thaw.

Also, is there a way to protect my existing planted Alberta over the winter? Should I wrap them in burlap to reduce sun and wind damage? I had 10 year old Alberta die last winter do to the harsh conditions.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (2)