SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

re Christmas tree in a pot - it's a Dwarf Alberta Spruce

sunnysideuphill
15 years ago

I took it out of the barn and out of the plastic bags in which it made the move from Lynn MA to NH. I brought it into the garage, which is under the house, and doesn't freeze. There is one small window in the exterior foundation side of the garage, which is the north side, and very little light comes in.

I watered it - and guess that the root ball had not frozen hard in the barn, since water came out the bottom freely after a bit.

IT is in the garage right now, on a warmish day here (mid 30's - with low teens forecast for tomorrow).

It could stay in the garage, but I worry about the low light.

Or it could move upstairs, to the bedroom on the northeast corner of the house. Not in use except as storage, and the upstairs baseboards are all turned off. Although the woodstove on first floor really warms the open spaces on second floor, that room can be kept shut and will stay in low to mid 60's. And it has lots of light.

I'm thinking that room may be the best choice, in order not to freeze the root ball (a risk in the unheated barn - I've lost potted roses to that) and in order not to starve it of light.

I would bring it out and put it on the deck in March (this is a protected space tucked into the L made by living room and bedroom, facing south and west).

More feedback? Thanks.

Comments (6)