SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spotch_gw

Tips on raising a Jean's Dilly alberta spruce dwarf?

spotch
9 years ago

Sorry for all the newbie questions on this, but I did do a bunch of searching but I got some conflicting information and then some questions didn't seem to be answered clearly, so I thought I'd come here...

I recently bought a Jean's Dilly alberta spruce dwarf from a local nursery and I'd really, really like it to live a long healthy life. I live in Columbus Ohio (though not 'downtown'), so I think climate-wise I'm still in a fairly acceptable climate for it. I was originally hoping to be able to keep it inside by a window, at least for a while, but I'm wondering if that would be detrimental to its health (?). Though we have a yard, I at least want to keep it in a pot for a while because it's very possible that we'll be moving in the next 6-18 months and I don't want to plant it until I know we're settled wherever we're going to end up. Would putting it on a non-climate-controlled sun porch (basically outdoors, except with little/no wind and out of the rain thanks to clear glass slats on 3 sides) in a pot be alright? Also, could anyone recommend an ideal pot or style of pot for me to put it in? Right now it's still in the 4"~ plastic pot the nursery sold it in, and I don't even know what websites to look at for good pots, let alone which style/type would be best for my tree. I'm not desperate to keep it small (I assume pot size affects growth rate some?), especially if that involves harming it in any way, but I'm not looking to make it grow as fast as possible either. Small is great, but not at the cost of health or longevity.

Is there anything else I should know or that I'm not even thinking to ask? I would really appreciate any information or tips that anyone wants to offer!

Edit: just so everyone knows, it's already outdoors! (Well, on the sun porch, but really that's pretty darn outdoors other than the less wind and maybe1-3 degrees warmer?). As soon as I got it home and started researching I saw enough to make me think it should be outside, so it didn't spend more than 12 hours or so indoors.

I also forgot the dumbest question I have... How do you know when it's got "enough" water? I know don't soak/waterlog the soil, but where's the line between too wet and too dry? Anyone have tips on that? (I know, terribly stupid question).

This post was edited by spotch on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 22:49

Comments (11)