SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Could this be this years misfit

dcsteg
16 years ago

Our conifer club does an annual order from Stanley every spring. Wanting something different I ordered Pinus thunbergiani. 'Okinakabu'.

Conifer description as follows: New plant from Dave Dewire, a bonsai man for 30 years, Will have new description next year for this cultivar. Plant from Japan as Bonsai.

When our club order came in I alway help to unpack and sort. When I came to the large conifer in the 6 ft. box I was curious so I unpacked first. I couldn't believe how ugly this thing was and wondered who would order such a misfit. It looked like it had been shoved into a corner since birth with bent limbs and a root ball that was tilted in the pot.

After checking the conifer name...yea you guessed it. How could I be so lucky.

When I got this thing home the first thing I did was cut off one of the two identical leaders it had grown about 18 inches from the top. Pondering what to do with this thing I decided to set on it for the time being. After thinking how weird this thing was it might look cool inn a Japanese garden setting. Besides that I kind of like some conifers that grow on an angle and I have several in my garden.

I posted this as I think every plant has value. It didn't get so ugly on its own. It had to have help. We will see where it goes in the next several years. Could be interesting.

Dave

{{gwi:689850}}

{{gwi:689851}}

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH