SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Misfit Black Friday 50%

Darn. Just saw this and ends tonight. Link, HERE

The bigger box using 'selections' is a great deal for first timers.

Can always change it or cancel.

My calendar is set up perfect...next box Dec 9th and the 23rd, just before the holiday.

(twice a month)

Wednesday deliveries with selections at 4pm on the Friday before.

Comments (14)

• annie1992
    3 years ago

I signed up a couple of days ago and got the discount, made my selections today about 4:30. They were already out of a few things, but I'm happy enough, I think. Unfortunately, the selections included two kinds of bok choy, several lettuces and greens, all of which I have in my hoop houses. I did manage to choose celeriac, which I love, and I ordered brussels sprouts as an "add on".

I'll be getting my box next Monday...

Annie

• party_music50
    3 years ago

Annie, I hope you get good stuff! I'm taking a few weeks break, but will start back up again soon. Their lettuces/greens (romaine, kale, etc) are always excellent. So are their lemons/limes and celery. And I love re-using their interesting packing materials. lol!

• Related Discussions

Easybloom Black Friday deal

Q

Comments (1)
    Missed it.
    ...See More

Man crushed at Wal-Mart on Black Friday

Q

Comments (6)
    Bad, intolerable behavior based on the "not Me" or not my responsibility and I agree that tv shows and computer games hone in on behavior that is bratty, sassy to parents, overly sexed material, and downright criminal as in stealing cars. I will have to add that in a mob situation one goes with the flow or would get trampled on also. It was a terrible tragedy and it would have helped, maybe, if a loud speaker had announced that only 10 people would be let in at a time, every 3 minutes. Personally I have never shopped for any Black Friday specials.
    ...See More

Black Friday deals anyone???

Q

Comments (18)
    I went to Hancocks on Weds and got some fleece at a $1.00 more than the BFS price, figured I would just pay a bit extra and not stand in line waiting for cutting. Worked for me and I got what I wanted. But then on Friday afternoon after my post turkey sandwich nap, decided I would just go and see what was happening...great run. Got a 10 yard bolt of wonder under for 7.99! some 2 yd cuts of fleece for $3.99. Very surprised that the special deals were still there. Encouraged by that success proceeded to Lowes, got the 98 cent poinsettas, and $1 plexiglass cuts for the bottom of my purses (as opposed to the $9 ones available) and on to Michaels for $20 rolling scrapbook tote. All in all very successful, didn't have to get up right after midnight, didn't have to stand in line, didn't have to fight for a parking space, and got the bargains I wanted too! Now petalpatsy, are you planning on re-upholstering your new chair with your bargain chenille? if so maybe a psychiatrist could help, if not....I think you are OK! LOL but that's just me....LOL
    ...See More

Black Friday Sale! Books 50% off

Q

Comments (3)
    Well, I ordered 2 books and 2 calendars (one for my mom & one for me). Total only $43! And free shipping since it's over $30. Merry Christmas to me! LOL Donna
    ...See More
  • party_music50
    3 years ago

Has anyone tried their dark roast tahini? I have it in my cart.... just hope it's not the kind of "dark roast" that tastes burnt. :p

And this is the Nth time I've tried to get colored carrots and they've sold out before I was able to commit my selections. lol!

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That seems to be a business that requires a very careful management. It seems that it would be an ever changing situation and staying on top of it and over such a wide area seems almost like a task for Hercules,if he had a computer system.

It sounds almost like a national CSA operation

As with any of these food delivery services that deliver fresh food all wrapped up in packaging, there is a tremendous carbon footprint.

I see that, they too, use those supposedly benign frozen packs just like the Blue Apron does. Those things are horrid to try to dispose of. That slime in there after it has defrosted is not something that I would be inclined to pour down my drain as they suggest with some of them.

My daughter gets those Blue Apron and I find myself emptying scads of those things when I find myself at her house. They just pile up in the back room at her house.

You have to cut them open, drain the slime, rinse and dry the plastic bag before it is even ready for going into the recycling. And, who knows it it ever really is recycled?

I pour the contents out in a remote corner of their big yard and I can tell you that stuff stays there for a long time!

Then of course, there is the fossil fuel of delivering all of that. Goodness knows we are awash in delivery service right now!!!! The amount of recycling cardboard and the land filling styrofoam trash is over whelming our trash pick up. It is an exceptional time right now, for sure.

Real progress in this country comes from not just trying to sell these still good items by shipping them all over the country to people who can afford such, but by a reorganization and a new vision of our food distribution system that keeps some things more locally sourced and distributed, and, in some cases grown locally as well. But, that is a progressive idea and we are not embracing of real progress, only the illusion of it. This is an illusion.

It may bring some joy to your kitchen table, but it is another unsustainable practice of our food distribution system that is heavily weighted towards profit and not human or environmental health, nutrition, hunger, need, or wise use of limited resources. We need a better system. This is not it. This is more of what got us to this sad and dangerous and highly vulnerable situation in the first place.

It may seem worthy, but take a look at it's underside to see what it really is......clever marketing, very clever. What an immense data base it must require to run such a business! If only those folks could turn that same genius towards some real sustainability for something that all life depends on. But, where is the profit in that?

• party_music50
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

wednesday morning, I get everything you say, but I think it's debatable about the carbon footprint. Their mission is to use produce that would otherwise be discarded, and they have very green tendencies. Everything they use in packaging is recyclable, nearly all of it can be composted, they never use plastic, etc. Re fuel consumption, getting a pkg from them means that I don't need to go shopping myself -- where I'd be buying my produce in non-recyclable foam trays that are covered in non-recyclable plastic. Specifically regarding their 'ice packs', I asked and was told they're nothing but sugar-water. I suspect they use guar gum to provide the lovely texture. lol!

ETA: I wouldn't have survived the shutdown without my Misfits orders. Otherwise, I'm probably the most ecologically responsible person you could chance to meet on the street.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@party, is it dark roast or 'black'.?. I did not see it in my marketplace. If I'm unfamiliar with a product I look it up and search for reviews. A good site is iherb.com. They have many reviews if they carry the brand.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

sleeve, it was SoCo Dark Roast Tahini... I did a search and didn't find any reviews, but I did see a product comment that said it's especially good with sweet dips/sauces. That made me decide to remove it from my cart. lol! I found an organic one elsewhere to try that got 5 star reviews. :)

Original Author
    3 years ago

^I've never tried it commercially but have ground black seed. Some recipe called for it so I made my own. It had other ingredients and did not think to try it on its own. All went into the blender together.

@wed morn. You are making assumptions without substance/research. Nothing is wrapped in plastic. (one bag of Brussel sprouts). Snap peas came it thin biodegradable bags. The ice pack says to feed your houseplants. We re-freezer ours for lunches and summer coolers. The insulation is the recycled jeans/cotton. Some have used them to line their chicken laying boxes. I use the cardboard and cotton insulators between my garden beds as mulch.

Bob's Redmill change their entire line of packaging last winter. Misfits took massive amounts of the old packaging. Groceries would not take it.

During the beginning of lockdown, they did have supplier issues so we had a box with foam lining. The Facebook group found so many uses for it...wrapping garage pipes, wrapping seed starting shelves. etc.

It is all organic produce. Smaller organic farmers are not the best businessmen. One article really ripped through the on-line produce delivery services and found this one the best but, and I agree, it is not the solution to our food supply as you mentioned.

Having produce shipped to me is no pat on the back. But it sure did help our shopping this year. Local grass fed farm share/fresh eggs and dairy. (they deliver in fabric insulated bags and take them bake to be cleaned and re-used). A restaurant wholesaler, and Misfits. No bigAG that goes to processing plants, packaged, then to distributors, then to groceries, then shelved. Then we drive sometimes great distances to shop, waiting in long lines. That is a lot of travel for produce/groceries. All the products in grocery stores come in boxes and lots of plastic. I've not had a foam meat tray or clamshell in ages.

Misfits receives direct from farms, on pallets, boxes un-bagged produce, then sends. I use my own washable bags for the fridge after prepping/washing. Pre-covid I would shop every two-3 months, four stops, taking 4-5 hours. DH did the weekly mini shopping stops on his way home. The wholesaler uses a similar system. Not much is bagged. They deliver in trays their produce came it to their warehouse. Re-cycling.

Misfits has been discussed a dozen times on these pages the past year. It is not for everyone. A very small percentage gives a hoot about organic. Cover ears and purchase frozen pizza and processed food. (I'm referring to the general population, not GW forum members). It is a choice that I'm delighted is offered. One frozen pizza, one plastic clamshell, a box of cereal, has more packaging than HelloFresh. Other meal services use less or no plastic.

Misfits right out of the box...no bags

(the brussel sprouts were bagged)...excellent watermelon was an add-on. I wash, then trim the greens cut ends and soak in fresh water an hour or so, then let the heap dry thoroughly. Then bag.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

I've gotten brussel sprouts in bags, and little tomatoes in a clamshell- other than that, no plastic or other packaging in my Misfits boxes either. The boxes I save for larder storage or to use out in the garden for weed-blocker. Been saving up the insulation, got a couple ideas for that stuff.

I did try a couple dinner services this year, and now those have a LOT of packaging.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I did get tomatoes a couple times before 'selection'. They were in cardboard clamshells. I grow so many tomatoes I never order them. Then the weird excessive mushrooms came in three clamshells I did not order at all. (they were on top and I assumed I got another persons box😂) yet all other selections and add-ons were mine. I always give them 9 stars instead of ten. That give me a platform to add some constructive criticism. Always positive.

I grow lemon cukes, thin skinned. Wanted some persians, but they sent zucchini. Oy, when my garden had a boat-load. Happens. Staff may get confused about varieties. Misfits hires local community members near their processing facilities that may not have cars or access to public transportation. Those not easily hired with troubled pasts. Just out of incarceration, etc.

Misfits is a young company and under a microscope. I'll continue being satisfied, but if they go big AG, offering non-organic for further future financial gain....I'm out big time.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

I've only gotten the one clamshell. I also haven't been shopping- I've just been letting them send surprise boxes, though I've done a few add-ons.

Original Author
    3 years ago

^^Brave surprise boxer, 😂😜. ...if I had 5-6 family members of various ages the big box surprise every other week would be good. Too much fruit for the two of us....with many fruit trees on our farm and still bulk in storage... I did select a mango this week, the beauty of getting things we can't grow like avocados. Consistently the best we have ever had. Baby watermelon like no other.

Something off or crapy?...they credit within hours. Want to skip a week or four, easy.

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

Hehehe, just 2 of us, so small box. Been getting it every week, though I skipped Thanksgiving week. I've been enjoying the surprise- I'm treating it like old school days. It's good for keeping me on my toes and out of cooking ruts.

There's been a couple small problems in boxes, but the customer service is excellent and prompt.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Wednesday morning, I stopped the service for a few months during farmer's market season, and when I had my own zone 5 garden going. But with the covid uptick of late, I am glad for fresh produce I don't have to go out for.

I get my small box every other week. And I also order foods from a Massachusetts cooperative venture now, the alternating weeks. Between that and what I've stored, I'm pretty much set and happy.