SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mzetlin

Can this jade be saved?

mzetlin
15 years ago

A few years ago I inherited a huge and thick-trunked very old jade tree. Potted it up, put it in a south facing window, watered it sparingly as I tend to do. Over the years, some branches seemed to wither but there was also always new growth so I didn't realize I had a serious problem until recently.

I realized that over the past few years, the window had been obscured as trees and bushes outside matured. So I've added a grow light to supplement the daylight. Based on what I read here, I also realized that I was having a soil problem: the roots had never grown beyond the original ball, being trapped in some clay-like soil that probably, given the way I water, never got properly saturated.

Anyhow, based on what I read here, I put the plant outside in the rain to get a good soak, then about a week later, repotted it, hosing off all the old clay and putting it in a 50/25/25 potting soil/perlite/vermiculite mix.

I also cut back all the rot and soft areas to healthy tree, but new soft areas keep appearing, and the thick trunk cut areas seem to be getting some kind of mold as well. I think I can--maybe--make one more pruning before I completely kill the tree, if I haven't done that already. Trying to eliminate the soft areas has led me to cut it back pretty brutally. One thing I'm wondering: should I be putting something on the cut surfaces after I cut back?

I'm beginning to think there's no saving this wonderful old thing, which would make me very sad, but I'm still hoping someone who knows these better than I can help.

Best,

Minda

Comments (4)