SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treedazzled

Complete removal of seed coats for prompt germination

TreeDazzled
19 years ago

I've had a lot of trouble with sugar pine seeds. I got my seeds, after a long search, from a certain site that has been banned from mention by GardenWeb. The seeds were sent to me in a packet that was mis-labeled "Queen Anne's Lace" but 15 minutes on the phone straightened this out. They'd sent the correct seeds with the wrong label. Then, my germination rate was rather poor: only two seeds germinated out of about 30 (one without stratification, the other after about four months stratification). In addition, the seeds have a remarkable propensity to grow mold, lots and lots of it, I don't know why. This seems to happen even after a dip in 50% bleach, almost as though the seeds have mold impregnated in them by nature's design.

Finally, though, I found an article on germination of sugar pine seeds in the American Journal of Botany (65:804; I can post the abstract if requested). This article seemed to explain it all: "Complete removal of the seed coats yielded prompt germination without stratification." I just had to remove the seed coats completely! It was a little strange though, this author saw 50% germination after a month's stratification (to my http://www.treedazzled.com/photos/blog_images/.

But, unfortunately, devastatingly, this didn't work!!! I denuded seven seeds, stuck them on coffee filters in plastic bags, and have seen no germination after two weeks (whereas the author of the Am J Botany article saw 100% in a few days). My question is: why? Is the American Journal of Botany article wrong? Has anybody ever heard of removing the seed coat for this or other species, and does it work? Are my seeds bad? Does anybody know of a better source for sugar pine seeds?

Here is a link that might be useful: Removal of seed coat from sugar pine seeds

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County