SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nvhorseman_gw

potted Eureka lemon 'pink'

nvhorseman
12 years ago

I ordered a Eureka lemon and it arrived damaged and went into shock and dropped all its leaves. The tree was approx. 3 ft. tall, not including root ball. I put the broken tree in a well draining citrus mix. The wood remained green but in about 6 weeks small shoots came out of junctures of old limbs and the trunk of the tree. The largest clump of leaves was closest to the graft and soil. Others appeared farther up for a total of 6 very small leaf clumps. The leaves have grown very slowly over 90 days, none larger than a rice grain except for the first large lump with leaves the size of a nickel to a quarter, numbering 5. Each day the leaves start out perky but by mid-day they have wilted. I moved the tree out of the sun for a total of 6 hours of sunlight each day and in the shade the rest of the day. Sunshine for 10-12 hours a day did not improve the wilting for a 30 day test period. The tree is in a clay pot, 18'' in diameter x 26'' deep. I water lightly once a week and use a water meter to make sure the soil is not wet when I water but I never let it dry out completely (never less than two on a 5 meter). I fertilize with a moderate citrus organic fertilizer once a month. The tree is approaching 5 months in my possession. I will move the tree inside the garage to a south facing window when outside temps. get below 40. Is there any reason to worry about the wilting and slow regrow or something special I should do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (4)