SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

time for grafted trees to develop leaders?

spruceman
16 years ago

I just got a grafted Abies nebrodensis from Forest Farm that is almost 4' tall and has been growing as a branch for about seven years since it was grafted. I have it staked very straight now. Is there any chance this tree will never grow as a tree? The thing is very spindly, shows no sign of any vigor, and I wonder if it should have even been sold in its current condition. But I am patient.

I have another tree with the same problem, but it is a much more vigorous tree--it is a Picea orientalis Gowdy. When I bought it at a local nursery I didn't really notice that it had not given up its branch growth habit because it was rather full and had branches growing out from all sides. But after I got it home and planted it I could see that in spite of its general fullness, it was still growing essentially as a branch, and the "leader" wanted to flop to one side (it was staked when I bought it). I have kept it staked carefully, but it shows no sign of wanting to grow erect. This tree has been growing as a branch for at least 7 or 8 years since it was grafted. How long, if ever, will it be before this tree grows as a tree?

I also have two Picea orientalis Nutans trees. These don't look like they are growing as branches, but they are also yet to establish any erect leader. I have kept these staked also. Now these are "nutans" form cultivars, so the "nodding" over is part of their make-up, but they are supposed to grow as erect trees (I saw the trees the scion wood for these was taken from growing beautifully erect) without staking. How long for these to develop a leader?

--Spruce

Comments (10)