SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattioh_gw

What's Happening? June Stuff

PattiOH
16 years ago

Hello All,

June is here at last. Thought I would start a new thread.

My only real news is that I started a new job. I was aiming for something not stressful, but this wonderful position became available and I'm jumping in with both feet. I'm working in a wonderful facility that cares for people with severe mental and physical problems. My job will be to stimulate their minds and bodies with activities and also to help them to cope with the challenges of their day to day lives. The love that comes out of these people is just incredible and I feel truly blessed to have been somehow guided to this work. I have sooooo much to learn it really is overwhelming. I'm trying hard not to lose sleep over it. Patting myself on the back that I had memorized two dozen residents names after two days and that I can now actually find my way from one end of the rabbit-warren-of-a-building to the other.

I'm feeling frustrated that my garden chores are falling by the wayside, but I'm finding new ways every day to make at least a few minutes to get out there and stroll around. So important for our mental health, don't you think? I'm starting to rethink how often I need to change the bed or mop the kitchen floor. lol

I felt sorry that I wasn't able to get in on the nice MAY thread that GGG started. I hope some of you will have time to add to this one.

You are all so dear to me. I do hope all is well with everyone.

Patti

Comments (28)

• armyyife
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Pattioh,
    Sounds like a very rewarding job Patti. I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. These folks sound like they will be in good hands! :O)

Well for me June is our only summer vacation (I homeschool). However it's not our only vacation. Just that here in the good ol' south the summers are so hot and humid that by July the kids play less and less outside and then get bored. So I give them June off and start back up in July giving us more freedom to take off all during those nice days in fall and spring and more weeks when family comes to visit.

So I'm going to visit my sister for a week in Hampton,VA. Plan to go to Bush Gardens, the living museum, air and space museum, and Jamestown. A very busy week!

Then my MIL in coming at the end of June to visit for a week. She lives in Ft Lauderdale, Fl so we only see her about once or twice a year.

I'm very excited that I will be picking up a beautiful outdoor wicker set for our patio by the end of this month (it's on layaway). Right now our patio is a large boring patio. I can't wait to sit out there and relax and watch the garden and chickens and little hummers too! I still need to register for that patio makeover!

My daughters first piano recital is this month so that is very exciting as well (though she is so nervous).

Garden has been slow going lately. So much has been going on that I haven't had the time or money to put into it. I did actually dream (if you can call it that) last night about where I was going to put my little order I placed with BStone. LOL

I guess that is pretty much it aside from the court date with my neighbor over the dog at the end of the month. I am NOT looking forward to that. My dad is a county detective and my best friends DH is a state trooper (both live right here) so I thought about having them come with me in uniform as support and to let this guy know he better behave. At least that is what I'm hoping. Anyway that is about it!

Can't wait to hear what the rest of ya'll are doing! :O)
    Meghan

• memo3
    16 years ago

Congratulations, Patti! What a worthwhile job to have. I have no doubt that you will be very successful in your work.

Meghan, your vacation sounds like it will be packed with fun. I'd love to see the Bush Garden too. Lucky you! Tell your DD I wish her well at her recital!

I haven't done as much as I would like to in the garden this week. We did a lot of running over the holiday weekend which was fun but not too productive. My grandson has been here for two weeks and will be here for one more. I have so much fun with him that it's hard to get any work done. He has his own small sized gardening tools but he always wants to use the "big shovel" etc. so needless to say not much gets done. I had planned to start digging out the area where the patio will go but we've had three inches of rain the past few days so it's a bit too muddy. I have lots of pots to plant up but didn't buy potting soil and had planned to mix my own. I'll have to wait till the garden soil gets a bit drier to do that too. In the mean time I have weeds to pull and a grassy area inside the new fence that I want to get lasagnaed for further planting this fall. I took a break from the quilts to get my vegie garden in but will start back in next week. I've missed sewing but have enjoyed the time to spend in the garden. Iris are just finishing up. Daisys are blooming like crazy. The Johnson's Blue geranium is really blooming beautifully, planted late last summer. I bought a pink one on Tuesday and need to get it in the ground. I have buds on my lupine, BES and Limelight hydrangea, all planted last week. Also buds on one clematis, a few older daylilies and and the lilys that I planted last fall. The Knockouts are really blooming wonderfully.

Winter wheat was a bust. The spring planting of oats came up really good with all the spring rain we've had. The guys started the first cutting on Monday and also started cutting alfalfa. We have to get the corn in as soon as the fields dry out again, then branding, then finish putting in the East pivot that we started on in March. Ohhhh the summer is going to fly by again. It's good to be busy though after a year with no crops because of the drought. I sold my first steer last week. A bottle calf from last year. He sold at $1.44 per pound!! A great price, way up from sales last fall. He was the last mixed calf on the place and brought more than pure Angus, which didn't make Rick too happy. After a 20 year experiment with Angus/Charlais mix we are all angus again. Sadly this last calf was the only one that sold for more than the Angus pures. I took credit for being the one to feed him so well lol!

MeMo

• Related Discussions

What happened in your garden this week, June 26th?

Q

Comments (10)
    weeded, got bit by skeeters, ignored the scary tall grass, got bit by skeeters, put some more dirt/compost on the taters, got threeee big packages of seeeeeds in the mail, took the squirrel barrier screens off the beets & carrots & parsnips because they're getting big enough to fight back, got bit by skeeters, fluffed the compost & used some of it as mulch, planted some coral bell cuttings mom sent, got bit by skeeters, trimmed some of the delphiniums because the wind finished them off & they just might be convinced to bloom again, installed a delightful copper trellis & planted a climbing peace rose, gathered anemone sylvestris seed, said 'hi' to new nasturtium & hollyhock & spider flowers, marveled again & again at the loveliness of cerinthe 'pride of gibraltar,' picked & ate some peas, got bit by skeeters, compiled a $250 martagon lily/heirloom dahlia order online with old house gardens & erased it before i did anything that rash (this whim will be revisited this weekend), patted myself on the back again about the fabulousness & lushness of this year's window boxes, planted some more greens, checked the weather report about every 2 hours ...
    ...See More

what's blooming and what's happening 13 June?

Q

Comments (13)
    Roses and irises and peonies! Oh my! With all that eye candy my eyes would burp if they knew how... The Zephirine Drouhin roses continue to grow up on the porch. They smell wonderful and have almost no thorns (important on a porch). This shot of irises was from a week ago. I like the change in levels - the siberian iris on top of the stone wall and Beverly Sills bearded iris on the bottom, with cotoneaster carpeting the wall. This morning I opened the shades and saw a hummingbird sitting on the Rugosa Yankee Lady. It didn't seem to be getting nectar from the rose, but the feeder is right next to it and the hummingbird was probably resting between snacks. Also in bloom: Dicentras one hellebore geraniums Biokovo and Macrorhizum one daylily Alchemilla Kalmia Leucothoe ajuga (ending) As for what's happening, I had to stake up a Carefree Beauty rose. The rose was stuffed between two big New England asters last year and refused to bloom, so I moved the asters a month or so ago. So now the rose decided to bloom, but to flop all over the irises. I made a tripod out of three 6 ft bamboo poles (on sale for 79c each at Ocean State Job Lot) and tied them together with twine. I then used a cable tie on top of the twine to make it more permanent. (Mindy might be interested). The poles are shoved into the ground a little bit which helps with stability. I don't know how well it will last, but the rose seems happy now. The tripod is lopsided, but I was working in the middle of a planting bed with a panicky rose flailing around (with thorns). Claire
    ...See More

SS Support Mon. June 9th thru Sun. June 15th

Q

Comments (61)
    Happy Father's Day to all...if you still have your Dad enjoy, celebrate and cherish. Jan, I lost my Dad last May and miss him so very, very much. He gave so much great advice to me (and some not so great!) but I think answering the QOD, no matter what problem I went to him with, he would tell me "don't worry about it kid, we'll work it out" and that calmed me and we did always work out out one way or another. Today was a day of running errands. Yesterday was spent with a very dear old friend having lunch and wine at her beautiful home on the bay. We sat outside and enjoyed the weather and the boats going by. She told me not to buy golf clubs until she got her old ones down from the attic. She gave them to me yesterday and now I can finally get rolling on my lessons! Today another friend started putting the grill together...one part is too small believe it or not! Called Target where we bought it and off there tomorrow night to return small part and, hopefully, get the right one so we can finish up and start grilling!!! He brought is two 2 year old beagles (both boys) and my 14 year old Lacey was the perfect little hostess...I forgot how nosy and rambunctious young dogs are but they are sweethearts. Gotta run, fun stuff still awaits like getting the trash together and lunch for tomorrow. Will check in tomorrow..enjoy your evening. (((Hugs))) to all that need them - good thoughts and prayers are being sent your way. Donna
    ...See More

Stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff!

Q

Comments (61)
    "Just wait until you have to pack up all that crap and move it." My SIL just bought a retirement home so they are decluttering their current house as a preparation for selling it--she keeps telling me she can't believe how much STUFF she's got to get rid of. When I go to their house I always admire how it looks nicely organized and without extraneous things all over. However, I also admire her tons of closets and storage space which she says leads to keeping, you guessed it, all that stuff LOL. I've decided I will play a mental game this summer and pretend we have to move; maybe that will be my motivation to get rid of much unnecessary and unused stuff in our house! I use the holidays and shopping for gifts to satisfy any yen I may have to be a retail hunter/gatherer. The past few years I increasingly feel as if I am gorging myself after staying on a careful and healthy diet; by the time January comes I feel so psychically bloated from all the shopping /buying that I need another year to rest up and recover! It's interesting to me to watch my young adult daughter who is setting up her first home. She loveslovesloves Home Goods, Marshalls, Pier 1 etc. And when I go with her I usually find stuff I could easily buy. I have a rule that I can't take anything from those places home the day I see it. That usually short circuits the purchase, I'm rarely motivated enough to fight the traffic and crowds to go back a second time!
    ...See More
  • faltered
    16 years ago

Patti: Your new job sounds wonderful! I have such a hard time with names, I can only imagine learning twelve overnight! Here is wishing you loads of happiness in your new job and may you stimulate mind and spirit alike.

Meghan: Your new patio set sounds lovely. I hope you'll share some photos with us when it's all set up!

Memo: It sounds like your garden is just bursting at the seams with blooms. And your first steer- you go girl!!! Congrats.

As for me, we closed on our house yesterday- yay! I'm so glad that's finally all over. Well, mostly. We still have to get the second set of keys to the house. And we have loads of cleaning to do before we move in next weekend. Yikes!

I have hardly had any time to garden, which is disappointing. But when I came to work this morning I noticed daylilies, dianthus, peonies, and lupine blooming. Daylilies on the first of June!? These gals are a month early- can you believe it? It's this crazy weather of ours.

Tracy

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Hi Patti
    I started doing the work you are now doing at about the age of 12. I'm still doing it, but now just not for pay!!
    I LOVE it. Congratulations to you. Your attitude makes the difference in this field as to if you find the job stressful or emotionally taxing. It can be at times, but it can also be incredibly fun. I really hope that you will be give the opportunity to do some creative things. At times, some of these types of programs can be restrictive - just out of fear and protection. But given the right 'climate' you can really do the most phenomenal, fun things to let people experience the joy of life and the ability to think for themselves.
    What a wonderful opportunity for you! I'm so excited!!

My weeks have been a bit crazy. Friday is my "Saturday" for rest these last few weeks!! I have wonderful news.

Our gardening program Seedtime & Harvest has recieved a grant from Heifer International! It is sizeable for us, and will allow us to do so many things. Georgia Organics is stepping up to the plate to use their leverage and people in the effort to get us many supplies for free or steep discount. This will make the money go even farther. I have not one but TWO groups of people ready and willing to further my gardening projects at the church. One group made 4 benches at my request (they are lovely), and is going to help me prepare new gardens to surround conversation areas directly in the garden. Plus the memorial pond!!

Every week I go to the local Farmers Market with my cart and sell plants. I am exempt from fees since it is for Seedtime & Harvest. I don't sell much. That is not the point. It is fun, and people can learn more about our folks and also organic gardening. I now get to sit at the very front gate with my little cart and wave at everyone as they come.

Have been asked to continue with my garden education programs to the public. This includes working with some other women developing a sustainable, edible, ornamental front yard food garden which will be a very long project with a small amount of students. Also getting into teach more sustainable living classes with water conservation.

Made 6 rain barrels this last month. Work on the house is moving along. We are slow - down to two workers but it is beautiful quality work. I'm pleased!!

GGG

• georich5
    16 years ago

Pattioh,
    Your new job sounds wonderfully rewarding. My DD1's SIL has a job like that in Mentor. Both my DD's work in care facilities. One is a dietition and the other is in admissions. They said they always try to "look for the feffa in all their residents". WOW...that's deep.
    My June is going to fly by. Jilly, DD2, is getting married June 30th. Today I had to turn in all the money outstanding. OUCH! Now I am outstanding...in a field. DH and I decided we'd vacation at home for the summer. We're trying to tackle many things that have been put on the back burner. He has one more week of school and then he's going to retire...again.
    Yesterday was our 38th wedding anniversary so we went out to dinner and a movie. Meal was fantastic at Flemings the movie, Pirates #3, was kind of confusing. We think we liked 2 then 1 better.
    I agree with Tracy--- my flowers are ahead of themselves also. We got a little rain today and I swear I could hear them growing. I'm trying to emulate gottagarden's lovely red bed!!!! But I need to get some more LARGE red things. The bed is about 100 yards from the house. I need to see the plants. Got some hibiscus, amaranthus, salvia, day lillies. so far. Heading to the nursery tomorrow.
    We are in for some rain this coming week which will help greatly. We lost about 5 cabbage plants and one sweet potato because it was too dry in the veggie garden. It took 5 garden hoses to get water over there.

Happy growing everyone,
    georgeanne

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Patti ~ Congrats on your new job experience. With an open and willing, caring heart you will go far and your patients will love you! Do keep us posted. I just read a book recently called 'The Perfect Mess ~ The Hidden Benefits of Disorder ~ How crammed closets, cluttered offices, and on-the-fly planning make the world a better place. So, relax and sweat not the small stuff. All will work out. Do take time to stroll through your gardens and enjoy the healing effects as you take in the colors, textures, and scents.

Meghan ~ I don't blame you for taking hot weather time off for a month, then more time when the weather is cooler. That's really nice! What a wonderful experience it must be to homeschool your kids. I bet your wicker patio set will be just the right thing to sit and enjoy your gardens. Do take pictures, please. Oh my gosh, piano recitals are scary. You just set me back about 50 years. Bless your daughter's heart and I hope she does very well. Hope you get some relief in going to court over your neighbor's dog.

Memo ~ I always love hearing about your farm life. Sorry to hear that winter wheat was a bust though. Great news about your little mixed calf. Was it hard seeing him go? Your gardens sound like they are bursting forth and your projects will be a joy when completed, although a lot of the fun is in the doing.

Tracy ~ Hurray, you had the closing! That must be so exciting. Cleaning up the place, then moving in will be exhausting but exhilerating at the same time. After you get moved in and set up, you can start working on your new garden canvas. With all of this, have fun, and don't stress too much. Take breaks and drink plenty of liquids.

GGG ~ You are truly an inspiration in all that you do. Congrats on getting the grant. May all your garden aspirations at the church come to fruition and may there be plenty to harvest and hearts and souls healed in the process. Bless your heart.

Georgeanne ~ Happy 38th anniversary! I look forward to seeing your 'red bed'. Gottagarden's is stunning that's for sure. Hope you get some much needed rain up your way.

Here at Plum Cottage gardens, we are dealing with rain and winds and even a tiny tornado last night from Tropical Storm Barry. We are expecting 4-6" of rain so that's good. I'm supposed to work today, but we'll see what it's like when it's time to head out of here. Yesterday was the first day of hurricane season. Sure hope it's a quiet season like last year. Because of drought conditions, I'm just trying to keep things alive, so gardens aren't thriving like usual. We are under water restrictions also, so that doesn't help plants or my mood either. I was sick for over two weeks with a dang cold/flu bug, that DH had first. That really dragged both of us out. Now here comes the summer heat and humidity. I really shouldn't complain though as we've had cooler and drier temps longer this spring and that has been a relief. We are still working on remodeling and decluttering inside and out. I am thankful for the rain from this storm and hope this is the end of our drought.

Happy gardening, living, working, and crafting ~ FlowerLady

• thinman
    16 years ago

Congrats on the new job, Patti. Bless your heart for being the kind of person who can help those who have trouble helping themselves.

MeMo - sorry about your wheat. Did the flooding do it in? Interesting to hear about the oats already being cut, as in Mich. they aren't ready yet, although corn here is up and you have yet to plant yours.

GGG- you make rain barrels? I'd like to hear how you do that, if you have the time to write.

After my ten day trip with DW to Seattle and Victoria in the prime of planting season here in northern Michigan, I am way behind in my planting. We are having a pretty warm and humid spell right now, and instead of enjoying the nice growing days, I'm out sweating (whine), laying out irrigation tubes in the sunflower garden, turning under some too-tall garden rye in the veggie garden, and getting the first thousand sunflower seeds in the ground. Cooler weather is forecast for tomorrow.

Luckily, my corner cottage garden perennials are doing great and don't seem to need me at all, except for protection from a rotten little ground squirrel that has taken to munching on the pansies and violas. I may have to take drastic action with him, but let's not talk about that. :-(

My new (and only) rose (John Davis) is looking good in this, its second year, and so is a Henryi clematis that I planted near it. I also threw in some nepeta (Walker's Low) this spring to add a little something.

Good to hear from everyone.

Happy gardening,
    ThinMan

• memo3
    16 years ago

ThinMan, It is funny how we do things differently in different places. I would love to see your John Davis rose if you have a chance to take some pictures. I have it on my list for next year...sold out this year.

FlowerLady, I hope you get the much needed rain...without the wind.

Georgeanne, A very happy anniversary to you and your DH! What a wonderful milestone. I hope you get rain too. We'd love to see your rendition of the "GottaGarden Red Bed" when you are ready to show us some pictures.

GGG, you are such an inspiration. I applaud all that you do...but I wonder...where do you get the energy??!! I must be getting old. Congratulations on the grant. How wonderful that is!!

Tracy, Congratulations to you too! I'm so happy for you and Mike finally getting your new home signed, sealed and delivered. Let the games begin! This next part is the really fun stuff...you'll see ;)

MeMo

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

This is for Thinman about rain barrels.
    I got rain barrels by googling on "Recycled Barrels, Atlanta" and found a local company that recycles them. They held Sunny Delight syrup by the smell of it! Barrels come in different types. These do not have the screw on and off lids - they are easier to deal with, frankly.
    I cut off the tops all the way around the rim of the top. Then I cut out the INSIDE of the top to make a "rim". Then I flip this rim over, it now fits snug on the barrel, and I use GEII windows and doors to glue on a piece of screen. While the screen is drying I use three pieces: a washer, some sort of a nut that fits in the spigot and a brass spigot which I glue together with the GEII as far down as I can possibly reach.
    While this is all drying I use the hole saw to drill a hole way at the top of the side of the barrel for an overflow. I use two plastic PVC pieces that can screw together, and glue ONE in. The other is loose, and a piece of plastic tubing 1 1/4" is the overflow. If I link barrels, a make another one of these holes slightly lower (in a barrel that does not have any other overflow) and put tubing between the barrels...and an overflow on the last barrel not under the downspout.
    I cut off the gutter downflow to the desired height, and use the old banding to hold on one of those flexible downspouts and direct it onto the screen top. That keeps gunk out.
    I prop them up tall enough to put my watering can under the spigot or let gravity take water down to a hose. DONE!!

GGG

• faltered
    16 years ago

GGG: Congrats on the grant!! You will have to let us know how everything progresses.

Georgeanne: Your daughter's wedding is coming up so fast! You must all be getting very excited. I hope you have wonderful weather for her day. And I'm also hoping you'll share a few photos with us when you can. :o)

We got an offer on our trailer on Saturday. We are so happy to sell it. But the downside is the buyer needs to move in this coming Sunday. Yikes! So I have to move my garden in the next few days. Worst yet, it's raining and will be through tomorrow. I have to bust my butt to try and take as much with me as I can.

Tracy

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Hey y'all! I just got another job!
    The Village Hardware store that I teach gardening classes in has hired me to assist the gal in their garden department. She wants to go do design consultation for clients in the area, so I can go in and just be on hand to talk to customers about plants, and be there when the shipments of new plants come in. It is easy, a no-brainer and not many hours a week...PERFECT!

ggg
    'cause ya know, I need SOMETHING else to do, lol ;)

• thinman
    16 years ago

GGG - this is a couple of days late, but thanks very much for your detailed rainbarrel description. After reading it a couple of times I am wondering why you need to cut the whole top off. Is it just so you can get access to the inside of the barrel to fasten your drain spigot? I remember my grandparents having an old wooden rain barrel that sat at the back of their house, usually full. No screen on that baby -- just dip a bucket in and there you go.

Congrats (I think :-)) on your new job. I can't imagine how you will find the hours to do it!

ThinMan

• downeastwaves
    16 years ago

Patti! YEAH! on your JOB!!!!!

Just the "new" house new around here!!! Well, I'm still in shock over the slugs on the other side of the island! EEKKEEESSSSS!!!!!! Still think Edna needs to pack her sling shot and head over here!!!!!!

Leasa

Here is a link that might be useful: Befores

• slubberdegulion
    16 years ago

Whew! Y'all work way too hard, you're making me sweat just reading.

Patti, I'm glad you are enjoying your new job. My garden chores fell by the wayside months ago and I'm still playing catch-up. Passers-by always slow down and enjoy the nightmare of weeds and bare patches that I see, so what do I know?

And GGG, you simply amaze me with your energy. I do what I can to avoid dealing with people and responsibility and there you are wallowing in both. Going to the Farmers Market sounds like fun even to me though. Keep us updated on how it's all going. When are you going to write a book or get a TV show? If you need someone to check the doughnuts on set for poison, I'm your man.

We're on vacation this week. My goal is/was to do some clean-up in the front yard. Mostly taking out four small beds to make wider pathways, replacing rotten/rusted vine wires on the fences, etc. So far, I've been doing my usual puttering around. I have been potting up divisions and cuttings though, which I enjoy. Anytime someone tells me they like a plant, I feel compelled to pot some up.

We were given a name and number for a lady who has manure to give away, so we might investigate that. I keep thinking that there must be lots of manure around since there are so many local farms, but people seem to be well aware of its value. I felt like we were being told the location of a morel patch. A name whispered out of the side of a mouth and a piece of paper slipped to us with our receipt. Do I dare call? Do I use my real name?

Our Himalayan prolapsed for the third time in two months this past weekend, so now we're waiting to get an appointment at Va Tech for exploratory surgery. Our other option is to go to North Carolina. We decided to go with the teaching vet hospital at Tech because it's only about 45 minutes from here and vastly cheaper. China (the cat) bled all over the horrible floral print fabric Johnny covered the diningroom chair seats in, so we'll have to get some more. Maybe this time I'll be with him when he goes shopping.

Our back yard has become a destination point for all the little girls in the neighborhood. I never knew there were so many. They all know a suspicious lot about chickens, which makes me think a great deal of computer searching or library book borrowing has been going on. I think feeding strawberries and raspberries to the "starved" hens seems to be the most fun for them.

And random guys will stop in the alley to discuss building ideas, which makes me scurry into the house to get Johnny. I was happy to let one guy know that there are several coops in the neighborhood, he was just as shocked as I was when I found out. He may even copy our coop ideas, which is pretty cool.

Okay, I have mind-numbing vacation book reading to do...

kent

• mary_lu_gw
    16 years ago

Wow...everyone is so busy....

Patti...congrats on the new job! It sounds very rewarding! Don't worry about the beds, floors, dishes, laundry(just kidding) and all that stuff. It gets done when it gets done is my motto. After all, it is growing season and combine that with a full time job...the housework comes last... :-)

GGG, I was wondering how the work on the house was coming. Where do you find the time for all your projects plus another job? You gotta love rain barrels. I have 2 and use them all the time. We have an old cistern that we plan on cleaning out and starting to use. Probably won't get to it for a year or two, but looking forward to it.

Flowerlady, so sorry to hear that you and your DH were sick. Hope you are both better now. Here's hoping you get rain without the wind!

Memo, I remember growing up on the farm and bottle feeding calves. Teaching them to suck for the first time and also not to "butt" the pail. :-) Glad your crops are doing well this year.

Tracy, so glad that it looks like your trailer is sold. I know how stressful it can be to "own" 2 homes. Hope you are able to get your plants moved successfully.

Spring has been extra busy for me this year. DH is a long-haul trucker and is usually out 2 weeks. However, since Christmas he has only been home once a month for a few days each time. So all the spring clean-up, planting, etc. has been my job this year. Need I say that I miss him? :-) The garden is doing wonderful this year, but miss sharing it with DH. He did get through the area overnight a few days ago and was able to see the garden room roses on the fence in full bloom. I was so glad as I know how much he enjoys that.

Still have a couple pots left to plant. Have had the plants bought and sitting for almost 2 weeks now. The plan was to get it done last weekend, but got a SOS call from my DD and ended up traveling to visit her. By the sound of it I will be using a lot of my vacation this summer helping her out. Oh well, that's what being a parent is all about, right?
    Marylu

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

People, don't forget that I don't have children so I can be a hog with my time and spend it how I please!! Plus not having a regular 9-5 job means I can be flexible and fit everything together like a puzzle.

Thinman: I have to cut my tops off, sometimes the barrels like pickle barrels have screw off lids. I need screens for mosquitos and to keep debris from my gutters getting into teh barrel. Yes, I both dip and use the spiggot. I like the removable lid for a)dipping, and b) being able to wash the thing out. If water sat too long and got gunky I'd want to rinse them out. Plus, you need the lid off to have access to putting in the spiggots and the drain lines.

Did I not tell you guys about the TV show? OH my. YES, it is TRUE! Several years ago I was going to host a new TV show which would feature "The Mod Martha Stewart" however, the production company folded 6 months after opening and never produced a darned thing. My dear Paige was going to be with me.
    However, me and TV do seem destined to be together in one form or another...I have been the set designer, wardrobe and makeup consultant for a new show which is being shopped around.

GGG

• mrmorton
    16 years ago

Very busy time of year. It's hard to balance work, family, and "play" time.
    The garden is looking really good right now. Lots of things in bloom. Very lush and full. There are a few problem areas(perhaps for the Ugly thread?) but for the most part I am quite pleased.
    Now comes the maintenance and watering. Nan bought me a pair of those pruning snips, so I am now walking around the yard each night deadheading and cleaning things out. Gotta keep those Salvias blooming.
    Were supposed to get major wind(40-50mph) today that is bringing in some really nasty storms tonight. Yay. More flopping.
    My boss decided to have a dinner party this Sat. and Nan is all worried about what to wear. I remind her that this is a bunch of landscapers, and not to fret over it too much. Should be interesting, though. I hope he has good food(and wine, perhaps?).
    We've had both family's over for Fathers Day the past couple years, but decided to nix that this year. It just didn't work. This year, only Nans family was invited, but now only a couple of them can show. I'm wondering if we should have gone with my family instead, as my Aunt e-mailed yesterday wondering if we were doing Fathers Day. Nan told her no. The big difference being that my family is BIG on these type of get-togethers, where Nans Fam really doesn't care. I really don't like dealing with this stuff.
    Benjamin will be done with Kindergarten on Tues. That sure went fast! He'll be with Kindercare(AKA moneypit) all summer. I feel bad for kids nowadays. They don't get a real summer vacation. I remember running around with my friends for 2 months having the time of our lives. We will be going to the Dells in mid July(another money pit. I have fond memories of going there when I was a kid, so it should be fun.
    Thats about enough rambling. Back to work. Have a great day!

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

Hi everybody,
    I've never participated in this sort of thread before. This is great! I've really enjoyed reading everyone's post.

I moved to a new house last year, so this is the first season here for me. And believe me I have plenty of ugly spots, but I'm working on making a few of them less so. I'm concentrating on the front yard this year. Ari (my dh) got a buddy to take out some ugly bushes in front that were an eyesore and we put flower beds in. Ari likes to do the edging so it's perfectly straight. (he was in the military and he does things just so ya know. :) I'm fine with that because I'm not much for making things 'perfect.' :) I struggled with what to plant since the space is on both sides of the walkway and close to a busy street. It seemed that maybe a flowerbed would be out of place, especially tall flowers. But then I thought - a perfectly landscaped and mulched bed is not me - so I'm planting to my heart's desire! I put two blushing pink knock-out shrubs on each side of the walkway and now I'm filling in. One side of the bed is in part shade and the other gets pretty hot and dry.

Other than that, the company I work for is moving to a new building which would be put me about 3.5 miles away from home. For the last 17 years or so I've had an hour commute to work, so I'm absolutely thrilled! Gas here in CT is up to $3.19 - $3.27 a gallon.

Ari's brother and wife are coming up next week and I'm looking forward to a little vacation. We're going to Mystic Seaport, Ocean Beach and the guys are going fishing and the girls are having a girls day.
    I better get going.

take care everyone - and thanks for listening!
    Estelle

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Estelle, nice to have you posting! How wonderful that your job will be so close now! My commute is 25 mi. one way, so I hope we have a mild winter! Have fun with the in-laws!

Meghan, Your wicker set will be a delighful addition to your patio. Hope all goes well in court. GOOD LUCK!

MeMo, What a big house you'll have when that dear little grandson goes home. I bet he had the time of his life with you on the farm! Very interesting about your steers.

Tracy, I thought of you all weekend. Hope your move went well and that you're enjoying a quiet cup of coffee in your lovely new kitchen this very minute.

GGG, YOU just CRACK me up with all of your endeavors. Kids or no kids you have a load of stuff going on by any standard. Congrats on that grant!

G'feffa, LOL "looking for the feffa".
    38yrs, how special! Congratulations and best wishes for many more wonderful years together.

Leasa, I've enjoyed all of your new/old house related photos and comments that I've had a chance to view. Hope things are going well and that you're not getting "housemaid's elbow" (or knees or whatever it is) from all that scrubbing.

Flowerlady, "The Perfect Mess" sounds like it was written for ME! I've put it on my MUST READ list. Thanks! Hoping you'll have better weather down there for the rest of the summer.

TMan, I can't wait to hear how things go with your sunflowers. I'm toying with the idea of selling flowers by the bunch next year. Between the colleges in the area and the scenic drive we have a LOT of traffic going down our country road, so I would put out a little stand here instead of going to market. Will need to consult that Flower Farmer book by the lady with the long name.

Kent, How cute about the little girls that are drawn to you and your chickens. They will remember those little visits their whole lives, believe me.
    Hope you had a great vacation!

Thanks to all for the nice comments about my new job. I'll be "on my own" soon and am trying not to lose sleep over that prospect. Unbelievable what some of these folks have been through in their lives and yet they all manage to have a smile for me! I'll tell you, I go home every night counting my blessings!
    Hope you all have a wonderful week!
    Patti

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Hey People, we got a DOUBLE grant! The person managing the grant for us at Georgia Organics found us a matching donor! Can you believe that?
    I don't know how to spend so much money!!! It is totally amazing.
    My new job started today. Goodness, it is so easy. Talk to people about plants. Water plants the plant waterer missed (why we don't do that job is beyond me, but I guess they are training young kids to do maintenance jobs when we are not there, so they do it), pick off the dead leaves. Run in Monday AM to help order some plants (oh, tuff job!!), talk to more people about plants. Make up new plant signs all cute and fun with stickers and pretty swirly things. Take photos of flowering plants for future signs...talk to people about plants.
    And they PAY me!

I can't believe that we had two gardeners sell homes in a week. That will tell you the power that gardens have for buyers. As soon as everything burst into bloom, you two had someone who fell in love with your homes. You know, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that you both actually had homes, not just houses. They could feel the love,

GGG

• faltered
    16 years ago

Afternoon cottagers! The move went well (thanks Patti for the thoughts!). We had quite a few people there to help us, thankfully. We spent the weekend unpacking, cleaning, etc.

This morning, the cable man came (late, I might add) to get us "connected" so I am not out of the loop any longer. Now I just need to get my butt off this chair and start unpacking!

It took me much less time to dig up my plants and move them than I thought it would. I only brought over my lilies, a few daylilies, and some special plants that I've grown from seeds from you dear cottagers. Hopefully I can begin working on creating some new beds this week. And take some pictures to share, of course.

Tracy

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

Congratulations, Tracy - can't wait to see your pics. :)

• User
    15 years ago

Dear sir,
    Our co-operation is one of the leading companies in the field of producing & export we are manly produce agricultural organic fertilizer weather providing the local market our the international market with the highly qualified products and we believe in the loyalty of providing the market -in & outside Egypt- with the best that we can offer of the best offered in the market
    Our spic a a following
    Organic Fertilizer (Compost)Specific as following
    GUARANTEED MINIMUM ANALYSIS As Received Basis Dry Matter Basis
    Total Nitrogen (N) 2.29% 1.92%
    Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 0.11% 0.21%
    Soluble Potash (K2O) 0.16% 0.28%
    Calcium (Ca) 1.30% 2.00%
    Maximum Moisture 50% - %
    Minimum Organic Matter 25.0% 50%

And our price is 160$ per ton FOB Egypt port .

Best regards
    Magd Donia
    aldonias@gmail.com

• thinman
    15 years ago

There you go, Egyptian cottagers...

TM

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Hmmm, careful study of the analysis of the above mentioned Egytian material reveals that this is a fertilizer sadly lacking in nutrients. We usually look for something like 8-8-8 or 6-8-6. With an average analysis of 2/.2./.2, and a minimum moisture of 50% (half water weight?), that's not a bargain at $160 a ton. Most of us live near where a ton of something organic is virtually free for the hauling: gin trash, brewery waste, chipped trees, spoiled hay, chicken litter, used coffee grounds and other compostables.

The material in question was not identified beyond being called 'organic' -- draw your own conclusions.

A Crock of What?

Nell

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Well, I'd say a crock of something usually considered far more nourishing to a garden !!! lol. What a thing!!

Nancy.

• plantmaven
    15 years ago

LOL!

• memo3
    15 years ago

You guys are a HOOT!

So sorry this manly producer hijacked your thread Patti! LOL!

Sponsored