SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

A few clematis questions-wilt/prune type/zone 5/....

cheerpeople
18 years ago

Is there a list of wilt resistent varieties or all they all susectible?

So far I've been lucky and these have not had wilt for me:

C viticella venosa violacea

gillian blades

c. tangutica

sweet autumn clematis

Is that because these are resistent or because I haven't brought in the wilt pathogen yet?

The reason I'm asking is i would like to cover a tall eyesore with a vine-- actually several-- to have an extended bloom season. i am in zone 5 so they would have to tolerate that level of cold, and be a tall variety. These listed above have a bloom time of 3 weeks with the exception of viticella which blooms so poorly (and is so short) i didn't record it.

To make it more difficult I also need this collection of clematis to bloom only purple to go with the theme of that garden.

So what do you suggest i get? Is three weeks typical or do some have a longer bloom time?

Also I've been reading that sweet autmn, tangutine are on a type c prune schedule. What about the others? For type c it says to prune "at teh bud" a foot off the ground. What's the bud??

Also if I need to prune some and not others at different times it might be complicated as they would grow tangled into ea other. So a similar pruning needs of teh purple ones you suggest might make this more successful.

LMK what you think or a good site to sort out this complicated clematis stuff.

thx karen

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio