SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningheidi

Starting a rose/clematis blend in fall

GardeningHeidi
10 years ago

I have a three-foot chain link fence with which I'd like to do something beautiful. At first I was going to plant trumpet vine, but a wise soul in the vine forum warned me away from that. He suggested rose vines, and in googling possible candidates, I came across the idea of grouping rose vines and clematis. (I know this is old knowledge to even moderately experienced gardeners. I'm rather new and ignorant. I'm enthusiastic, though.)

My question is whether such a grouping could be started in the fall. I'm in zone 5, and my soil is rather alkaline. From what I've read, that makes the clematis a good candidate for this area, and we've still got a month or two of good weather left. Is it too late to start clematis and/or roses? The one thing this spot does have going for it is full sun all day every day, if that affects whether or not I can plant them this time of year.

Also, I'm leaning toward the yellow rose/purple clematis blend. I know it's fairly common, though. Is there another attractive blend--or specific breeds of clematis and/or roses--that a new gardener would be wise to try?

Comments (30)